Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Canada sent out notifications. Not selected but not too broken up about it. After reading more on it (I did very little research before applying!) I really don't think it was the best funding option for my dissertation and I have a few more things in the works. Good luck to everyone else! (NS in the subject line) 

Thank you for sharing the email title. Good to hear that you have other options open! Good luck :)

Has anyone else looked at the Medical Clearance Form?  I don't remember when I was vaccinated.  Do doctors have that information on file?  I've moved so much, I can't remember who to contact. . . .

Physicians usually have your immunizations on file if you received the vaccine there or if you provided them with that information when you started attending that practice (either through your reporting or getting the files from your previous PCP).  

However, I would suspect that your undergrad might have those records.  I know when I started I had to provide the university health service with my history of vaccines.  Its worth a shot.  :D 

The April 15th rumor did not hold true and I am sad.... : (

I am too. I wonder why the State Department is so backed up. Could it really just be because of the shutdown? Wouldn't there part in the process have started way after?

Oh well... At least now we are getting multiple notifications a day...

Haha.. the Eurasia Stress boat - I like it! (The term... not being on it) Do you feel like the shutting down of the American Councils in Russia would have an effect on this? Or all the mess with Ukraine and Crimea? I heard that Peace Corps volunteers were being sent out of Ukraine... I guess I'm just curious about the liklihood of Fulbrights being affected by all of the goings-on.

Well, since you brought it up... I've been worried about Russia and Ukraine and the immediate area for those very reasons. I haven't wanted to express those doubts here because I'm generally a very positive, optimistic person who likes to be a cheerleader for others! I STILL BELIEVE that all you Russian and Ukrainian folks are going to get to go, but must admit I think of you every night at 5:30 PM when Bryon Williams comes on to give us the latest news. On the other hand, as far as I know, nobody in the IIE or Fulbright organizations, nor the State Department has even whispered that student/cultural exchanges are on the chopping block. These cultural exchanges are so good for everyone involved that I would have to think if things keep deteriorating Fulbright would be the last program to get the plug pulled. LOL just reading this back tells me I'm still pretty dang optimistic! KEEP UP THE FAITH!!!  :)

Yes. The person is the same for both. The process is different for Central America though. Rather than award a specific number of grants to each individual country, Fulbright picks the best 26 or so from the region to select finalists.

Three weeks ago I emailed her and she told me "no final decisions have been made by any countries in the region." I just assumed no news means that I shouldn't have to check my email constantly this week or the next. I wish the email would have said "soon," but I would rather them take their time than rush through the applications.

That's interesting, miri1776, because Sub Saharan Africa does they same thing. They used to have a quota for each country but not too many years ago they changed that and now select for the region, not for the individual country. Theoretically speaking, if the top 25 applicants all wanted to go to Malawi, for example, 25 would go to Malawi and the rest of the countries would get none. I can't really imagine a scenario like that happening, though. I didn't realize Central America does the same thing-- I thought it was just we SSA-ers.

Hello SSA applicants.  I called Jermaine and he said that he didn't have any further news thus far today but he reiterated that he's still waiting on the state department.  He said he hopes to receive the final selections by the end of this week, but it could also be by the end of the next week.  He then said he hopes to let us know by the end of this month, at the absolute latest.  He also said that this is what he hopes and that he has no idea for sure. So, it doesn't sound like we will hear back right away but it could be soon?  I am sure we are all hoping for sooner rather than later...

ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!  LOL :unsure: Oh nuts!  jrk2115, THANK YOU very much for calling!  I truly appreciate that you did that. Does it kind of seem like the news gets a little worse every time we call?  We went from "we'll know by the end of this week,"  to "hopes to get the State Department go-ahead by this weekend or next week," to "hopes to let us know by the end of this month" in the space of about 24 hours!

I guess there is nothing we can do but wait.  I'm very glad y'all SSA-ers are in this forum with me! Somehow that makes it a little better. So Thanks!

Has anyone else looked at the Medical Clearance Form?  I don't remember when I was vaccinated.  Do doctors have that information on file?  I've moved so much, I can't remember who to contact. . . .

Yes, any doctor or medical professional who has administered a vaccine to you would have that in their medical records. Worse comes to worse, you just get vaccinated again.

This waiting is killing me. My friends keep asking me about Fulbright and I have no idea what to say. They know people who applied to Japan and Taiwan and now that both countries have notified, they are sure Korea already did and I just missed it because it went to spam. Ugh... I hate not knowing. It's actually kinda funny that it has been two weeks since someone posted that they had reliable info that the announcement would be the next day. Oh well! Let the wait continue.

Indeed, GnosisExchange, indeed. Let the wait continue. I'm sending out positive energy to all of us here on thegradcafe.com Fulbright 2014 page; I'm sending out vibes of peace, patience, and a quiet spirit.

Stay strong, everyone!!!! I know the waiting is like being dragged back and forth over hot coals. #thestruggle

You know what I love about you SmarteyMartey?  It's that you were selected but you're still here to cheer the rest of us on! I, for one, appreciate that immensely! Thank you!

You know what I love about you SmarteyMartey?  It's that you were selected but you're still here to cheer the rest of us on! I, for one, appreciate that immensely! Thank you!

Agreed.

:-) Thank you! I really appreciated the support in this forum! We are all going through the same thing and it was great to be able to interact with people under those circumstances. We gotta get through this together from start to finish!   :D

Awww geez, minusthehare, I'm really sorry. I was rooting for you. The only thing I can say is...life goes on. You'll be OK and you'll do something else or apply again. Wherever life takes you, I'm sure you'll do some amazing things!

Mozartgirl, thanks for the kind words. Life indeed goes on. I had some time to grieve and now I am moving on lol. Best of luck to you and everyone else who is still waiting!

This is all that I can do right now lol: bQBmYaS.gif

Mozartgirl, thanks for the kind words. Life indeed goes on. I had some time to grieve and now I am moving on lol. Best of luck to you and everyone else who is still waiting!

This is all that I can do right now lol: bQBmYaS.gif

I wish you the best in all of your future endeavors!

Well, since you brought it up... I've been worried about Russia and Ukraine and the immediate area for those very reasons. I haven't wanted to express those doubts here because I'm generally a very positive, optimistic person who likes to be a cheerleader for others! I STILL BELIEVE that all you Russian and Ukrainian folks are going to get to go, but must admit I think of you every night at 5:30 PM when Bryon Williams comes on to give us the latest news. On the other hand, as far as I know, nobody in the IIE or Fulbright organizations, nor the State Department has even whispered that student/cultural exchanges are on the chopping block. These cultural exchanges are so good for everyone involved that I would have to think if things keep deteriorating Fulbright would be the last program to get the plug pulled. LOL just reading this back tells me I'm still pretty dang optimistic! KEEP UP THE FAITH!!!  :)

Hey there, Mozartgirl53! First, I must confess that while I was being a creep, stalking this forum and whatnot, I was constantly thinking of how great you are for diligently responding to questions and encouraging everyone on in this process. I wish you the best of luck with securing a grant to Zambia!

I'm also a rather optimistic person, but I'm kind of a little gunshy with things happening in Russia. I spent the last year in Moscow on a Boren scholarship and I was determined to intern with USAID and whaddayaknow.. it was kicked out of the country during my first couple weeks! Then I ended up working with some people involved with the American Councils, and now that's getting the boot. Now I can see that these are apples and oranges... but Russian-American relations have done weird things that aren't compatible with each other before. For example, banning adoptions to U.S. parents in response to a bill placing sanctions on Russian officials guilty of human rights violations.

Nevertheless, I feel that everything will be okay with the Fulbright. There's just a little 5% dash of doubt niggling at the back of my head.

To everyone that is still waiting - I know you're all at the end of your ropes, but hang in there! Closure will come soon. My fingers are still crossed that you will get news this week so the anxiety goes down. You are all hardworking, deserving people or you wouldn't have made it this far! 

To everyone that is still waiting - I know you're all at the end of your ropes, but hang in there! Closure will come soon. My fingers are still crossed that you will get news this week so the anxiety goes down. You are all hardworking, deserving people or you wouldn't have made it this far! 

1. Thank you for always being such a good sport, sharing encouragement even after you've gotten the award!

2. I've just gotta say, that your image makes me very happy. Every time I see it I think "I'm ready to paaaaartayyyy.... in Brazil!" Haha... I wish you the best on your next adventure! And keep being cool and channeling Kristin Wiig :)

Edited by kdzhexon

Come on, Eurasia! I keep getting awesome networking/partnership opportunities for Armenia! One distant cousin of mine started his own NGO there and suggested I help develop a program on refugee women within his NGO. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! It doesn't help that I keep making friends with people in the State Department, but nobody knows anything about the Fulbright. 

Hi all,

I'm anxiously waiting to hear back. I'm hoping to do molecular modeling research at Uppsala University in Sweden. Good luck everyone!

There are a few of is on the forum now waiting for Sweden. They sure don't seem to be in a hurry, do they? Haha

Good Luck to you! Hopefully we will find out this week!

There are a few of is on the forum now waiting for Sweden. They sure don't seem to be in a hurry, do they? Haha

Good Luck to you! Hopefully we will find out this week!

I'm hoping that the rest of Scandinavia all finds out soon! (I applied to Denmark, but I'm the only one on this forum!) I really believed we would've found out by now.

If notifications for Korea don't go out today we will have hit an unprecedented time lapse - so all bets are kind of off to me at this point... Coincidentally enough - if they WERE to send out notifications today, it would follow the exact timeline of 4 years ago - exactly 77 days of elapsed time from initial US notification to final results. Seems almost too coincidental for the numbers to match up that precisely. Maybe we'll know before May?  

Yeah, I emailed Mr. Akeley about Korea ETA. Unfortunately, no word yet. I hope that all the Korea applicants find out soon! I need to know so I can seriously discuss deferment with med schools. Is the Tuesday/Friday trend based on the office hours? Or is it all just speculation?

Hi all

I'm anxiously waiting to hear back. I'm hoping to do molecular modeling research at Uppsala University in Sweden. Good luck everyone!

Hiya Nick,

I also applied to Sweden--I'm looking to do biotech/chemical biology research at Chalmers University.

Really really hoping we find out by the end of the week!  

Has anyone contacted Eileen O'Malley about notifications?

Yeah, I emailed Mr. Akeley about Korea ETA. Unfortunately, no word yet. I hope that all the Korea applicants find out soon! I need to know so I can seriously discuss deferment with med schools. Is the Tuesday/Friday trend based on the office hours? Or is it all just speculation?

It's based on past dates of notification. So mostly speculation. They also have done thur notifications. Crossing my fingers its this week for korea eta. After the 16th would be the latest we've been notified date wise.