Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

First time posting - I received a Fulbright ETA to South Korea! I would love to connect to other ETAs. Someone said that there was a Facebook group, but I am having a hard time locating it. Anyone know how to find it?

At this point in time, I'm not 100% sure I will be accepting it, as I was recently awarded a fellowship for a master's degree in secondary social studies education. I will be making a few phone calls over the next few days to figure out what my best option is (although if anyone has advice, opinions, etc., I would certainly be open to them).

Hey Matt! I received the ETA award to Turkey for this year, and I've been accepted to grad school too! Most schools let you defer for a year (especially if they know it's a fulbright) so you should ask the coordinator of the program what their protocol is. My program let me defer, so I suspect that's an option for you too!

I am so happy for all the people who have received grants so far.

hearing about everyone who recently got grants to Asia has just made me so anxious/a little upset we haven't heard from Vietnam yet!!! Hopefully it's soon!

Hey, I am also on the C. Asian train (Turkmenistan). I know that ETAs must to do a D.C. orientation for most C. Asian countries. Is that in your research description on the Fulbright website? 

Ahhh thank you so much Kj002. I just looked on the website and now realize that the D.C. orientation is listed for ETA but not for the Full Research/Study for Tajikistan. I appreciate the advice. It is nice to go from feeling disheartened back to just patiently waiting. It seems that those of us who applied to Central Asian countries will most likely wait until the end of this month, if we go by prior years' notification dates.

Lurker here, finally joining - the wait is intense. I am also awaiting notification for a Full Research/Study grant to Tajikistan. I did NOT receive a save-the-date email... auspicious sign for you, ominous sign for me I think. When did you receive the email? Did you also have an interview with the US Embassy in Tajikistan in late February?

Glad you emerged out of the shadows--are you 'H' from the spreadsheet? I honestly don't know what to make of it, the pre-departure orientation may only be for the ETA. Yes, a less than smooth interview, unfortunately. What is your proposed project? 

Hey, I am also on the C. Asian train (Turkmenistan). I know that ETAs must to do a D.C. orientation for most C. Asian countries. Is that in your research description on the Fulbright website? 

Pleased to see fellow Central Asia hopefuls! 

Graduate Grant to the ROK...No Joy.

Congratulations to all the ETA/Research grantees to the ROK...and to all the people who didn't get it, including a few I have kept in regular contact with over the past few months, full steam ahead...oscar mike!

I am going ahead with my plans regardless of this (albeit much poorer). If anybody needs any information about Korea, including living there, getting around, where all the pretty girls hang out, etc., then feel free to send me a PM. I should be there by June.

Good game everyone!

J

IT WAS A (P)!!!

Omo! OMG! Omo!

tumblr_n2o6hiTLqw1sh559jo1_250.gif

I am so excited and my parents sounded so happy when I told them over the phone (even though they are sad I'll be so far from home). I was convinced that I was going to be an alternate, so I can't even. Actually, I didn't even see the email from Fulbright because my fellowship office had sent me like three congratulatory emails right after they found out as well. I can't wait to meet all of the other Korea ETAs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, I really want to congratulate everyone that got recommended even if you didn't get it. I have been amazed to see all the people on this forum and was doubting myself because you all seem so smart and accomplished

Jeremy-Renner.gif

I GOT THE RESEARCH  FULBRIGHT TO SOUTH KOREA!!!!!!!!! YAAASSS LAWD!!!

I highly approve of these GIFs guys, keep them coming :D

First time posting but

Attention China applicants!

I emailed Mr. Akeley and he said:

"We do not know exactly when the notifications will go out because we don’t yet have budget approvals for China, but they will definitely not go out this week.

If we’re lucky, notifications will be sent mid-next week."

long-time lurker, first time poster!

accepted to Fulbright SK ETA!!! congrats to all :)

also, do we have to reply to their email or something to formally accept? or will the paperwork that we'll be getting shortly shed more light on that?

Hey! Lurker/just-now poster (I didn't want my nerves to further fuel our collective force of anxieties during the waiting process), recently got alternate for Brazil ETA :( 

I wish all the best Fulbright adventures to everyone who got principal status to their dream country, lots of positive energy to those waiting/in alternate limbo, and other types of adventures/next year's Fulbright journey for non-selects! You peeps are so full of life, humor, & empathy, I know it's going to be a fun ride for you no matter what! 

Also, even while I am going to move on & practice the art of stopping myself from fantasizing about the teeniest hope that my alternate status changes, I'm concerned about the funding for all who start/would potentially start their Fulbright year in 2015 (Brazil candidates included)-- I may be late to the party if y'all already discussed this, but I just came across the news about the proposed $30 M budget cut to the Fulbright for 2015: http://www.fulbright.at/fileadmin/user_upload/allgemein/Save_Fulbright/save_fulbright_executive_summary.pdf

Does anyone have any thoughts on how this would affect programs with 2015 start dates? Anyone else going to get involved in the call to action? I'm just so indignant that such a life- and global relations-altering program that has been a staple in bridging gaps and building connections, could be cut back to such an extent...when the Fulbright man himself established it to be free from any individual administration's interests (I am not commenting on the president/our current administration, just this newest budget proposal), and foreign countries have contributed to, and put faith in, this partnership program. 

I'm going to write my senator and congresswoman, and hope that we can help keep the Fulbright cultural bridges going strong for our & other generations! Okay, sermon over :P   

#SaveFulbright

Hey CONGRATS!! I also applied but unfortunately was Not Selected. Did you apply for the Elementary position? I have been lurking for a while and decided to make an account. Anyways, congrats!!!!

Hey thanks so much! I'm really sorry that you didn't get this but don't let it get you down. This is just the beginning for you and I'm sure that you've got so much ahead of you. Being recommended is an incredible feat in itself! I applied for a secondary school position!

First time posting - I received a Fulbright ETA to South Korea! I would love to connect to other ETAs. Someone said that there was a Facebook group, but I am having a hard time locating it. Anyone know how to find it?

At this point in time, I'm not 100% sure I will be accepting it, as I was recently awarded a fellowship for a master's degree in secondary social studies education. I will be making a few phone calls over the next few days to figure out what my best option is (although if anyone has advice, opinions, etc., I would certainly be open to them).

Hi Matt! I was able to defer my funding a year and I bet you will too! Getting the Fulbright is very good grounds to negotiate funding options. Good luck figuring things out!

Have any Sweden applicants contacted Eileen O'Malley lately? I did on March 28th, but its been quite awhile now.

Are we the final European country to send out notifications now? We can't be... : (

Have any Sweden applicants contacted Eileen O'Malley lately? I did on March 28th, but its been quite awhile now.

Are we the final European country to send out notifications now? We can't be... : (

Nope, you're not the last European country to hear back-- Bosnia is still waiting :(

Hello. Congrats to everyone who has received good news thus far! I’m a finalist for a research grant in the Dominican Republic. Has anyone by any chance heard anything of when the final notifications would go out? I’m getting anxious! 

So.... doesn't look like anyone heard back today, and I'm guessing we won't hear anything for the next couple of days because of the holiday...grr this is an excruciating wait indeed.

I hadn't even thought about the holiday. Previously, my country has found out on the 19th, which was Good Friday last year. That would lead me to believe that they take an Easter Monday, not a Good Friday off. I don't know. I'm grasping at straws here. 

I hadn't even thought about the holiday. Previously, my country has found out on the 19th, which was Good Friday last year. That would lead me to believe that they take an Easter Monday, not a Good Friday off. I don't know. I'm grasping at straws here.

Hopefully!!! It'd be nice to hear something