Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

I am glad you are feeling better and that your elbow is healing :) Really hoping that you get it - you've been so supportive to everyone on this forum, and your project sounds amazing. Fingers crossed!!

Thanks rosecoyote! It's great to have such awesome people in here rooting each other on!

Oh wow! haha.. Thank you so much! I'm still really shocked they just realized that they didn't have your transcript, when I was notified back in late February. I'm sending nothing but good vibes your way and hope that you (and everyone else waiting!) get some good news soon!!!

Yeah I know! I sure would have preferred finding out in February. But...it is what it is. I am destined to have my notification later than the rest of my group. But I'm OK now about it. Thanks for sharing your story with me!

I've been upgraded from alternate to scholar.. I'm going to France!

Hey way to go, BeingBecoming! Your story inspires us!

Olioliwoo, I hope we're not putting too much pressure on you because of course we're all just so,so,so rooting for you to turn Aternate--->Accepted!!! I'm sending you lots of positive vibes!

I should add that I found out from my friend who works in the fellowship office, but the office officials at my school still have the stance "we find out when you do"

Croetiaeta, wow, you must be going bonkers! Knowing they know... Oh yikes! We're all here rooting for you!

Thank you so much for your kind words. I know that it will all work out, yet it is just hard after such a long and anxiety-willed process. I am happy that I still get to go to Malawi this summer to run a randomized control trial. So, I am excited for that and for new and inspiring opportunities next year. :)

I really hope that you get it.

Congratulations to all those selected and condolences to all those these didn't get it. We can do this. This does not define our success in life.

Take care. :D

Meupstdoes,

Thanks for the kind words. Fingers crossed!

Oh I'm so glad you get to go to Malawi this summer! I hope the trial goes well and that the data is good!

News for Eurasia:

I heard about Azerbaijan today: didn't get it

I'm rooting for the Armenian guys though! Good luck Maginz and Anahid!

Aww skosz, I'm sorry. And it's been such a long wait for you Eurasia folks. I don't know your alternate plans, but may good fortune follow you wherever the path leads.

Hi Mozartgirl, I believe it applies to all countries, but since I'm sure this is hardship for most people - especially to a far away place like SSA, maybe contact Jeremy and see if it is possible for him/the Fulbright office to book the ticket. I'm sure it's a common issue for people. My fingers are still crossed for you! I hope everything works out with the transcript and that you hear back soon!! :)

Hi FingersCrossed_118, thanks for that info. I'll be sure to do that IF/WHEN the time comes. And thank you so much for your continuing support!

Thanks! It feels good to know that this feeling is not failure. I'm going to just take a break from thinking about fulbright. I'm tired of it controlling my life. I started binge watching The Following, but i freaks me out that the cult leader was a professor.

Hey miri1776, Sirskipsalot, and Nella,

I'm with you all! I'm madly watching Blacklist, my new favorite TV drama, but I've done some epic series seasons I missed along the way: Criminal Minds, NCIS, Modern Family...you know! For me, writing helps me keep it together. I get absorbed in what I'm doing and forget about Fulbright, at least for a while.

I appreciate the support. I've been working out, watching tv, binge eating at times, but that nagging feeling won't go away. I think it's because my entire department knows i applied. Everyone asks me constantly if i won the fulbright. Ugh, i wish word hadn't spread. All that pressure drives me nuts. I'm going to take everyone's advice and just channel my energy into something else. I guess i'm just having an episode because i have this irritable feeling i won't hear back until May.

Just when i think all is falling apart, i received an email this morning that i won a grant from my profession's association!!! A small but life changing grant. No matter what happens, at least we know that our applications have merit. Oh gosh i needed some good news! I hope we all survive this.

I hope these moods swings don't give me whiplash :)

Fellow Eastern Europe Candidates! Expect a slough of notifications soon, hopefully!!! 

I just got notified that I am a preferred candidate ( (P) in subject line From: Jermaine Jones) for a Serbia ETA. I started crying, and I'm still in shock. Email came at 6:23 my time (Mountain), so it appears they are sending things out later and later. All the more time to be gnawing at your nails refreshing your email, right? Anyway, it looks like Serbia, Montenegro, and Macedonia seem to send out at around the same time (so I am sure some of you can confirm this), if this is not the case this year, then it should be soon. 

Please let me know if there is any more information I can provide to help soothe the awful, awful pang of waiting. My fingers are crossed for all who haven't heard yet and my toes are crossed for those who are alternates. I was an alternate for a fellowship last year, and the agony is tremendous; doubly more for something as big and life-path-altering as Fulbright.

*bakes cookies*

*gives*

Yay for an Eastern Europe notification going out! Congrats, and I hope that bodes well for the rest of us. 

Just when i think all is falling apart, i received an email this morning that i won a grant from my profession's association!!! A small but life changing grant. No matter what happens, at least we know that our applications have merit. Oh gosh i needed some good news! I hope we all survive this.

I hope these moods swings don't give me whiplash :)

OMG YES! Thats fantastic. Does that have a similar function to the fulbright? Or can you use it in addition?

OMG YES! Thats fantastic. Does that have a similar function to the fulbright? Or can you use it in addition?

It's a small 1,500 dollar grant that will provide money for an exploratory trip. The stipulation is that you use the grant before an extended stay abroad to make contacts at archives, set up lodging, and get approval from the host country to obtain documents! Since i study Panama's military period, i could use the time to gain clearance.

I feel like a sap for breaking under pressure, but life works in mysterious ways. I'm glad to have this forum! Only you guys and gals understand the back and forth drama of this process.i'm going to channel Mozartgirl and keep my head up. :)

I am not handling the wait well. All the uncertainty is stressing me out. I pushed back my comprehensive exams and haven't heard back from any grants. How has everyone dealt with it? I just feel like i've lost all motivation because i don't know where i will be in the next couple of months.

Sorry for the negativity.

Hi Miri,

I can definitely relate even though I have technically heard back. Both my Plan A (Fulbright) and Plan B (keep working at my organization) are in limbo states.

I obviously don't know if Fulbright will even contact me. I also found out yesterday that whether I'll be able to even keep my part-time hours at my organization following graduation is technically up in the air until end of June due to budget and state politics. This is stressing me out because if I don't renew my lease today, I risk not being able to room with my two AMAZING roommates next year and paying a higher rent. Add in finals week and the running around for a major work event tomorrow, it's been interesting to say the least.

I am in the process of trying to come up with a Plan C and making several alternate plans is the only thing I think will help in the long run.

Hey way to go, BeingBecoming! Your story inspires us!

Olioliwoo, I hope we're not putting too much pressure on you because of course we're all just so,so,so rooting for you to turn Aternate--->Accepted!!! I'm sending you lots of positive vibes!

Thank you Mozartgirl. It's a smidge of pressure, but bearable :)

My Fulbright roomie has actually been helping me to not get too bogged down with the alternate to accepted situation with her silliness. She jokes that she wishes that Fulbright would hurry up and promote me so that she can plan to visit me in France next year (at the end of her Fulbright grant) and I can be her wing woman as she future-husband hunts throughout France and Italy.

Just got the e-mail from Sweden: non-select (NS in subject line).  I really wasn't prepared for this...it feels like I just got hit by a train.

Congratulations to everyone who was selected!  I'm sure that the experience will be life-changing.

I am a non-select for Sweden as well. Wow, this hurts even more than I thought it would.

I feel like I just got hit by a bus. To top it off, I'm stuck at a conference with all my co-workers who knew nothing about this. This is going to be a tough one to hide.

I am a non-select for Sweden as well. Wow, this hurts even more than I thought it would.

I feel like I just got hit by a bus. To top it off, I'm stuck at a conference with all my co-workers who knew nothing about this. This is going to be a tough one to hide.

Just got the e-mail from Sweden: non-select (NS in subject line).  I really wasn't prepared for this...it feels like I just got hit by a train.

Congratulations to everyone who was selected!  I'm sure that the experience will be life-changing.

]:

jeeze, sorry everyone

The other person from my school was NS for Sweden as well.

Maybe they didn't give out any grants this year...

]:

jeeze, sorry everyone

The other person from my school was NS for Sweden as well.

Maybe they didn't give out any grants this year...

Wow, sorry to hear all the bad Sweden news! Its a competitive country in an extremely competitive program, so great job on getting this far. I'll be interested in seeing the finalized grant statistics for the country... 

I find that when I'm in public spaces and have something to deal with, compartmentalization is key. On one hand, its great having people around who can unwittingly pick your mood up (if you like them). On the other hand, its good to have at least one ally with you, or find a private place to quickly have a call with someone back home who "gets it."  

And remember that while it may feel earth-shattering now, you could very well find something bigger and better down the line. 

Aww skosz, I'm sorry. And it's been such a long wait for you Eurasia folks. I don't know your alternate plans, but may good fortune follow you wherever the path leads.

Thank you Mozatgilr53! You are such a wonderful person making everyone feel much better! I wish the best of luck for you!

Hi Miri,

I can definitely relate even though I have technically heard back. Both my Plan A (Fulbright) and Plan B (keep working at my organization) are in limbo states.

I obviously don't know if Fulbright will even contact me. I also found out yesterday that whether I'll be able to even keep my part-time hours at my organization following graduation is technically up in the air until end of June due to budget and state politics. This is stressing me out because if I don't renew my lease today, I risk not being able to room with my two AMAZING roommates next year and paying a higher rent. Add in finals week and the running around for a major work event tomorrow, it's been interesting to say the least.

I am in the process of trying to come up with a Plan C and making several alternate plans is the only thing I think will help in the long run.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I've been rooting for you the whole time. You are an impressive young woman and I know you will do great things. It's amazing that as a senior you decided to apply to the prestigious award. I bet you will definitely get a research grant, if you decide to go to grad school.I hope Fulbright contacts you. It must be tough handling the situation at your workplace. I hope they have enough funding to keep you. If you happen to get a job in Texas, I have friends who need roommates :) I'm hoping, though, that Fulbright will contact you. Hang in there girl.