Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Professional Development, that is exactly what Fulbright is, noted previously in detail by me if you looked at the other post.

Don't try to dispute that, especially if you just agreed with Isaac.

You haughty young people need to step back take a good hard look at yourselves and realize that you have some growing up to do and that maturity does not come from being haughty toward others or from being a negative nancy.                        

You can't disagree with me and agree with Isaac (sorry Isaac) all at the same time unless you plan on contradicting yourselves. 

Maybe consider a "plan B" on your route through adulthood as maturity comes with age not grades. DISCOURAGING PEOPLE IS INAPPROPRIATE ESPECIALLY WHEN NOT KNOWING SOMEONE PERSONALLY AND ITS INAPPROPRIATE TO TELL A STRANGER TO GO FIND SOMETHING ELSE AND VERY INAPPROPRIATE TO TALK DOWN TO PEOPLE IN SUCH A HAUGHTY MANNER. 

SPEAK OF YOUR OWN EXPERIENCES NOT WHAT YOU THINK OTHER PEOPLE'S EXPERIENCES SHOULD BE.

RESPECT!!! TRY IT SOMETIME

COMMENTS LIKE, "IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU'LL NEVER MAKE IT SO JUST STOP TRYING ALREADY or telling people the fulbright rules when no one asked.

No one deserves to be spoken to in a haughty manner.

"AS I SAID IN THE OTHER THREAD ...... "  "DONT APPLY" GET A PLAN B"   "Be more realistic (wth, you cant say that to someone you dont know)"

When you get older, you will be wiser and learn not to speak in such a haughty manner. Your grades wont get you that sweet heart.

You really need to breathe. Everyone's trying to give you relevant information, and from what I can tell (after thoroughly reading all of your posts on this forum and the 2015-16 forum), you should listen to what they're saying. The only reason their comments sound "haughty" is because you lashed out immediately when they tried to help you avoid months of (probably fruitless) waiting. Also, you're fabricating some of the comments that you're complaining about.

It sounds like you should have applied to Fulbright for the 2014-15 cycle if you're arriving in October. You could still apply for the coming year if you're planning on going to another country after this year of research.

Although my roomie and I's entry for the "Fulbright is___" contest (http://www.photosnack.com/FulbrightPrgm/ptpld8ll), didn't get picked, I thought I'd share as a reminder of what the program means at the end of the day. I think it's easy sometimes during this application process to lose sight of the big picture, especially with comments from professors, colleagues, etc. Yes, it is an amazing professional opportunity and (hopefully) it will be fun, but it's about bridging the differences and creating a better world :)

I know that whether I get the grant or not, I will always be grateful to the program for bringing my roomie to the US. She has helped me to see things from new perspectives and has helped me to learn a lot about the world and myself.

883904_10152443554512491_799318635278448

P.S. Sorry if this is a little bit cheesy ^____^;;

I can't believe they didn't pick you! This is so cool specially the "friendship has no borders" thing! 

I can't believe they didn't pick you! This is so cool specially the "friendship has no borders" thing! 

I think it was because they already had a few related to the idea of friendship. It was a cool idea for a contest and it was fun to see what everyone wrote :) I hope they do it again next year.

Hi again, friends.  Given the recent information I acquired re effects of significant in-country experience on chances of receiving a Fulbright, I have started considering whether to apply elsewhere (in Europe, which is where I really would like to be). The only problem is that Spanish is the only language I speak fluently (besides English).  I suppose I could try to learn French, Portuguese, or Italian over the course of the next year, but I was doing some research into countries that don't have a language requirement.  However, according to the Fulbright Student website, even "[f]or programs where language skills are Recommended or Not Required, if you possess some language skills you should submit both a Language Self Evaluation and a Foreign Language Evaluation Form. It will be advantageous to have your language ability documented, even though it is not required."

My question, then, is how many of you were awarded Fulbright grants to countries despite having zero ability in that country's language.  For example, did anyone receive an award to the Netherlands without speaking a lick of Dutch?

Thanks to everyone for all of the sage advice you've given me. This is such a fantastic community. :)

Hi again, friends.  Given the recent information I acquired re effects of significant in-country experience on chances of receiving a Fulbright, I have started considering whether to apply elsewhere (in Europe, which is where I really would like to be). The only problem is that Spanish is the only language I speak fluently (besides English).  I suppose I could try to learn French, Portuguese, or Italian over the course of the next year, but I was doing some research into countries that don't have a language requirement.  However, according to the Fulbright Student website, even "[f]or programs where language skills are Recommended or Not Required, if you possess some language skills you should submit both a Language Self Evaluation and a Foreign Language Evaluation Form. It will be advantageous to have your language ability documented, even though it is not required."

My question, then, is how many of you were awarded Fulbright grants to countries despite having zero ability in that country's language.  For example, did anyone receive an award to the Netherlands without speaking a lick of Dutch?

Thanks to everyone for all of the sage advice you've given me. This is such a fantastic community. :)

Hopefully I'm interpreting your question correctly, but I got the grant to Norway, which has no language requirement, without filling out the language forms (since all I can say in Norwegian is "thank you"). Best of luck!

I received the ETA without knowing any Korean, but the Korea program also included a six-week intensive language and culture study course. So...'tis probably a bit different than several other countries.

Hopefully I'm interpreting your question correctly, but I got the grant to Norway, which has no language requirement, without filling out the language forms (since all I can say in Norwegian is "thank you"). Best of luck!

Awesome to hear!! I suppose I should have clarified that this would be for a research grant.

Awesome to hear!! I suppose I should have clarified that this would be for a research grant.

I am doing a research grant as well. I did mention in my grant statement that I wanted to learn Norwegian once I got to Norway (language classes for Norwegian are hard to find in this part of the US), so I don't know if that helped or not.

I am doing a research grant as well. I did mention in my grant statement that I wanted to learn Norwegian once I got to Norway (language classes for Norwegian are hard to find in this part of the US), so I don't know if that helped or not.

Actually, that's a great point. I'm sure if you let them know you're committed to learning the language and interacting with the community, that helps a lot!  Norway sounds fascinating. Have an excellent time. :)

I was going to say the same thing there's many countries in Europe that don't require knowledge of the language such as Norway, Holland, Sweden, I think Switzerland, etc. Just look at the language requirements of each country to see if you're eligible. Good luck!

I think it was because they already had a few related to the idea of friendship. It was a cool idea for a contest and it was fun to see what everyone wrote :) I hope they do it again next year.

I know but the funny thing is that some people got picked multiple times. There was this one guy with glasses and short black hair that was in like.... 5pictures :7 could have picked other contestants imo I really like yours haha

Edited by japaniia

Yeah, I was excited to see a bunch of countries don't **require** a language, but the Fulbright Students page does say it's an advantage if you do know the language, even if not required, because then they know you'll be able to interact with the community.  So, it's good to hear that people got awards even when they didn't speak the language. :)

I received the ETA Turkey for this year and I speak zero Turkish

This is my first post on here and it is to all of the Alternates out there. I was just recently changed from alternate to primary for Thailand ETA on Cinco de Mayo (about a month after our first notification on April 10th). So it does happen just hang in there and hopefully you will get an email soon! 

This is my first post on here and it is to all of the Alternates out there. I was just recently changed from alternate to primary for Thailand ETA on Cinco de Mayo (about a month after our first notification on April 10th). So it does happen just hang in there and hopefully you will get an email soon! 

YAY!!!!!! Congrats ^____^ So glad you got promoted. How long did you wait between getting notified as an alternate and then getting promoted?

Fulbright Orientation

Hi all,

I've been trying to book my flight to the Orientation in June in DC and am going through the website suggested by the Fulbright. However, it's super tricky to navigate. Is anyone else having trouble or has anyone just booked flights to DC on their own and applied for a reimbursement. I accedintely booked business class through the Fulbright meetings booking program and had to cancel. It's a nightmare.

Congrats! Keeping hope alive!

First post here, but I just wanted to quickly chime in and say HUGE congratulations to everyone that's been awarded a grant so far. I've been basking in the positive vibes of the forum, and it has helped me stay centered as I (eagerly) await news on my end! Sending positive energy to those who are also still waiting (hopefully for amazing news)!

Thank you for sharing the good news! It gives us other alternates hope and keeps the anxiousness at bay. A big congratulations to you!!! :D

Quick post to send positivity and patience to those of you who haven't heard at ALL yet. Don't let the stress get to you! 

...And shout out to the alternates. We'll get there sooner than we think. 

Edited by sirskipsalot

Congratulations!

giphy.gif

Let's hope for more alternates turned Accepted!

First post here, but I just wanted to quickly chime in and say HUGE congratulations to everyone that's been awarded a grant so far. I've been basking in the positive vibes of the forum, and it has helped me stay centered as I (eagerly) await news on my end! Sending positive energy to those who are also still waiting (hopefully for amazing news)!

Hi exploretheworld, WELCOME!

We always love to have positive people join the virtual club. Where did you apply? Research? ETA? Something else?

GE