Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

I JUST WANT TO KNOW 

347.gif

^^^ forever that.

@gnosisexchange

that would be the worst. My university doesn't have an established Fulbright mentoring program like that, so the meat of his email was essentially: "all others have been rejected, we are relying on you for our honor."

No pressure.

It's 5pm on the East Coast. Time for me to rest my email-refresh finger for another day.

I found out I was a finalist around 5:45 pm EST though ... maybe they'll release until 6 pm? 

Ugh, I'm dying here! And I'm supposed to have a thirty-page script finished by Thursday morning. Ha. Fulbright is all I can think about. Then again, I'm worried that once I find out, I'll be forced to go back to dealing with the misery of my recent breakup. Man, I'm such a downer. 

The moral of the story is that I AM LOSING IT IN EVERY POSSIBLE WAY. 

I'm sorry about the break-up :( Had a few miserable ones in my life, too. Have you tried stress running or combining stress exercise and stress eating? My logic is it balances each other out. 

Hey y'all I'm a long time lurker as well. I'm applying for ETA in Laos and I noticed someone updated the notification application cycle comparison with time stamps. However, the data for Laos also got deleted, which was originally 3/21 last year.

I'm also checking my emails on the daily because I have to make a decision for my backup GrinnellCorps position in Thailand before 4/15. And I really hope Laos responds soon. My backup ETA position in Thailand is definitely not bad, but of course Fulbright is my first option and it would really suck if the email came after I had to respond for my GrinnellCorps position. My friend is also awaiting on Korea and we thought we'd hear back by now since they notified late March last year. Our countries in prior years have notified late April, but we saw a trend notifying in March so we were hopeful. All these delays aren't making us feel better.

Here's to us Asia hopefuls!

Edited by starlettmimi

Hey y'all I'm a long time lurker as well. I'm applying for ETA in Laos and I noticed someone updated the notification application cycle comparison with time stamps. However, the data for Laos also got deleted, which was originally 3/21 last year.

I'm also checking my emails on the daily because I have to make a decision for my backup GrinnellCorps position in Thailand before 4/15. And I REALLY need Laos to respond. My backup ETA position in Thailand is definitely not bad, but of course Fulbright is my first option and it would really suck if the email came after I had to respond for my GrinnellCorps position. My friend is also awaiting on Korea and we thought we'd hear back by now since they notified late March last year. Our countries in prior years have notified late April, but we saw a trend notifying in March so we were hopeful. All these delays aren't making us feel better.

Here's to us Asia hopefuls!

April is definitely our month! I am applying ETA Taiwan. :-) Last year, people were notified April 2...tomorrow is April second but I have also heard some talk from Fulbright about two-three weeks from now. Oye! 

I'm sorry about the break-up :( Had a few miserable ones in my life, too. Have you tried stress running or combining stress exercise and stress eating? My logic is it balances each other out. 

I've done a bit of everything, haha. I went through a huge breakup of a three-year relationship that took me two years to move past, and this was my first relationship after finally getting over that. So it's a different kind of pain. But as miserable as it is right now, it would be pretty nice for him to be like, "DAMN, I broke up with a girl who got a Fulbright!"  ^_^

That's my attempt at positivity right now!

I feel like I need to pop on and remind everyone of this a little too often: While everyone is stressed out and anxious, you should be mindful of how you express yourself. The younger generation was born with an ethernet cable as an umbilical cord, and I think they forget that the internet is not anonymous. Some anxious comments are perfectly acceptable, expressing frustration is also acceptable, but expressing anger outwardly in a childish manner is not becoming of a Fulbright Scholar. Save that for your private circle of friends. You never know who could be reading what you type. 

Sorry to be a "Mom", but you never know when something you type in a moment of panic or frustration could kill your chances for a grant, fellowship, or graduate school acceptance. 

I feel like I need to pop on and remind everyone of this a little too often: While everyone is stressed out and anxious, you should be mindful of how you express yourself. The younger generation was born with an ethernet cable as an umbilical cord, and I think they forget that the internet is not anonymous. Some anxious comments are perfectly acceptable, expressing frustration is also acceptable, but expressing anger outwardly in a childish manner is not becoming of a Fulbright Scholar. Save that for your private circle of friends. You never know who could be reading what you type. 

Sorry to be a "Mom", but you never know when something you type in a moment of panic or frustration could kill your chances for a grant, fellowship, or graduate school acceptance. 

Hope this isn't directed at me for bringing up my personal issue-- and apologies if it is! This is just a healthy distraction for me right now. 

That being said, I haven't seen too many "childish" comments. I understand what you're saying and agree that the internet sometimes encourages people to speak without considering the consequences, but most of us are relatively anonymous on this forum and don't use our real names or disclose information about where we're from. I think that, within reason, this is a "safe place."

But that's just my two cents. And your reminder is certainly helpful, so thanks. :)

Edited by sorubo

Very fair reminder. *returns and edits some posts*

Shouldn't let my frustrations from work + anxiety here sabotage my career.

Hope this isn't directed at me for bringing up my personal issue-- and apologies if it is! This is just a healthy distraction for me right now. 

That being said, I haven't seen too many "childish" comments. I understand what you're saying and agree that the internet sometimes encourages people to speak without considering the consequences, but most of us are relatively anonymous on this forum and don't use our real names or disclose information about where we're from. I think that, within reason, this is a "safe place."

But that's just my two cents. And your reminder is certainly helpful, so thanks. :)

Absolutely not. That is a perfectly acceptable thing to say. A few posts before over the last day or so have been less than appropriate. Basically - if you would not say it to your advisor or mother or another authority figure, don't say it on here. 

Absolutely not. That is a perfectly acceptable thing to say. A few posts before over the last day or so have been less than appropriate. Basically - if you would not say it to your advisor or mother or another authority figure, don't say it on here. 

Good advice to live by when it comes to the internet. Maybe someone should have told that to this lady: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2592293/Woman-22-probation-DUI-writes-facebook-post-saying-I-breathalyze-morning-I-drank-yesterday-I-passed-thats-seen-police-land-jail.html

Okay, sorry if this is directed towards me. I know i've been complaining a lot about wanting to hear back. I don't actually have "hatred" for the waiting, or for the Fulbright committee AT ALL, and think it's pretty clear I enjoy utilizing hyperbole and humor in my posts. If that didn't come through, then I guess I could definitely appear quite whiny. I will tone it down if it's actually bothering other members of this board. 

Okay, sorry if this is directed towards me. I know i've been complaining a lot about wanting to hear back. I don't actually have "hatred" for the waiting, or for the Fulbright committee AT ALL, and think it's pretty clear I enjoy utilizing hyperbole and humor in my posts. If that didn't come through, then I guess I could definitely appear quite whiny. I will tone it down if it's actually bothering other members of this board. 

Again - I have NO idea who wrote the posts. I didn't write down their names or keep score. But I do get updates in my inbox to this thread and have read some shocking comments. I do not want these people to tone it down for ME, I want them to down it down for THEMSELVES. I have the mouth of a sailor and some descriptive turns of phrase - but I know when to use them. Stress, be frustrated, make funny memes, make jokes, laugh at your own expense, cry and be sad. There are many ways to get through this torturous time and not risk your reputation.  

Again - I have NO idea who wrote the posts. I didn't write down their names or keep score. But I do get updates in my inbox to this thread and have read some shocking comments. I do not want these people to tone it down for ME, I want them to down it down for THEMSELVES. I have the mouth of a sailor and some descriptive turns of phrase - but I know when to use them. Stress, be frustrated, make funny memes, make jokes, laugh at your own expense, cry and be sad. There are many ways to get through this torturous time and not risk your reputation.  

I guess I am a total heathen or just foolish because I haven't seen anything that shocked me or offended me-- in fact I think everyone here is quite respectful, especially compared to many forums out there-- which is why I assumed it was me since I never shut up! However, it is true that you should never post anything online you wouldn't want your grandmother to see. (Though my grandmother swore more than I did, so perhaps not a good measure.)

Hey there Overworkedta (awesome handle!), thank you so much for sharing the news that you got funded, even though it wasn't a Fulbright. Congratulations!!! That was an important message for me to hear: Fulbright is NOT the only fish in the sea! There are LOTS of ways to get funding, if one has a great attitude (like you!), is persistent, and wants it badly enough.

GnosisExchange, it is we who should thank you for your upbeat posts and encouraging spirit!

Darce, it's totally OK to be a lurker here! Like Olioliwoo said, you're not intruding! We're all here to encourage and help one another. I also don't have a country interview, but I would say have your project down pat in a way that can be shared in under 30 seconds and be enthusiastic, and be yourself! I'm sure you'll do great!

Hey Vodnik, thanks for telling us what your FPA said. I'm sure the sequester has affected the Fulbright program and that's my guess as to why the notifications are "wonky" this year. We'll all keep hanging in there.

Socal14, Congratulations!!! I'm on the west coast too (Washington), but wasn't up at 6:00 AM. I'm glad YOU were, though, to receive the great news!

Hi there, Smartey Martey!  It's Africa's month as well! I'm still looking for someone out there who also has been recommended for a research grant in Sub Saharen Africa. Anyone?? Anyone??

Varlet Sirin, I'm so sorry. I highly recommend applying again next year if you can. And as Overworkedta pointed out, perhaps there are other sources of funding you can tap into.

Mrgold, Coongratulations!!!

Well, I suppose that sooner or later I should stop reading this thread and do some statistics homework (UGH!). But then again, anything to keep my miind off my in box! :rolleyes:

I guess I am a total heathen or just foolish because I haven't seen anything that shocked me or offended me-- in fact I think everyone here is quite respectful, especially compared to many forums out there-- which is why I assumed it was me since I never shut up! However, it is true that you should never post anything online you wouldn't want your grandmother to see. (Though my grandmother swore more than I did, so perhaps not a good measure.)

You seem to be missing my point entirely. My post was intended to help people who may not know better. I teach undergraduates and cannot tell you how many of them do not realize that the internet can be seen by anyone.

I never said I myself was offended. If you truly have not seen a single unprofessional comment on this thread, that is worrisome. Also your use of "heathen" implies some religious connotation that I am in no way referencing. As a godless heathen - I object.  ;)  (See what I did there - just a bit of fun)

I agree with everyone here...this community is everything but rude/childish...I don't think..if by any chance Fulbright was snooping around here (which I doubt considering how much work they have with sending out notifications and all), they wouldn't penalize us for voicing out our frustrations. I don't think anyone is saying how much they hate Fulbright but rather how much they wish that they could hear back soon. The internet is never anonymous, but unless you're looking or posting things that would threaten national security or could scar your professional reputation, I don't think venting out on the grad cafe forums is a big deal imo. But who knows, people have different opinions regarding internet posting etc. I tend to be more open about these things, especially since this community has helped me stay sane. :) Super grateful I found this community otherwise I'd be in a fetal position in the corner of my room and twitching every time I hear the "new" mail sound on my Mac.  :rolleyes:

You seem to be missing my point entirely. My post was intended to help people who may not know better. I teach undergraduates and cannot tell you how many of them do not realize that the internet can be seen by anyone.

I never said I myself was offended. If you truly have not seen a single unprofessional comment on this thread, that is worrisome. Also your use of "heathen" implies some religious connotation that I am in no way referencing. As a godless heathen - I object.  ;)  (See what I did there - just a bit of fun)

I got your point, I just don't necessarily agree. I am not an undergrad, I am a post-graduate professional who strongly controls my online image and am very aware of the issues surrounding online privacy. My use of "heathen" was colloquial. We obviously have different opinions, but while I don't monitor this forum daily or read every single post, I have not seen anything that "shocked" me with its inappropriateness. 

I am not trying to start some kind of argument, but I just disagree. Sorry. 

I've heard this before, but could not find information about it on the Fulbright sites. Is there somewhere that lists the guidelines for extending an ETA position in Germany?

I found it on the Paedagogischer Austauschdienst Website (http://www.kmk-pad.org/programme/ausl-fsa.html#c5639) in German. It says "Generally, all Foreign Language Teaching Assistants can apply for a second year in this program" but a third year is not possible. Plus I know a few people who did it. There are also blogs online where new Fulbrighters meet second-year TAs. Anyway, it is a possibility, but it is up to the PAD. Hope that helps.

Oh, and by the way, I was wrong about the site placement. I just received my acceptance to USTA and immediately found out (tentatively) my placement in Tirol. I doubt Germany can beat that.