Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Are you and your roommate in the same city?

We don't know yet, she hasn't got her placement. I seriously doubt it though, Teterow only has like 8800 people. But she preferenced similar Bundesländer, so we'll probably be within a couple hours of each other.

I'm getting really jealous of the people that applied to Europe. I really expected Asia to get things going after Japan was notified. Oh well! Patience is a virtue, after all. At least since I'm going to a human rights conference all weekend, I won't be anxiously checking my tomorrow and will have a nice distraction.

Edited by GnosisExchange

Any Scandinavia lurkers in here?

I applied to Sweden...I'm getting so antsy watching all the other European countries send out notifications! : /

Oh my god! Is this a joke?!

Germany ETA. Subject: Fulbright U.S. Student Program Notification

Yay! Congrats! I just got accepted as a Germany ETA too! It's nice to see who will be joining us ;)

• I can't wait to hear from Bulgaria!  Totally thought the country would have reported by now - almost all its neighbors did!  I'm thinking about contacting the Program Advisor on the Fulbright website, but I feel like that's an exercise in futility - it's like a Band Aid for the anxiety of waiting.  The only REAL cure for my jitters is the notification (though staying busy with work and exercise and practicing Bulgarian seems to also help pass the time). Stil. . . .  Tick-tock.  Tick-tock.  Tick-tock. . . .

I've been too chicken to email anyone. I applied at-large so I don't have an FPA either. ughhhhhhh....

oh wait..I misread that. No, I haven't emailed the Program Advisor, I have been thinking about it very seriously though these last two days.

I'm getting really jealous of the people that applied to Europe. I really expected Asia to get things going after Japan was notified. Oh well! Patience is a virtue, after all. At least since I'm going to a human rights conference all weekend, I won't be anxiously checking my tomorrow and will have a nice distraction.

Just a matter of time now! Let's see what Friday has store for us ROK applicants...

Emailed my program officer and I got:

"I would be hopeful that it will be sooner rather than later but beyond that we are still awaiting State Department approval to move forward."

Sigh. Does that mean the decision was made, but they haven't gotten confirmation to tell us? I didn't expect to find out before the 11th anyway. I was irrationally hoping that today would be the day. 

Still anxiously awaiting word from Malaysia... hang in there, everyone. 

Also, sorry to be a broken record about my breakup, but this forum has really been a great distraction and a source of hope for me over the past couple of weeks. It's nice to be reminded that there are so many paths our lives can take, and sometimes we end up doing things we never imagined-- in a good way. Those of you who have not been awarded the Fulbright but have still remained positive about your next steps in life have been such great symbols of this hopefulness for me, so thank you. 

Okay, that was painfully sappy, but I'm not even sorry. Haha. Here's to hoping that tomorrow will be the day for the rest of us! :)

Emailed my program officer and I got:

"I would be hopeful that it will be sooner rather than later but beyond that we are still awaiting State Department approval to move forward."

Sigh. Does that mean the decision was made, but they haven't gotten confirmation to tell us? I didn't expect to find out before the 11th anyway. I was irrationally hoping that today would be the day. 

Eileen O'Malley? Sounds like her. :)

Also, sorry to be a broken record about my breakup, but this forum has really been a great distraction and a source of hope for me over the past couple of weeks. It's nice to be reminded that there are so many paths our lives can take, and sometimes we end up doing things we never imagined-- in a good way. Those of you who have not been awarded the Fulbright but have still remained positive about your next steps in life have been such great symbols of this hopefulness for me, so thank you. 

Okay, that was painfully sappy, but I'm not even sorry. Haha. Here's to hoping that tomorrow will be the day for the rest of us! :)

I'm glad. I think we've all had some serious heartbreaks before, and the best thing you can do is delve into a new chapter--new city, new studies, new hobbies, new life. I'm glad you're moving forward into the future; it'll do wonders for your happiness and growth. Good luck!

Also, State Department approval? Like, I know they have to finalize our country's decisions, but do they ever actually...reject anyone at the last moment? What would ever cause someone to get an acceptance rescinded at the very last second?

Based on last year, it will probably be at least a month (if not longer) between when you get your initial acceptance and when you find out your placement.

If this is the case, that makes my decision incredibly easy.  I was also accepted as a Fulbright ETA for Germany, but my placement in Austria is ideal.

So to all you Germany ETA Alternates: Good luck and check your email again.  I am passing mine off. 

I've been lurking, but I am also waiting to hear back from Malaysia!! (I'm surprised there are not more of us on the spreadsheet considering the large number of awards.) Good luck with everything. I hope we'll find out soon. :)

Edited by epapageo

I'm getting concerned about Australia. I emailed 3 different committee members and none have replied (it's been like a week). I hope nothing happened to their funding. Their website says we should have found out in March and in past years it was around March 26th.  

Edited by mdog3000

I created a Facebook group called "Fulbright Germany 2014-2015 (ETAs and Full Grants)", if any of the other Germany recipients want to join.

And by the way, CONGRATULATIONS!

Hey kmshrader! Would you mind posting a link to the group? I tried searching for it and am unfortunately doing something wrong.

Got the ETA to Germany! (And so did my roommate!)

I also received my placement (because apparently Mecklenburg-Vorpommern is ON it). I'll be in Teterow! Hit me up if you'll be in the North. 

Congratulations, everyone! I'm the roommate, and I figured I'd say hello.

This made my day! Also, I agree 100% about the exercise. I've been going to barre (yoga/pilates/ballet) classes everyday and it really helps to take my mind of things. 

Seriously Fulbright=hogwarts letter haha

Also, State Department approval? Like, I know they have to finalize our country's decisions, but do they ever actually...reject anyone at the last moment? What would ever cause someone to get an acceptance rescinded at the very last second?

I know someone who works for IIE, and they said that the FFSB almost always approves the selected candidates. It would take something like a felony to get held up on that level.