Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Hey guys! Long time lurker but this is my first time to post. To my fellow Korea ETA hopefuls: I know someone called on Friday and was told that we would not be notified that day. Was there any indication of a time period that they hope to send out notifications? I'm sure I'm asking the obvious and that would be have been discussed on this forum but I'm just making sure I didn't miss that being mentioned!

Congratulations to all of the India applicants who heard back to today and to those who didn't, you will have so many more opportunities!

Hey guys! Long time lurker but this is my first time to post. To my fellow Korea ETA hopefuls: I know someone called on Friday and was told that we would not be notified that day. Was there any indication of a time period that they hope to send out notifications? I'm sure I'm asking the obvious and that would be have been discussed on this forum but I'm just making sure I didn't miss that being mentioned!

Congratulations to all of the India applicants who heard back to today and to those who didn't, you will have so many more opportunities!

It's okay! Welcome! My Fulbright Adviser got off the phone with Jonathan Akeley and he said they're primarily shooting for this week, but if not, I'm sure Asian countries hopeful can expect to hear in the next two weeks as well. I heard back from Laos, and based on last year, Korea should be soon - if we assume there is a trend.

Any one have any idea about Eurasia applicants? There's got to be a few ones out there. Historically, Russia applicants find out right about this time.

Hey--I applied for Russia as well.  Deeefinitely hoping that we find out sooner than April 17 (last year's notification date, I believe), but I don't have any inside info :/

A bit off topic, but relevent to our plans to travel abroad. I am interesting in buying a laptop because mine is crap. It's so dated that a librarian asked me if my dell vostro was a prototype for laptops! Rude! Well, I'm looking into buying a quality laptop. You know, putting a mac book pro on a credit card because I'm a poor grad student. However, I'm struggling with the decision. I'm going to research in Panama for 10 months and having such an expensive laptop could be a liability. I don't want to attract attention. What do you guys and gals think? Have you worried about your laptop abroad?

I found this great blog post about traveling with your laptop abroad.

http://www.transitionsabroad.com/listings/travel/articles/traveling_with_your_laptop_computer_overseas.shtml

Hey all, so I'm thrilled about my grant, but I have some questions and I was thinking someone here might know the answers -- and that others here might have similar questions. So here they are:

1) Any idea how to determine the amount of funding you will receive?

2) Can a spouse count as a dependent?

3) Is it true that you cannot accept any other grant while you are funded by Fulbright? 

Congrats to everyone who got positive news today, and good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!

Hey--I applied for Russia as well.  Deeefinitely hoping that we find out sooner than April 17 (last year's notification date, I believe), but I don't have any inside info :/

Any one have any idea about Eurasia applicants? There's got to be a few ones out there. Historically, Russia applicants find out right about this time.

Yes, I've been checking my email like crazy, hoping for some news. Of course, I've done some speculating and it seems like Russia informs applicants on a Wednesday, so I'm hoping for this Wednesday or next, but we'll see...

Good luck to you guys! 

Edited by danielaface

Yes, I've been checking my email like crazy, hoping for some news. Of course, I've done some speculating and it seems like Russia informs applicants on a Wednesday, so I'm hoping for this Wednesday or next, but we'll see...

Good luck to you guys! 

Finally to meet some fellow Russian applicants! The only information I know is that someone over there informed me by "mid-April" we should be finding out. Well, it's mid-April now. When I first saw the 17th way back in February, I was pretty disappointed it was so late. Can't believe only ten days from now it will already be April 17th. I'm assuming we will hear back very soon.

Did you guys apply for research or as ETAs? I applied for an ETA slot. Hopefully good news for us all around!

Got the email I have been waiting and stressing over for months now on Thursday! So happy to say it's official I am a Fulbright scholar! I got my placement contract in the mail that very day. I will be in Kirchhain Hessen for an ETA scholarship! Hope everyone else is getting good news soon too! You are all in my thoughts! 

Congrats to you and everyone else who got India fulbright!!! That's going to be such an amazing experience! I've always wanted to go to India!

I applied for research to Bangladesh and am still waiting.....fingers crossed any day now!

Thanks Hina! Crossing my fingers you get it! 

Finally to meet some fellow Russian applicants! The only information I know is that someone over there informed me by "mid-April" we should be finding out. Well, it's mid-April now. When I first saw the 17th way back in February, I was pretty disappointed it was so late. Can't believe only ten days from now it will already be April 17th. I'm assuming we will hear back very soon.

Did you guys apply for research or as ETAs? I applied for an ETA slot. Hopefully good news for us all around!

I applied for an ETA slot as well.  And yes, I was wondering if/when any Russian applicants would emerge! I sososo hope that they tell us this week because, as it turns out, feasting in front of my computer and stalking emails 24/7 has proven not to be a promising or healthy way of life. Here's to hearing back soon, and good luck to you guys!

I applied for an ETA slot as well.  And yes, I was wondering if/when any Russian applicants would emerge! I sososo hope that they tell us this week because, as it turns out, feasting in front of my computer and stalking emails 24/7 has proven not to be a promising or healthy way of life. Here's to hearing back soon, and good luck to you guys!

Nice, nice! I have been pretty obsessive about the whole thing too, hah. Given statistics though, it looks like applicants to Russia often have a decent shot, relatively speaking. If you don't mind me asking, how do you think the whole interview went? Mine went well, I thought, but I couldn't tell what they were looking for necessarily. I don't think I dazzled them with my Russian, but isn't the whole point of the interview for Russia, at least as I understand it, to let them know (because of the language requirement) you can speak functionally. Just curious to hear your thoughts. 

I'm an ETA as well! Team Russia ETA! YAY!

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high for this week because I have a feeling it's going to come next week, but hopefully I'll be surprised. I'm super nervous because I feel like I bombed the interview and my side-project isn't strong, but nothing I can do now, but anxiously wait. 

Nice, nice! I have been pretty obsessive about the whole thing too, hah. Given statistics though, it looks like applicants to Russia often have a decent shot, relatively speaking. If you don't mind me asking, how do you think the whole interview went? Mine went well, I thought, but I couldn't tell what they were looking for necessarily. I don't think I dazzled them with my Russian, but isn't the whole point of the interview for Russia, at least as I understand it, to let them know (because of the language requirement) you can speak functionally. Just curious to hear your thoughts. 

I actually ended up really enjoying the interview--but was paralyzed with terror before doing it haha I was convinced that I wouldn't understand/be able to communicate and look like a buffoon, but I think it went smoothly and we laughed a lot which (I think??) is a good thing.  I spoke with Marina; how about you?  Did you guys talk about the basic stuff like why do you want to do the fulbright, what would you do in the classroom, what teaching experience do you have, etc?

I thought that it was just a language assessment like the one I did for CLS, but then she asked me questions from the application, like why I wanted Fulbright, what I planned on doing after, what my side project was and I wasn't prepared to answer them in Russian. I got so flustered that I just tanked. So I don't know what they were looking for or how I measured up. 

But yeah, I had Marina and we laughed a bunch and bonded over photography. I'm hoping for some brownie points there.

Edited by danielaface

I actually ended up really enjoying the interview--but was paralyzed with terror before doing it haha I was convinced that I wouldn't understand/be able to communicate and look like a buffoon, but I think it went smoothly and we laughed a lot which (I think??) is a good thing.  I spoke with Marina; how about you?  Did you guys talk about the basic stuff like why do you want to do the fulbright, what would you do in the classroom, what teaching experience do you have, etc?

I thought that it was just a language assessment like the one I did for CLS, but then she asked me questions from the application, like why I wanted Fulbright, what I planned on doing after, what my side project was and I wasn't prepared to answer them in Russian. I got so flustered that I just tanked. So I don't know what they were looking for or how I measured up. 

But yeah, I had Marina and we laughed a bunch and bonded over photography. I'm hoping for some brownie points there.

I spoke with Rita, and I thought it went well too! We generally talked about pretty basic stuff: teaching experience, potential locations, why Fulbright, my previous experience in Russia. I thought I generally handled the questions fine. I mean if the goal of the interview is to demonstrate that we have "basic skills" as the website suggests, I think it sounds like we all did that fine. 

I spoke with Rita, and I thought it went well too! We generally talked about pretty basic stuff: teaching experience, potential locations, why Fulbright, my previous experience in Russia. I thought I generally handled the questions fine. I mean if the goal of the interview is to demonstrate that we have "basic skills" as the website suggests, I think it sounds like we all did that fine. 

She asked me how I thought I'd fare during a Russian winter, and I was trying to tell her that I'm always the weirdo out in the streets when it's snowing with no tights/pants on but forgot how to say "pants" and went with "leg things" instead.  Russian at it's finest hah 

But yeah, I agree.  I'm guessing that we all passed the test of basic conversational abilities, at the very least!:)

I just heard back and unfortunately was not selected for a fulbright to India. I wish everyone else the best of luck!! 

I wish you the best in your future endeavors!