Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

That's tough.  :/  I'm not going to do much different if I don't get it.  I will just not have this chapter/chapters in my diss and move forward, I guess.

My entire dissertation depends on me going :-(  I have about 10 grants submitted so far and at least 6 others to write in the next 3 months. Someone has GOT to give me enough money. (I need a lot...)

My entire dissertation depends on me going :-(  I have about 10 grants submitted so far and at least 6 others to write in the next 3 months. Someone has GOT to give me enough money. (I need a lot...)

I'm in the same boat.  Fulbright is just one I'm waiting on...and I can't really do the research I need to do for my dissertation until someone gives me a little moolah!

I've just watched this video on the Fulbright selection process in Kabul, and it's incredibly useful! I just wished I saw it earlier... lol.

I think this might be more informative for the people applying to study in the US. Why doesn't the IIE do this for US Student applications?

Thought I'd share this from previous years GradCafe users:

2010-2011 Fulbright for All Countries:

Alternates: 50

Alternates turned Accepted: 21

2011-2012 Fulbright for All Countries:

Alternates: 63

Alternates turned Accepted: 11

2012-2013 Fulbright for All Countries:

Alternates: 75

Alternates turned Accepted: 18

2013-2014 Fulbright for All Countries:

Alternates: 71

Alternates turned Accepted: 12

This might not answer your question since they're alternates to accepted, but I thought I'd share. I wish Fulbright could have a more clear picture of every country's selection process when it comes to the initial and second phases. 

So, are alternates designated in this round too?

So, are alternates designated in this round too?

No; alternate are only designated in the final round -- people are either given a grant, marked as an alternate or outright rejected. In this coming round, it's just a matter of being advanced (i.e. selected) or not selected.

Does anyone know how common interviews are for student scholar research applicants? If so, do you happen to have any resources that detail the process?

If you're speaking about the Student Full Research grants, I think they vary from country to country. In my country of interest I don't need an interview, but I am sure there are others for example the UK who do. 

I'm trying to read some articles for my grad anthro course and just cannot focus. I only have one course Tuesday that ends by 12.30pm, so I don't know what I'll do the whole day. I'm debating not coming back on here until Wednesday, but I want to congratulate anyone who gets to round 2 and I lack complete self-control with this website. 

If you're speaking about the Student Full Research grants, I think they vary from country to country. In my country of interest I don't need an interview, but I am sure there are others for example the UK who do.

Can you post the link to that?

Can you post the link to that?

For the UK interview information?

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/selectedcountry/244?program_id=217

Special considerations:

The Commission will contact short-listed applicants by email to arrange brief and relatively informal telephone interviews (typically in early February), at which stage applicants will need to confirm which university they wish to attend.

If you're interested in seeing the other countries you just have to select them from here: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/regions

and see if your country of interest requires an interview. 

For the UK interview information?

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/selectedcountry/244?program_id=217

Special considerations:

The Commission will contact short-listed applicants by email to arrange brief and relatively informal telephone interviews (typically in early February), at which stage applicants will need to confirm which university they wish to attend.

If you're interested in seeing the other countries you just have to select them from here: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/regions

and see if your country of interest requires an interview.

Yep for the UK, thanks! I applied for a PhD program and the Fulbright covers the degree! I hope I get it so I can afford to go (I also hope I get into the program!)

I'm trying to read some articles for my grad anthro course and just cannot focus. I only have one course Tuesday that ends by 12.30pm, so I don't know what I'll do the whole day. I'm debating not coming back on here until Wednesday, but I want to congratulate anyone who gets to round 2 and I lack complete self-control with this website. 

Do we know if the emails are sent out according to time zone?  Or will they all go out together, sometime after 5 PM EST?  Because I don't know if I could wait longer than that! 

Just put me out of my misery, Fulbright!

Are you guys opening the email alone, or waiting to open it until you have support of friends or family? I can't decide!

Do we know if the emails are sent out according to time zone?  Or will they all go out together, sometime after 5 PM EST?  Because I don't know if I could wait longer than that! 

Are you guys opening the email alone, or waiting to open it until you have support of friends or family? I can't decide!

Yes, please give us some good news Fulbright!

I've been applying to things and getting interviews and acceptances--so I hope Fulbright is going to keep this ball rolling.

They all get sent out at the same time simultaneously. I am opening it alone lol. 

Kbui, congrats on those others and good luck!

Cewarren, yeah. I plan on being on the couch with my bf when the results come. And then depending on how I feel, we may go out to dinner. I would like to go out for drinks but I have to teach my 9 am the next day.

For those of you who are applying to research/study at a specific university for the Fulbright, are you still applying there separately or are you only planning on attending if you get the Fulbright?

Update from my FPA:

"The results from the Fulbright National Screening Committee will be available to you

tomorrow (Tuesday), 28 January, at 5:00pm. At that time or soon after, you will
receive an email from Fulbright informing you of your application status. Since
this information will go directly to you from Fulbright, please do not contact me to
inquire about your status before 5:00pm tomorrow, as I will have no information to
share with you."

Update from my FPA:

"The results from the Fulbright National Screening Committee will be available to you

tomorrow (Tuesday), 28 January, at 5:00pm. At that time or soon after, you will

receive an email from Fulbright informing you of your application status. Since

this information will go directly to you from Fulbright, please do not contact me to

inquire about your status before 5:00pm tomorrow, as I will have no information to

share with you."

Read: "QUIT BUGGING ME!"  :P