Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Good morning, all! I hope you're all staying cautiously optimistic today because you're awesome! I made sure to schedule back-to-back meetings all over DC (AKA, absolute insanity), the last one ending at 8pm. I also have 2.5 bottles of wine and a hefty amount of Blue Moon as well as some Ben and Jerry's ready. 

Did anyone else find it hard to sleep last night? Good luck to everyone today!

I was up till 2 am…and I had to be up at 6 am for work…..whyyyy!!!! Today is going to be even longer than expected.

Hey Catholic guilt is powerful stuff man, you cannot escape its grasps sometimes.

I have prayed about it and am ok with whatever the decision is personally, but it's having to tell my Fulbright cheerleaders that I dread. If nothing else, the process has revealed to me who has my back 100%, but I don't want to disappoint people.

This person speaks the truth. Disappointing your support system is the worst part...but none of us will have to, because we are all going to get this!!!

And so it is written, and so it shall be.

Good morning, all! I hope you're all staying cautiously optimistic today because you're awesome! I made sure to schedule back-to-back meetings all over DC (AKA, absolute insanity), the last one ending at 8pm. I also have 2.5 bottles of wine and a hefty amount of Blue Moon as well as some Ben and Jerry's ready. 

I like your game day strategy! Best of luck to you :)

TOMORROW!!! I will likely still be at work, but I'm going to open the e-mail immediately; we've already waited too long.

But, this will be my reaction when I see an e-mail in my inbox from the Fulbright Program. Hope I don't scare my co-workers.

Troy-Barnes-gif-2.gif

Bahahaha I feel the same way!

After the worst week of my life--nearly dying from a stroke from a bad reaction to a new medication and breaking up with my girlfriend the following day--it would be nice to receive some good news from Fulbright today. Encouraged by a close Hindu friend, I made an offering to Ganesha, the remover of obstacles. In the place of a proper statue, I downloaded a wallpaper image of Ganesha to my cellphone, placing it in the middle of the my coffee table turned makeshift altar. I lighted two candles and three sticks of incense. Before proceeding to chant a mantra in a language that I barely understand and to a god that I do not believe in, I placed a banana on my Fulbright folder, and kindly asked Ganesha or whatever universal being that might or might not exist to remove the obstacles in my life. I felt less anxious, but that was probably due to the 10 mg of Ambien in my system. After a hot bath and a head shaving, we are heading to the local Hindu temple for a morning puja.

Although I rarely contributed to this forum, reading it brought me a sense of relief, knowing that I wasn't alone in this (you would think I was describing a shared horrific experience or a substance abuse addiction). I can tell from the posts that all worked hard for the Fulbright. I will make an offering for all of us this morning. 

Good luck to all, 

John Langdon

I was planning on just lurking here forever, but I figured I should say something.... On the official Fulbright website it says we won't find out until Jan 31st whether or not we've been recommended. http://us.fulbrightonline.org/about/competition-timeline

It's always said that, even in years prior, but they typically are early. I would rely on the fact that independent FPAs all chimed in simultaneously saying we would find out for sure today after 5 pm. This is in line with years prior, as well, where FPAs generally notified applicants that they would be finding out in a couple of days. 

The January 31 deadline is simply a deadline. 

After the worst week of my life--nearly dying from a stroke from a bad reaction to a new medication and breaking up with my girlfriend the following day--it would be nice to receive some good news from Fulbright today. Encouraged by a close Hindu friend, I made an offering to Ganesha, the remover of obstacles. In the place of a proper statue, I downloaded a wallpaper image of Ganesha to my cellphone, placing it in the middle of the my coffee table turned makeshift altar. I lighted two candles and three sticks of incense. Before proceeding to chant a mantra in a language that I barely understand and to a god that I do not believe in, I placed a banana on my Fulbright folder, and kindly asked Ganesha or whatever universal being that might or might not exist to remove the obstacles in my life. I felt less anxious, but that was probably due to the 10 mg of Ambien in my system. After a hot bath and a head shaving, we are heading to the local Hindu temple for a morning puja.

Although I rarely contributed to this forum, reading it brought me a sense of relief, knowing that I wasn't alone in this (you would think I was describing a shared horrific experience or a substance abuse addiction). I can tell from the posts that all worked hard for the Fulbright. I will make an offering for all of us this morning. 

Good luck to all, 

John Langdon

Glad you're OK (well at least physically)! Hope you will feel better!

Good luck to all, 

John Langdon

Thank you. The love is appreciated.  

Good luck to all, 

John Langdon

Thank you for the well wishes! Glad to hear you're doing okay, best of luck today!

Yep it looks like it is definitely today, just saw this posted on Twitter:

"FULBRIGHT SCHOLAR: Congrats to Andrew B, Greenschools Student for many years and now Fulbright Scholar to be an English Teaching Assistant in Germany! BEST WISHES ANDREW! WE ARE SO VERY PROUD OF YOUR WORK [and you will keep in touch]!"

"FULBRIGHT SCHOLAR: Congrats to Andrew B, Greenschools Student for many years and now Fulbright Scholar to be an English Teaching Assistant in Germany! BEST WISHES ANDREW! WE ARE SO VERY PROUD OF YOUR WORK [and you will keep in touch]!"

I've been stalking Twitter and I saw that too…how'd they find out so early in the day though??

Moreover, it's only the Fulbright shortlist…doesn't mean he's going to Germany yet. Right??

I've been stalking Twitter and I saw that too…how'd they find out so early in the day though??

From my understanding, FPAs may have access to a database that displays the names and statuses of applicants. I'm guessing his FPA told him early that he got recommended.

And yes, this is just the recommendation phase, but they probably misunderstood. Many people that I have talked to about my Fulbright application tend to get confused with the two rounds idea.

Edited by olioliwoo

The message my affiliation wrote to me this morning after explaining to them what was going to happen today: 

Hi ibette…thank you so much for your message!!!

Well, here we are crossing our fingers (an expression we say when we're hoping for good news) for the fellowship results…please let us know good news!!!

A hug from Colombia

Now I want to really cry!!!!

Moreover, it's only the Fulbright shortlist…doesn't mean he's going to Germany yet. Right??

Correct, his application has been recommended, not yet accepted. 

Well it specifically says "Fulbright Scholar" so it could be that it's not the US Student program. That program has completely different timelines.

But, this will be my reaction when I see an e-mail in my inbox from the Fulbright Program. Hope I don't scare my co-workers.

Troy-Barnes-gif-2.gif

Hahaha, true life! I'm going to try not to look at my inbox until I get out of work at 6, but who knows how successful that'll be.

I also bought an entire pie yesterday.  :unsure:

Well it specifically says "Fulbright Scholar" so it could be that it's not the US Student program. That program has completely different timelines.

But the mention of the ETA grant makes me think they are confused. Those are only for students.

But the mention of the ETA grant makes me think they are confused. Those are only for students.

True. It's probably more likely that the person simply didn't understand, like you mention. It's a bit of a confusing process.

Hey Catholic guilt is powerful stuff man, you cannot escape its grasps sometimes.

I have prayed about it and am ok with whatever the decision is personally, but it's having to tell my Fulbright cheerleaders that I dread. If nothing else, the process has revealed to me who has my back 100%, but I don't want to disappoint people.

This is definitely what I am most afraid of. I've tried to keep my application pretty quiet in case it doesn't go well. I was asked by my host affiliation to apply for this and I don't want to have to send a dreaded email of rejection....so embarrassing!