Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Hey all, I'm a doctoral candidate applying for a full research grant for Zambia. My proposed project is to write a history (cultural and intellectual) of the Chewa people in Zambia. Is anyone out there applying to Zambia or anywhere in Sub-Saharan Africa? Also, has anyone heard anything about age discrimination in the selection process? I'm nervous because I'm 53 and worried they may favor younger students who have a longer career ahead of them.

Your proposed project sounds great!  I was recommended for a full grant in Ghana.  However, I do not know anything about age discrimination in the selection process.  I would imagine that they would not discriminate at all based on age, however that is just my gut feeling.

Hey all, I'm a doctoral candidate applying for a full research grant for Zambia. My proposed project is to write a history (cultural and intellectual) of the Chewa people in Zambia. Is anyone out there applying to Zambia or anywhere in Sub-Saharan Africa? Also, has anyone heard anything about age discrimination in the selection process? I'm nervous because I'm 53 and worried they may favor younger students who have a longer career ahead of them.

Last cycle, there was one woman in her 40s who ended up an alternate for Estonia, and, according to her, she was told that her age was a contributing factor to her non-selection. I can't speak to whether or not this is indicative of how all countries operate, but I do suspect there would be a preference toward younger candidates for the reason you mention (more potential for greater achievements over the long run)... Sorry to not have something more positive to say here, but it's my honest opinion. That said, I really really hope I'm dead wrong and that Zambia is able to look to the quality of your research proposal as most important. Good luck!

Edited by Torrid

had us/uk phone interview yesterday. i give myself an 90%. missed a couple key moments to expand on, but overall...ok. so glad its all out of my hands now. just have to find a way to pass the time til mid-april. oh wait...4 papers to write. that should cover it. good luck to all!

Hi everyone! 

I don't know about you, but February drove me crazy with waiting haha But now it's March! You know what that means? Final selection season is truly upon us! I suspect that the first notifications might be given out as early as March 3rd (Monday) like our timeline says! Good luck to everyone! ^_^ 

Hi everyone! 

I don't know about you, but February drove me crazy with waiting haha But now it's March! You know what that means? Final selection season is truly upon us! I suspect that the first notifications might be given out as early as March 3rd (Monday) like our timeline says! Good luck to everyone! ^_^

This month is going to drive me crazy, lol.

It's the first weekday of March! Let the show (and madness) begin! *grabs popcorn*

Hey, I know this is random, but has anyone been successful in finding a post on a previous Fulbright forum showing what principle, alternate, and/or non-select emails look like? I found an alternate email but not the others... Just thought I'd find a new way to torture myself with the wait hahaha

Hey, I know this is random, but has anyone been successful in finding a post on a previous Fulbright forum showing what principle, alternate, and/or non-select emails look like? I found an alternate email but not the others... Just thought I'd find a new way to torture myself with the wait hahaha

If I remember correctly from reading last year's forum, the emails vary even among people in the same category (like people accepted but accepted to two different countries).

Fun fact I learned while stalking twitter for announcements, family members of state department employees are ineligible for Fulbright. I wonder if it's just immediate family or goes to even extended family members.

For those of you in similar situations I wanted to follow up on my deferral question:

Today my top grad program sent me an email agreeing that if I am accepted for the Fulbright ETA they will defer admission for a year and guarantee the same funding package as I was offered for Fall 2014 - the latter part of which I was most worried about.  This is ultimately what I wanted to hear, but I can't say I was completely confident they'd say yes.

If you're like me and anxious about how your potential future employers might feel about you taking a year's hiatus before starting on your degree, this is how they described their reasoning: "if you do receive the Fulbright then we will be happy to guarantee your funding in recognition of what is both a prestigious recognition and a great opportunity for professional development."

Sending good vibes to everyone fretting/sweating it out right now.  

PS: I followed someone's recommendation in January and started watching Breaking Bad to sort of externalize my stress.  It's only a little over a month and a half later and last night I watched the last episode.   :unsure:

No, but I accidentally e-mailed the person on the Fulbright commission overseas before I found out about the U.S. recommendation! I backed off fast, because I didn't want to weird her out with my anxiety about the Fulbright. "February-June." Ugh. Especially if you're trying to literally figure out what the next step in your life is (something I think all/the vast majority of us on this forum could relate to). I find early morning, heavy metal workouts to be effective. Yoga does nothing for my nerves/stress.

Not sure how I feel about contributing to your torture, but here is the e-mail I got from IIE last year:

Subject was just "Fulbright Application Status"

Congratulations!  We are pleased to inform you that you have been selected for a Fulbright U.S. Student award for 2013-2014 to Germany.  Shortly you will receive a letter from the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board with further details of the award.  This letter will be sent to the mailing address listed in your application and noted above. This address will remain your corresponding address unless you notify us in writing, via email to your IIE Program Manager.

In the meantime, be aware that this award is contingent upon your obtaining: medical clearance; a bachelor's degree, if graduating this year; official research clearance from the host country, where applicable; and required visas.

Please note that all selected candidates will be required to submit a Medical History and Examination Form before the grant can be finalized.  The form must be completed and signed by a licensed physician and reviewed by the U.S.  Department of State for medical clearance. 

The medical form has been posted online along with instructions and other information pertinent to your grant. You should print out the form and have it completed in accordance with the timelines described in the cover memorandum.

Please bookmark this url:

Pre-Departure Resources: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/resources-for-pre-grantees 

We urge you to visit this page regularly for important pre-departure information and updates.  It is your responsibility to keep fully informed of and to comply with all grant award requirements.

The Fulbright Commission in Germany will contact you soon with further information on grant administration and pre-departure preparation. If at any time in the coming months, you determine that you will not be able to accept the Fulbright award, please be sure to notify IIE immediately.

Again, congratulations on your accomplishments and we look forward to working with you.

Sincerely,

Daniel Kramer
Director, U.S. Student Programs
Institute of International Education
809 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY  10017

Here's my alternate e-mail from last year:

We are keenly aware of the pressure on candidates to make their plans for the coming year.  Therefore, we want you to know the status of your candidacy for a Fulbright award for 2013-2014 to Malta. You have been designated as an alternate for the Fulbright U.S. Student Program. Thus you would receive an award only in the event someone withdraws or additional funding becomes available. It is our hope that you would be available to accept a grant should it be offered at a later date. In the meantime, it is important that you advise us immediately if there is any factor that could preclude your accepting the award.

The majority of principal candidates are given one month to make their decisions regarding acceptance or declination of an award. You can assume that the principal candidates for your country are being notified simultaneously with this notice to you. Therefore, you can estimate the time frame in which most students will accept or decline their award offers. Please note, however, that there are grantees each year who accept the Fulbright award initially but, due to unforeseen circumstances, need to decline the award later on. In addition, every year additional funding becomes available in the late spring. Your chance of hearing from us will be greatest in May and June, then steadily decline as the months go on. For that reason, you will remain on the alternate list through the summer and into the academic year unless you withdraw, in writing, from the competition. 

No additional information should be sent to us in support of your application, as it will have no effect on your status. Also, please be advised that in the event that we can offer you a Fulbright award, we will try to contact you by telephone or email first. If you need to update any of your contact information, please let us know in writing. You will receive no further correspondence on your status unless you are offered an award.

We appreciate your interest in the Fulbright Program.

Sincerely,

Daniel Kramer
Director, U.S. Student Programs

Copy to Fulbright Program Adviser (if enrolled)

Well you can tell that the next wave of Anxiety Fest 2014 is getting started when we have 10 people on the forum instead of 1 or 2.

Here is a meme for those of us who are starting to get tired of people asking about any news from Fulbright.

46775822.jpg

Last year, when one of my friends was waiting to hear back, I would ask her every time I saw year.  Now, in retrospec, she probably wanted to severely injury me.

I'm in the boat where it is like, if I get it you WILL hear me shouting in joy. Otherwise assume I don't know yet or I am not getting it. . .

been lurking for days..but just got accepted for a fulbright to Indonesia!

CONGRATS!