Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Thank you for posting! I thought I was the only one. Solidarity.

Been lurking for a while now and nearly had a heart attack when I saw that Indonesia notifications have started going out...is it typical for notifications for a single country to be spread out over a few days? I'm still anxiously waiting for an email from IIE to appear in my inbox....

Not normal, but it happened to Norway last year. I was part of a group that had to wait an extra week to hear results due to the sequester.

That wouldn't be indicative in terms of acceptance/rejection, though, right?  Seeing as in the Google Doc there's already 2 acceptances and 1 rejection, last I checked. 

Secret_Ninja, I'm relieved I'm not the only one! Although it makes it nerve-racking for both of us :/ 

They sent out final notifications for Finland! I received the scholarship to go there!!! :D

Congratulations fiajoc!!! :D glad to hear more news of acceptance! 

Btw, it seems that Ireland (2/25/14) was first to send out final selection notifications this year according to the google doc. 2.5 countries down, so many more to go~~~!

Edited by ginagoestokorea

Btw, it seems that Ireland (2/25/14) was first to send out final selection notifications this year according to the google doc. 2.5 countries down, so many more to go~~~!

Thank you ginagoestokorea!! Sooner than expected for sure!! Ya and followed by Indonesia. 

Sigh. If I get this Fulbright it will change the entire course of my life from miserably shitty right now to actually good. 

I do have a PhD acceptance, though, so I guess I could do that, but I'm not 100% sold on it...

Hey, lalakey, where did you get accepted, and into what program? Why aren't you 100% sold on it? I hope you get the Fulbright!

Last cycle, there was one woman in her 40s who ended up an alternate for Estonia, and, according to her, she was told that her age was a contributing factor to her non-selection. I can't speak to whether or not this is indicative of how all countries operate, but I do suspect there would be a preference toward younger candidates for the reason you mention (more potential for greater achievements over the long run)... Sorry to not have something more positive to say here, but it's my honest opinion. That said, I really really hope I'm dead wrong and that Zambia is able to look to the quality of your research proposal as most important. Good luck!

Hey Torrid, thanks for the honest answer. I'm surprised they actually told someone that was a factor. I also have a disability and my FPA told me not to mention it in my application because she had heard they discriminate against applicants with disabilities. However, I have been to Zambia twice and know where I'll be going if I get the Fulbright and it is absolutely no problem with my disability. Actually, living out in a village is probably easier with a disability (I use a walker) than the city where I have to deal with stairs, doorways, bathrooms, etc. in a country where there is no equivilant to the ADA. :)

I am assuming that research grants and ETAs hear back on the same day no matter what the country right?

Hi olioliwoo, I do not believe that research grants and ETAs necessarily hear back on the same day. Does anyone else have more clarification on this?

I think the person who heard back on 2/25 is a faculty member already here in the states, so I don't think it was the student grant (unfortunately for the fellow USF student who is still waiting with us.)

I can't believe notifications are starting to go out! Good Luck everyone! I'm waiting for word on a full research grant to Sweden.

It's a complicated story, but I filled out my Fulbright application very late in the game, so I still have a lot of questions...if you are not affiliated with a university (I would be working with a museum if given the grant), does anyone know anything about how living arrangements work? Do they just allot money and you find something on your own?

Hopefully we will all hear something soon!!

I can't believe notifications are starting to go out! Good Luck everyone! I'm waiting for word on a full research grant to Sweden.

It's a complicated story, but I filled out my Fulbright application very late in the game, so I still have a lot of questions...if you are not affiliated with a university (I would be working with a museum if given the grant), does anyone know anything about how living arrangements work? Do they just allot money and you find something on your own?

Hopefully we will all hear something soon!!

With most places you have to get your own accommodation. My uni has an apartment network, but it is still all me. For the DAAD applicants, I'm looking at doing a summer grant some time next summer (or even the summer after). I majored in English and German but my grad program is an English PhD. I'm worried I won't pass the language exam though because I'll be so out of practice by then. Any helpful tips with either the application or not becoming rusty? 

Current Fulbright-Nehru scholar here...for those applying to India, a little birdy (executive director of USIEF) told me last night at dinner that this year they're cutting back the number of research grants to 42. 

I feel like they shouldn't cut back the grants after people applied, but I guess they probably have little control over it.

With most places you have to get your own accommodation. My uni has an apartment network, but it is still all me. For the DAAD applicants, I'm looking at doing a summer grant some time next summer (or even the summer after). I majored in English and German but my grad program is an English PhD. I'm worried I won't pass the language exam though because I'll be so out of practice by then. Any helpful tips with either the application or not becoming rusty? 

I have nothing to offer in terms of advice but I worry the same thing about my German (if I were to win.) My language isn't too bad... the weird thing is I understand almost everything, but my skills are still lacking. I had a few ideas, like using duolingo's advanced version of German, or going to German chatrooms, or just watching some German tv shows or movies... 

Hey, lalakey, where did you get accepted, and into what program? Why aren't you 100% sold on it? I hope you get the Fulbright!

I was accepted into CUNY Graduate School. It is great especially because they share faculty with some of the major NYC conservatories (I'm an opera singer/hopefully a researcher as well) but the problem is, NYC is just so damn expensive and living without some kind of major fellowship is going to be sooo hard... that's literally the only reason I'm not sold on it... 

Yeah. I did a semester abroad and got to the B1/B2 level but my home uni had nothing higher so I haven't been able to take classes. I also had some issues with my German Uni, but I'd still love to go back!

Any news from Peru or Brazil? It looks like historically they should be maybe the next ones notified.

It looks like France maybe be notified anytime between mid to late March...hopefully I only have 10 more days to go?

I was recommended for an ETA in Brazil and haven't heard anything yet! I know that last year they were notified on March 4. I am also a finalist for the Princeton in Latin America fellowship, and they told me on Monday that things are running very slowly in Brazil right now due to Carnaval... :( So at best, I'm hoping Brazil people will hear back by the end of March. Ahhhhhh so many nerves, I want the wait to be over! Good luck to everyone! :)

I was recommended for an ETA in Brazil and haven't heard anything yet! I know that last year they were notified on March 4. I am also a finalist for the Princeton in Latin America fellowship, and they told me on Monday that things are running very slowly in Brazil right now due to Carnaval... :( So at best, I'm hoping Brazil people will hear back by the end of March. Ahhhhhh so many nerves, I want the wait to be over! Good luck to everyone! :)

FingersCrossed, we're still trying to put the pieces back together here in New Orleans; I can't imagine what it's like in Brazil! At least, Mardi was a solid two-week distraction!

Hello! I am new to this forum, but I am excited to meet other people anxiously awaiting the Fulbright notification.

I am applying for an ETA in Thailand. Anyone else doing the same?

I also applied for the Fulbright Thailand ETA. I am a recommended candidate and I've been going crazy checking my emails EVERYDAY to hear something back!

Goodness! Congratulations to those who are already receiving grants!
I am on the edge of my seat with everyone else waiting...if I didn't have a 19 credit semester, Fulbright would be the only thing I'd be thinking about. I think about it all of the time but there is room to think about my other classes and trying to breath...if that makes sense, haha!

Anyway, the wait continues...based on the excel document, I should be hearing about around the first week of April. The other day, I was like..."Omg...exactly a month away...". O_o

I need some strength. lol I figure in the meantime I will focus all of my energies in managing my extremely busy last semester. And into the heavy expenses to prepare for graduation. Whew. Can't wait to graduate, that's for sure.

If we were to get the grant, (again, I have a ton of unanswered questions, my application was done rather quickly, long story) does anyone have an idea of major expenses I should expect? I've been saving and saving in preparation for possibly receiving the Fulbright, but I want to make sure I will have enough money to do some traveling and have some freedom financially if I am there.