Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Lol, it's quite glamorous! Though not as well-known as a Fulbright. I haven't interned at a government agency yet, but I'm thinking of either working with USAID in SEA, or working my way towards becoming a Foreign Service Officer.

What that's awesome!!! Yeah because I thought that you're supposed to join a government agency and work for them right after you graduate for about two years right?

Edited by japaniia

Fellow anthropologist (UNCAnthro)! What is your research proposal on?

Hi Anahid, I'm doing an ethnographic study of the soy boom in South America and transnational agriculture by studying North American farmers who are producing soy in Brazil. My main interest is whether there migration is spurred by an interest in capital accumulation or if it is a means of sustaining livelihoods, identities, and values in the face of a general farming crisis in the United States. Also, looking at what kind of associations, practices, and meanings emerge from their interaction with Brazilian workers, farmers, infrastructures, and ecologies. How about you, mate? Where are you applying to study?

Hi everyone! This is my first post, but I've been watching the forum since January when I heard I was recommended for a research scholarship in Canada. I am posting now because I wanted to know if anyone else knew anything more about the travel restrictions limiting travel outside the country to 14 days? I had no idea this was a condition when I applied and just noticed someone mentioning it here a few days ago so I did a little more research.

My question is, does anyone know if travel to attend professional conferences or research related to your project will count towards this 14 day limit? I am already committed to present papers, which are related to my Fulbright research, at three conferences in the US next year (2 in the Fall 1 in the Spring) and these will eat up most if not all of my 14 days. Additionally, since my research deals with territory in both Canada and the US I was hoping I'd be able to drive down to the nearest state (sorry for the vaugness, trying to be a little confidential here!) a few times during my stay to collect additional data. If I'm really smart about it, I may be able to do all this within the 14 day limit, but I would also like to, you know, go see my family and friends around Christmas so it would be nice to save these days for that. 

I know I haven't heard back If I've been accepted, but I wanted to start to figure this out as soon as possible since I will have to take these restrictions into serious consideration. Thanks for any input you may have, I really appreciate how helpful this forum has been! 

Edited by tealcoffeebean

Hi everyone! This is my first post, but I've been watching the forum since January when I heard I was recommended for a research scholarship in Canada. I am posting now because I wanted to know if anyone else knew anything more about the travel restrictions limiting travel outside the country to 14 days? I had no idea this was a condition when I applied and just noticed someone mentioning it here a few days ago so I did a little more research.

My question is, does anyone know if travel to attend professional conferences or research related to your project will count towards this 14 day limit? I am already committed to present papers, which are related to my Fulbright research, at three conferences in the US next year (2 in the Fall 1 in the Spring) and these will eat up most if not all of my 14 days. Additionally, since my research deals with territory in both Canada and the US I was hoping I'd be able to drive down to the nearest state (sorry for the vaugness, trying to be a little confidential here!) a few times during my stay to collect additional data. If I'm really smart about it, I may be able to do all this within the 14 day limit, but I would also like to, you know, go see my family and friends around Christmas so it would be nice to save these days for that. 

I know I haven't heard back If I've been accepted, but I wanted to start to figure this out as soon as possible since I will have to take these restrictions into serious consideration. Thanks for any input you may have, I really appreciate how helpful this forum has been! 

I've been very curious about this exact same thing!

Hi! I don't know for sure but I would imagine if it's related to your Fulbright, you would be able to travel freely and not count it towards your "time off". However, I'm sure you can ask someone once you find out if you have gotten it!

I applied to the full research grant, which would mean we should expect it this week. I guess Friday is my next day to obsess over it.

How do you know we could expect it this week? 

Hi fellow anxiety-ridden Fulbright-waitees!!

Longtime lurker, first-time poster feeling super insecure (WAT, everyone here is totally new to this feel).

ETA Applicant to Serbia. The updated stats of 10/1 just drove me to angsty navel gazery.

e-huggles to everyone. Drink chai and know you're all splendid.

How do you know we could expect it this week? 

Feverish speculation by an obsessive neurotic. In other words, I don't really know (in the philosophical sense of knowledge as "justified true belief"), but I've convinced myself that we should hear because of past notification dates and the fact that DAAD has been sending out notices (as far as I've heard, only rejections thus far).

Edited by Discordant_Aesthete

For those interested in going to Taiwan and for the rest of the alternates, a story that might bring some hope: http://bekahgraham.wordpress.com/2012/09/30/my-fulbright-experience-uncut/

This article makes me want an ETA grant even more than before! (I'm hoping for an ETA to India). Best of luck to everyone, fingers crossed that we all hear some (good) news soon..

Feverish speculation by an obsessive neurotic. In other words, I don't really know (in the philosophical sense of knowledge as "justified true belief"), but I've convinced myself that we should hear because of past notification dates and the fact that DAAD has been sending out notices (as far as I've heard, only rejections thus far).

Hahah. Well exactly why I posted Cara's email reply to me- unfortunately they're delayed this year, so we can't really count on past notification dates 

Hahah. Well exactly why I posted Cara's email reply to me- unfortunately they're delayed this year, so we can't really count on past notification dates 

Thank you for posting that email. What were the possible reasons for the delay? 

For those interested in going to Taiwan and for the rest of the alternates, a story that might bring some hope: http://bekahgraham.wordpress.com/2012/09/30/my-fulbright-experience-uncut/

This was a really cool article, but it just made me more anxious....

When Korea? When?

I hate the waiting. The not know is really distracting me, which is terrible--my BA thesis is due in less than a week.

Jordan also released their notifications. Ya know, I'm starting to get to the point where I don't want to know. Lol one email could change it all... that's a powerful, scary email hahaha. Korea applicants, it's probably going to take a bit longer for us not just because of the delay for the first round of notifications but also because we have 10 new graduate degree grants - like a third category. Soooooo let the waiting continue~~~~~

Question for everyone: for my country's stats for last year, the stats show that last year, 19 out of 46 applicants were given grants. I know for a fact that Korea awarded 25 grants for that year. so does this mean that some people didn't accept the offer or that some people dropped out of their program early? I'd really appreciate some input on this. Just wondering...

Edited by ginagoestokorea

So I broke down and emailed Fulbright in Mexico about notifications, since during my interview they had told me one month and that was on Feb 21--not to mention that March 26 was the notification date last year. Anyway, this was the response I received:

Thank you for your email.

Sorry we have not contacted you yet but we are awaiting for the confirmation form the Fulbright Scholarship Board (FSB) and this is taking longer than we expected. According to recent information the results will be given by April 11th, the latest.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience.