UNC (funding, etc.)

Biblio55

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything from UNC since accepting/being accepted.  I'm particularly interested in funding, esp. the CALA awards.  It says on their website that they usually decide around March, so I'm assuming I didn't get a CALA.  That still leaves other assistantships though...

I'm getting a bit annoyed since I haven't heard anything at all from SILS itself since being admitted. They also don't seem super inclined to answer their phones (grrr).  All I've gotten was my offer of loans which comes from the OSSA, not SILS. Even a letter saying that I'm not getting funding would be nice at this point. Does anyone know anything?

I also noticed that people at UNC's library science program did not pick up the phone. Also, they did not return phone calls when I left messages. However, I had some luck e-mailing them. They do not respond for quite some time (sometimes a week or so). Yet this way you might get an answer. It seems like UNC did not bother to communicate with its applicants beyond the automated correspondence via the graduate school. I was able to find out about funding but it would be best to find out about your individual situations. Contact the secretary and/or one of the directors. CALA looks like a great opportunity. I hope everything works out for you. Best wishes!

So from what I understand for assistantships they let departments within the school review the overall applications and choose or interview for postions from there. I was contacted last week about interviewing for a position so I assume that it is an ongoing decentralized process. I am also IS as opposed to LS -- so this might not be helpful at all.

I am pretty frustrated with the lack of transparency/communication after admission but happy that somethings are seemingly moving along. I also know UNC is in the midst of finals at the moment so maybe more communications will come in early summer?

I also know that last year they held a job fair for SILS grad students right before the semester started for on-campus employment some of which covers tuition (I think).

PS I already live in the Chapel Hill area if people have questions about apartments etc.

Edited by mepclu

I was interviewed for a CALA position back at the end of March, but I didn't end up getting it. They told me during the interview that they were interviewing 15 people for a total of 4 CALA positions. Ultimately, I declined the admission offer because the out-of-state tuition is just too much. I agree about UNC not maintaining very good communication after the initial acceptance email. I had the same problem with people not answering phone calls or returning calls when I left voicemails.

So, I emailed UNC on Friday, and I heard back today.  They have already given out all the aid that they intend to.  I guess they just didn't think it was important to inform all of us of that...  On the up side- they seem to answer emails pretty quickly.  I guess that's the way to get in touch with them from now on.  Hope this info helps some of you!

I'm a year into my studies at SILS and they are notoriously terrible about communicating with incoming students.  The lack of communication between admission and orientation has been a top complaint among everyone I know.  I think it is hard because SILS does not have a dedicated admissions person the way the bigger and wealthier departments like business and law do.  Lara (I assume that is who has been sending emails to you all) wears a lot of different hats in the SILS office.  

Sorry to hear that it hasn't gotten any better since this time last year.  The good news is that once you are here, the staff in the office are great to work with. 

• 3 weeks later...

Freeze, Thank you. What do you think about the program? What are the strengths of the programs? How do students acquire adequate funding opportunities? Thank you again.

I like the program overall but I think there needs to be better organization at the administrative level.  I think the strengths of the program are academic and special libraries.  That is what most people in the program want to do and I am concentrating in academic libraries and instruction.  I have heard from several school media students that the instructors in that area are stellar as well.  The archives professors do not get good marks from students; the impression seems to be that they are more interested in their research than in students.

Funding: it's about applying for the right thing at the right time.  Assistantships and RA positions are very competitive and most people who get them have had professional experience beforehand.  Except for archives positions in Wilson Library I don't know many people without library or teaching experience who managed to get them.  I looked into outside funding through scholarships and grants.   I definitely wouldn't expect to leave the program without taking on debt.