Lease with asbestos disclosure??

I found a studio apartment that's available for fall, and the people have already sent me a lease packet and everything. I was all ready to sign the lease until I found the enclosed asbestos disclosure form. Now, it doesn't say that the place actually contains asbestos, just that it "may" contain it. The place is pretty old, built in probably the late 60's or early 70's. Some apartments have been renovated recently but not mine, although it probably has been renovated at least a few times since it was built (I can't imagine otherwise). I haven't visited the place yet. I like the place, the amenities, distance, and community. Should I sign the lease or not?

Here's the consumer products safety commission page for asbestos in the home: http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Safety-Education/Safety-Guides/Home/Asbestos-In-The-Home/

In short, as long as the asbestos containing materials are in good shape, you should not have a problem. Asbestos mainly becomes a problem during renovations, then abatement measures are necessary. If the place looked to be in good repair and you aren't planning to knock down walls, you should be fine.

Right, but how do I know if it has been disturbed or if it has become airborne?

It generally has to be actively disturbed. Don't go tearing down walls or messing with the pipes inside of them. If they want to do any renovations while you live there make sure you get something in writing about the possibility of being provided a place to live during abatement and removal.

Asbestos is present in tons of old buildings and I think by law, the owners have to disclose to all leasers/renters that there is asbestos in the walls etc. so that we don't go around disturbing it. If you are super paranoid, then you should only live in the newer (and expensive!) buildings. But in reality, you will probably be in tons of buildings with asbestos in them (at work or at school) anyways. 

My current building in California also gave us a "lead paint" warning disclosure because at one point, the walls were painted with lead paint, but they have repainted the place several times over. But since there was lead paint at one point, they have to disclose it to all future tenants now.

I feel like California (and/or the whole US?) has a lot of laws like this (e.g. Prop 65) where even the smallest potential risk needs full disclosure. I guess people sue each other a lot or something. The problem with all these disclosures is that like the OP said, it's hard to tell when something is a real risk and when something is just a "don't sue us" disclaimer (e.g. "Caution Coffee is Hot!"). You see Prop 65 disclaimers in pretty much every single business!!

Yeah in California, several buildings have a warning that the place "contains chemicals known to cause cancer."  Strictly speaking that's like...pretty much everywhere.  I think Disneyland has that warning.  

• 8 months later...

Its really necassary to check the asbestos in such buildings where we are living are hope to shift in future because its really dangerous for human health some asbestos dust are cause lung cancer. The asbestos management are very necessary for every building owner.

My current building in California also gave us a "lead paint" warning disclosure because at one point, the walls were painted with lead paint, but they have repainted the place several times over. But since there was lead paint at one point, they have to disclose it to all future tenants now.

I had to sign this form as well.

• 1 month later...

The Lead Paint and Asbestos Management Course is essential for all professional painters. Any building painted before 1971 may need lead paint management. Carrying out painting on a building without testing and treating lead paint can cause:
Brain Damage to children exposed to lead dust
Brain damage to unborn fetuses whose mothers breathe in lead dust
Major health problems for employees, including lead poisoning
Prosecution of painting contractors who fail to follow legislation. Ignorance is no excuse!
Click to watch a video of what can happen:

What happens if renovations are being done elsewhere in the building, like a neighbour's apartment, the lobby or laundry room?

Generally the entire building is required to disclose if even one unit has asbestos. There are procedures for dealing with asbestos like completely sealing off the renovation area and filtering all the air the enters and leaves so you'd be safe if a reputable company is doing the renovations. So even if renovations are being done you're still safe living where you are. Only issue is that asbestos work costs a lot more than normal work due to the regulations about generating dust and particulates so most people don't have it removed based on cost and not safety concerns. Just don't go banging on pipes or licking the paint.