MPH 2014 CANADA APPLICANTS

Anyone thinking about going to U of T HP part time? If so, how would it work?

I'm definitely leaning towards the U of T program but don't want to give up my work...

CONGRATS !!!

Got into Guelph as well, heard from Andrew as well :D:D:D

Now I am confused .. choosing between Queens and Guelph 

Any suggestions anyone? I am super confuzzled lol 

I did my undergrad at Guelph, and it is a wonderful university in a great little city.  The campus at Guelph is very green, the arboretum is right next door to the campus for walking, running, cycling, etc.  There are bike paths and running trails throughout the city.  Toronto is only an hour away if you want something in the "big city."

Guelph is also incredibly friendly and the everyone is very supportive.  There are tons of programs and support systems in place to help students succeed.  The MPH program has areas of focus in food and water safety, community and international development, environmental health, zoonotic and infectious diseases, and environmental health, with some offerings in community nutrition, biostatistics, and public health policy as well.  If any of those areas are of interest, then Guelph is a great choice.  The practicum placements at Guelph are also really valuable.

The only reason I'm not staying at Guelph for my Masters is the fact that UofT's program matches my interests perfectly - it has a focus on community nutrition and includes the dietetic internship required to become a registered dietitian.  At Guelph I would have either had to not do a dietetic internship until after my Masters, or I would have had to complete placements in areas of dietetics that don't interest me, whereas at UofT the focus on on public health and community nutrition (with no foodservice internship placements - thank goodness!)

If you have any questions about Guelph, feel free to ask.  I've greatly enjoyed my time at Guelph.  If I ever decide to do a PhD, I'll likely try to get back to Guelph.  It's such a great university and city, with a great community.

I did my undergrad at Guelph, and it is a wonderful university in a great little city.  The campus at Guelph is very green, the arboretum is right next door to the campus for walking, running, cycling, etc.  There are bike paths and running trails throughout the city.  Toronto is only an hour away if you want something in the "big city."

Guelph is also incredibly friendly and the everyone is very supportive.  There are tons of programs and support systems in place to help students succeed.  The MPH program has areas of focus in food and water safety, community and international development, environmental health, zoonotic and infectious diseases, and environmental health, with some offerings in community nutrition, biostatistics, and public health policy as well.  If any of those areas are of interest, then Guelph is a great choice.  The practicum placements at Guelph are also really valuable.

The only reason I'm not staying at Guelph for my Masters is the fact that UofT's program matches my interests perfectly - it has a focus on community nutrition and includes the dietetic internship required to become a registered dietitian.  At Guelph I would have either had to not do a dietetic internship until after my Masters, or I would have had to complete placements in areas of dietetics that don't interest me, whereas at UofT the focus on on public health and community nutrition (with no foodservice internship placements - thank goodness!)

If you have any questions about Guelph, feel free to ask.  I've greatly enjoyed my time at Guelph.  If I ever decide to do a PhD, I'll likely try to get back to Guelph.  It's such a great university and city, with a great community.

Thank you so much for such an insightful response.

Definitely helped. I have also heard great things about the Guelph program and not to mention it is indeed so close to my hometown in Toronto. 

I am interested in Public Health in general and if specifically stating Epidemiology. However, I have been advised by people not to keep my focus to narrow as finding jobs becomes harder afterwards. So now my final decision rests upon the employment statistics. Would you have any idea about the employment rates of MPH graduates from Guelph? 

Feel free to personal message me on this forum. Thank you again for your thorough response :)

and best of luck to you for U of T. They have an amazing program in community nutrition and I have heard only good things about that program.

I am also waiting on MPH- Epi from U of T... but that is all the way in May and I have sort of given up hope lol...

Congrats to those who have received acceptances!

I am still waiting on uoft-epi:( Anyone heard anything yet?

According to the dlsph website today is the date that they should have made decisions by!

http://www.dlsph.utoronto.ca/page/timeline-application-process

Hey ! I had e-mailed them last week inquiring about that and I was informed that acceptances for MPH Epi go out first and second week of May :( 

I got into U of T OEH! I plan to now decline the UofA offer for OEH and accept the U of T. Congrats to all !!! See you at the Meet and Greet !

Congrats! I'm also accepting the offer for U of T (professional program). Won't be at the meet and greet unfortunately, but I'll probably meet you and the rest in class in the fall. Cheers!

Hey ! I had e-mailed them last week inquiring about that and I was informed that acceptances for MPH Epi go out first and second week of May :(

Thanks!

Oh man, the wait seems like a life time!

Thanks!

Oh man, the wait seems like a life time!

Hey I just got my offer of acceptance from U of T- MPH EPI !!! 

( even though they had said early May)

This was my top choice and I will be accepting this offer :D

AHHH me too! 

I will be accepting the offer as well!

Congrats future class mate!

Hey All!

I applied to the MPH program at Queen's and Guelph and the MPH program for Health Promotion at UofT. I was very fortunate to receive an offer from all 3 schools but I decided to accept the one from UofT mainly because of how strongly this program appeals to my interests and career prospects. Those who are still waiting for Queen's and Guelph-have hope! I rejected my offers from these schools today. 

Good luck to all receiving acceptances and making tough decisions. Its not easy!!

Edited by verity

Hey All!

I applied to the MPH program at Queen's and Guelph and the MPH program for Health Promotion at UofT. I was very fortunate to receive an offer from all 3 schools but I decided to accept the one from UofT mainly because of how strongly this program appeals to my interests and career prospects. Those who are still waiting for Queen's and Guelph-have hope! I rejected my offers from these schools today. 

Good luck to all receiving acceptances and making tough decisions. Its not easy!!

Congrats on all the offers! Just wondering, what were the deadlines for each uni to respond to their offer?

Hi everyone,

I've been following this forum for a few weeks now and I just wanted to thank you all for your posts. They've been helping me keep somewhat sane since I found out I've been waitlisted for SFU's MPH (population health) a few weeks ago. When I first discovered I had been waitlisted I was excited (it's better than a rejection, right?), however, in the weeks since the uncertainty about this upcoming fall has started to consume me a bit.

I'll be sure to keep the forum updated if I hear anything further from SFU! In the meantime, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of those who are also waitlisted!

Oh, and like a few posts on this page of the forum already - if you don't intend on attending SFU but have accepted your offer, please decline!  :)

AHHH me too! 

OMG !YAY congrats to you as well.

I am ECSTATIC to say the least =) see you in class !

I sent an e-mail to the MPH Assistant at Guelph asking if it was possible to know if I am waitlisted for the program, and the response was:

"If you are going to be offered admission, you will receive email notification by the end of the day today."

Not sure if this makes things more or less stressful for people, but if you're waiting on Guelph, there's still hope I guess!

Hi everyone,

I've been following this forum for a few weeks now and I just wanted to thank you all for your posts. They've been helping me keep somewhat sane since I found out I've been waitlisted for SFU's MPH (population health) a few weeks ago. When I first discovered I had been waitlisted I was excited (it's better than a rejection, right?), however, in the weeks since the uncertainty about this upcoming fall has started to consume me a bit.

I'll be sure to keep the forum updated if I hear anything further from SFU! In the meantime, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of those who are also waitlisted!

Oh, and like a few posts on this page of the forum already - if you don't intend on attending SFU but have accepted your offer, please decline!  :)

I declined my offer to SFU the other day - I hope you receive some good news!

Hey MPH Epi and ahnoom, congratulations! :) I received the email yesterday as well.

I started a FB group for our Epi classmates - please feel free to join! :)https://www.facebook.com/groups/496520350447856/

AHHH me too! 

OMG !YAY congrats to you as well.

I am ECSTATIC to say the least =) see you in class !

OMG! Congratulations, guys! :) Awesome news!

I'm waiting on UofT Epi as well.

Would you mind sharing your stats?

Thank you so much for such an insightful response.

Definitely helped. I have also heard great things about the Guelph program and not to mention it is indeed so close to my hometown in Toronto. 

I am interested in Public Health in general and if specifically stating Epidemiology. However, I have been advised by people not to keep my focus to narrow as finding jobs becomes harder afterwards. So now my final decision rests upon the employment statistics. Would you have any idea about the employment rates of MPH graduates from Guelph? 

Feel free to personal message me on this forum. Thank you again for your thorough response :)

and best of luck to you for U of T. They have an amazing program in community nutrition and I have heard only good things about that program.

I am also waiting on MPH- Epi from U of T... but that is all the way in May and I have sort of given up hope lol...

Congrats!

I just finished my 1st year of the MPH program at Guelph, so if you have any questions I would be happy to help (courses, practicums available, general info). My email is mcumming@uoguelph.ca, as I don't check this that often.

I'm still waiting... getting slightly frustrated. I have called and emailed a few times (probably driving admissions crazy). My status still says: App forwarded: Interim Review. Every time I have called they have been unable to give me any kind of guideline about when I will hear either way. I'm assuming I didn't get in... :(

Hi Merang

when you email them did them reply you ? what email did you use?

Hi all - I didn't have time to check updates from everyone since I was here last, but for anyone still waiting on uAlberta for MPH Global Health, I just got an email saying they've filled their 'quota' (so it was a rejection email lol); also was recommended for admin by UofT OEH on Monday but I've declined them now

CONGRATULATIONS to all those who received offers this week!

And Good Luck to those still waiting - there's still time for many programs :)

PS: for those moving to/from Toronto in Fall 2014 - I'm looking to move there so msg me if you have any advice :D Thanks