MPH 2014 CANADA APPLICANTS

For those waiting on Queens:

I just called them and they said that if you haven't received an email regarding an acceptance/rejection then you're probably on the wait list. There's about 21 people on the wait list and the program directors are off until next week, so decisions will be made then. :)

Hi all,

I'm a first year MPH Epi at UofT. Us first years just finished the first year of the program. If you have any big questions, I'm happy to answer.

Congrats on your acceptances!

I am following up to my above offer. I have had several overlapping inquiries, so ive pooled the questions here. Please ask any further Qs on the main forum, as its easer than private PMs.

How do you find the class sizes? Do you find the class sizes conducive to your learning? Can you engage with professors outside of class?

The class sizes are fairly large. Our classes this year were relatively large (30-60 people) and mostly lecture style, One core class (public health policy) had about 100 people. Dalla Lana has become its own faculty, and rumour has it that class sizes are growing. Our class size this year was i believe 32. It depends on your learning style. Some people in the class can be very quiet and don't like to participate, others do. Lecture style may be more conducive to person X's learning, whereas a more seminar style class may be more beneficial to person Y. I've heard  the smaller class sizes come with electives in second year.

Engaging with profs outside of class is difficult. Most profs teach and also have full time positions with heavy responsibility elsewhere, so unlike some faculty, teaching/research is not the norm for a lot of DLSPH faculty. They are Physicians, Senior Scientists, etc. I would take advantage of the tutor (a Professor and a second yr student) you get assigned to. I found these resources enormously helpful. Also - You really have to make the effort to get to know professors yourself.

How do you find the course load? Are you able to do research, or hold part-time jobs/volunteering positions throughout the year?

The course load is demanding. Many people said first term wasn't that bad. It depends on your strengths. Second semester was very intense. Most people found it overwhelming. The majority of first years also took an elective second semester, so it was a lot of work to say the least (about 5.5 courses with the pass/fail intro course). I suggest you don't work part time, unless you are really great at multi tasking. I knew people who were working part-time but they eventually had to quit their jobs cause they couldn't hack both.

Is it difficult to get the practicum placement that you want?

This year, the practicum coordinator really did a wonderful job for us. From what I hear, almost every Epi student got a practicum that pays, and is somewhat ideal. I got a very ideal position at the organization I wanted, and I'm getting paid well. Also, I have heard that the HP students have had mixed luck, and many are working unpaid.

How much statistics is involved in the field?

When it comes down to it, stats are the core of epi methods. One more or less needs a foundation in stats, to properly understand epi study design, methods and the results of epi studies. I would make a conservative estimate and say stats makes up 60% of epi (at UofT) in some form or another. The first term focuses on mapping out the stats foundations and basic concepts, and a lot of it is applied in protocols, reviews, etc. in second semester. Its important to be comfortable with statistical packages, as this will be a core function (which you learn) in second semester. Some find first semester easier to handle than second. I actually enjoyed second more. Again, it depends on your strengths.

I hope this is helpful.

Edited by deletta

Hi all,

I'm a first year MPH Epi at UofT. Us first years just finished the first year of the program. If you have any big questions, I'm happy to answer.

I am following up to my above offer. I have had several overlapping inquiries, so ive pooled the questions here. Please ask any further Qs on the main forum, as its easer than private PMs.

How do you find the class sizes? Do you find the class sizes conducive to your learning? Can you engage with professors outside of class?

The class sizes are fairly large. Our classes this year were relatively large (30-60 people) and mostly lecture style, One core class (public health policy) had about 100 people. Dalla Lana has become its own faculty, and rumour has it that class sizes are growing. Our class size this year was i believe 32. It depends on your learning style. Some people in the class can be very quiet and don't like to participate, others do. Lecture style may be more conducive to person X's learning, whereas a more seminar style class may be more beneficial to person Y. I've heard  the smaller class sizes come with electives in second year.

Engaging with profs outside of class is difficult. Most profs teach and also have full time positions with heavy responsibility elsewhere, so unlike some faculty, teaching/research is not the norm for a lot of DLSPH faculty. They are Physicians, Senior Scientists, etc. I would take advantage of the tutor (a Professor and a second yr student) you get assigned to. I found these resources enormously helpful. Also - You really have to make the effort to get to know professors yourself.

How do you find the course load? Are you able to do research, or hold part-time jobs/volunteering positions throughout the year?

The course load is demanding. Many people said first term wasn't that bad. It depends on your strengths. Second semester was very intense. Most people found it overwhelming. The majority of first years also took an elective second semester, so it was a lot of work to say the least (about 5.5 courses with the pass/fail intro course). I suggest you don't work part time, unless you are really great at multi tasking. I knew people who were working part-time but they eventually had to quit their jobs cause they couldn't hack both.

This year, the practicum coordinator really did a wonderful job for us. From what I hear, almost every Epi student got a practicum that pays, and is somewhat ideal. I got a very ideal position at the organization I wanted, and I'm getting paid well. Also, I have heard that the HP students have had mixed luck, and many are working unpaid.

When it comes down to it, stats are the core of epi methods. One more or less needs a foundation in stats, to properly understand epi study design, methods and the results of epi studies. I would make a conservative estimate and say stats makes up 60% of epi (at UofT) in some form or another. The first term focuses on mapping out the stats foundations and basic concepts, and a lot of it is applied in protocols, reviews, etc. in second semester. Its important to be comfortable with statistical packages, as this will be a core function (which you learn) in second semester. Some find first semester easier to handle than second. I actually enjoyed second more. Again, it depends on your strengths.

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you for such a thorough feedback. 

Really appreciate it.

See you on campus :)

If you don't mind me asking, what are you stats?

Np at all Deletta! cGPA 3.53/4, last year GPA= 3.93/4

I have a *very* unusual undergrad degree. I believe that was a major disadvantage. It seems that other applicants had epi/public health experience as well as higher overall grades. Though I think I have the research/stats experience that UofT was looking for... I guess I wasn't suitable for their public health program. Meh. C'est la vie!

Edited by bed0uin

Np at all Deletta! cGPA 3.53/4, last year GPA= 3.93/4

I have a *very* unusual undergrad degree. I believe that was a major disadvantage. It seems that other applicants had epi/public health experience as well as higher overall grades. Though I think I have the research/stats experience that UofT was looking for... I guess I wasn't suitable for their public health program. Meh. C'est la vie!

Hmm your stats seem pretty decent. What was this "unusual" undergrad? I like to think that ad coms like some variety, but I can also say the vast majority of epi students come from strong life science / med/ health science and research backgrounds.

Hi all,

Hi Deletta, thanks for helping with our questions!

1) The tutors sound great - I am thankful for some guidance when I begin the program. Do you also have a mentor who's an alumni of the program? I think I saw this being advertised on the DLSPH website.

2) Do you have advice on how to fund the degree outside of getting paid for practicum, OSAP etc.? In your year did many people receive the OGS?

Thank you in advance :)

I emailed Charlotte Lombardo a couple of days ago regarding my application for UofT MPH HP (Global Health), and she told me my application is still in progress. Not sure if this means I'm waitlisted (as some people have already been accepted) or if it's a rejection :S 

Has anyone who has been admitted to the MPH HP @ UofT tell me what date you have to reply? And if anyone has heard from the Global Health Emphasis stream?? 

I am also waitlisted at SFU for Global Health. Anyone in the same boat, or have been taken off the waitlist? 

Thanks! And congrats to all those who got acceptances :)

Edited by jayybird

I emailed Charlotte Lombardo a couple of days ago regarding my application for UofT MPH HP (Global Health), and she told me my application is still in progress. Not sure if this means I'm waitlisted (as some people have already been accepted) or if it's a rejection :S 

Has anyone who has been admitted to the MPH HP @ UofT tell me what date you have to reply? And if anyone has heard from the Global Health Emphasis stream?? 

I am also waitlisted at SFU for Global Health. Anyone in the same boat, or have been taken off the waitlist? 

Thanks! And congrats to all those who got acceptances :)

I received the email from Charlotte Lombardo about 2 weeks ago (April 9) and in that email she mentioned that we would be getting the official offer in the mail in about 3 weeks from that date. From the day we receive our application, we have 2 weeks to accept it.

I think it takes almost a month or so to receive the official letter in the mail.

1) The tutors sound great - I am thankful for some guidance when I begin the program. Do you also have a mentor who's an alumni of the program? I think I saw this being advertised on the DLSPH website.

2) Do you have advice on how to fund the degree outside of getting paid for practicum, OSAP etc.? In your year did many people receive the OGS?

1) You can apply for the mentorship program with the Alumni, but not everyone gets a match. I did not. I'm unsure how they base these decisions, but i like to think its related to interests. 

2) I only know one person in my class that got OGS first year. A lot of people apply for it second year. Nobody really knows how many get it, but I have heard we compete amongst the PhDs for one pot of money, which again, can be problematic. In addition, there is a small scholarship that gets awarded to select students in the program, but you can't apply for it. I wouldn't bother inquiring about it either. Other than that, there is OSAP. 

When it comes down to it, the MPH program (especially EPi and HP) are highly regarded in Canada and I believe only 10% of applicants get accepted. Its also a professional program, and for this, i think UofT may believe it doesn't have to provide the Masters level funding other programs do. There are mixed opinions about this, but I wouldn't bank on scholarship or OGS money to fund your way. Plan to fund the program yourself, and if you get funded elsewhere, its a bonus. 

Speaking of OGS, has anyone from the U of T program heard back?? Did anyone else apply??

I received an email today from guelph saying I am waitlisted and it mentioned they had over 350 people apply for only 20 spots

I haven't heard anything from Guelph. Is it safe to assume I was rejected? 

Hi all,

The class sizes are fairly large. Our classes this year were relatively large (30-60 people) and mostly lecture style, One core class (public health policy) had about 100 people. Dalla Lana has become its own faculty, and rumour has it that class sizes are growing. Our class size this year was i believe 32. It depends on your learning style. Some people in the class can be very quiet and don't like to participate, others do. Lecture style may be more conducive to person X's learning, whereas a more seminar style class may be more beneficial to person Y. I've heard the smaller class sizes come with electives in second year.

I hope this is helpful.

very helpful. Were most of the practicums for the epi program in Toronto or were there any international opportunities?.

Edited by KitBreak

C

For those waiting on Memorial, I received an e-mail yesterday offering me a position on the waitlist.

Congratulations! i wish I have good news from UVic!

is there any penalty for accepting 1 school. and then declining it later?

Depends on the school. If the school asks for a deposit, then you would lose it if you declined. If not, I don't see what other penalty there could be. I'm sure that kind of thing happens all the time, given how long it takes everyone to get their acceptances out.

Hmm your stats seem pretty decent. What was this "unusual" undergrad? I like to think that ad coms like some variety, but I can also say the vast majority of epi students come from strong life science / med/ health science and research backgrounds.

LOL, Forensic science. I think it's a pretty atypical undergrad.

Edited by bed0uin

For those waiting on Queens:

I just called them and they said that if you haven't received an email regarding an acceptance/rejection then you're probably on the wait list. There's about 21 people on the wait list and the program directors are off until next week, so decisions will be made then. :)

Did they tell you where you were on the waiting list?

LOL, Forensic science. I think it's a pretty atypical undergrad.

bed0uin, that's awesome! Did you do your degree at UTM? I'm at St. George and I took one course on forensic pathobiology taught by Dr. Michael Pollanen which was really neat.

Have you applied to other places for MPH? If not, Mac is lucky to have you (forensic science is not a common undergrad bgrd!). :)