Applying for Fall 2014

georgemckean

I hope this week brings lots of acceptances for all of us! Waiting is pretty killer... It's been insanely cold where I am (about -23ºF) recently, so there has been little more for me to do besides check Grad Cafe (from the warmth and safety of my apartment) and hope for updates. Good luck to everyone!

Should be a big week, at least in the theory world. I think UT-Austin will send out acceptances this week, and word on the street is Yale has been doing interviews over the past week and will probably announce soon as well.

Can't decide if it's better to lose heart at this point and be surprised by good news, or to keep on believin' just to be let down when the rejections arrive. The schools I've applied to have almost surely already sent out their acceptances, so it's looking like I'll get to do this all over again next year.

Congratulations princessgesualdodavenosa!

Congrats to the following recent acceptances: musicology at Columbia, Cambridge, and Illinois; ethno at UC Riverside, UC Davis, and University of Toronto; comp at Davis and CUNY; theory at Tufts; and classical guitar at SMU. Looking forward to hearing more good news! 

Thank you! U of T doesn't do interviews for graduate music, to my knowledge.

Hi there!  They do interview for Music Ed (I had my interview a few weeks ago), so I was just wondering about timing - how long from interview to decision - but I guess that doesn't apply in your situation!  Congratulations again!

I received my first notification via email today. I was waitlisted at Washington University in St. Louis. Ah, well. St. Louis would have been a great place to spend half a decade. Big congratulations to the two posters who were accepted to WUSTL!

Hi virtual comrades! I noticed on the results page that a few people had gotten notifications from UCLA (or were emailed and directed to the grad status login page). I haven't heard anything, and when I check the status page it just says "In progress -- pending decision" (or something to that extent). Is anyone in a similar boat? I'm not expecting good news at this point, but that's okay -- I just want a concrete answer!

Hi tutupack4:

When I check my Application status for UCLA, it still just reads "submitted." Is there a separate status page (apart from the page where I built and submitted my application) that I am not aware of? Thanks!

Hi tutupack4:

When I check my Application status for UCLA, it still just reads "submitted." Is there a separate status page (apart from the page where I built and submitted my application) that I am not aware of? Thanks!

Hey Eisler! Yeah, there's a page on the main graduate school site that allows you to check your decision status: https://www.gradadmissions.ucla.edu/newapp/Login.asp?topage=AdmissionStatus.asp

Good luck! :)

Any word on the street about Penn? I had an interview over 3 weeks ago and would like to know when they'll release their decisions (if they haven't already.) Judging from past years, it seems like they usually send things out more on the late side?

Same. They said to me it will take a minimum of 2 weeks though. I guess maybe they don't release until it's all approved by the graduate school or something, rather than sending out unofficial departmental acceptances.

Same. They said to me it will take a minimum of 2 weeks though. I guess maybe they don't release until it's all approved by the graduate school or something, rather than sending out unofficial departmental acceptances.

I think that's right.  My acceptance email back in 2012 said, "You will receive a formal offer letter in the coming weeks, but you should know that your admission to the program has already been approved by the Dean of the Graduate Division." 

I heard from UPenn today, just to let y'all know. It was an email from the department, but sounds as if it's already been confirmed by the graduate school. 

Come on Brown...

Edited by music

I see there were a lot of composition applicants rejected by Princeton on Feb. 27.  Take heart, rejectees.  I happen to find one of their composition faculty very... unpleasant.  It may be a blessing in disguise.

I see there were a lot of composition applicants rejected by Princeton on Feb. 27.  Take heart, rejectees.  I happen to find one of their composition faculty very... unpleasant.  It may be a blessing in disguise.

Okay, now I'm curious. I don't mean to pettifog, but I've seen at least one other such complaint about a Princeton composer. I have thought of applying there for the PhD program; I'm especially interested in studying with Steven Mackey. Can you specify who – and what about him/her – is so unpleasant?

Let's just say this person gives me the "D.T."s and I don't even drink.

Hahaha. He certainly does have a reputation in the theory world, I've never heard much about him from composers but I'd be interested in those stories.

Edited by kccur

Thanks, tutupack. I checked the site, and I am getting the same message as you. "In progress." I am ready for a concrete answer, too!

Eisler, I emailed the department to see what was going on, and they replied that they had already sent out the first wave of acceptances, but that I had been placed on the waiting list -- which is why they hadn't updated my status. It might be worth emailing them as well!

So Chicago half-rejected me by accepting me into MAPH.... though I will not be going, I'm curious to know if anyone's actually considered it.