Applying for Fall 2014

georgemckean

Congratulations! :)

If you don't mind my asking, who's your Cambridge interview with?

Messaged you :)

Wait-listed at Stanford... Really wanted that one to work out...

I assume no one from any music major has heard back from UC Berkeley yet?

You know, it's sort of interesting- it looks like UCB sends out acceptances for MOST departments in late January, and then the rejections later (by which I mean if you check out the results right now for "UC Berkeley," it pretty much looks like they have only sent out acceptances, with the exception of a few departments). Well... hopefully the music school is just taking a little longer than most, yeah? Congrats to all of those who have gotten interviews and acceptances so far!

You know, it's sort of interesting- it looks like UCB sends out acceptances for MOST departments in late January, and then the rejections later (by which I mean if you check out the results right now for "UC Berkeley," it pretty much looks like they have only sent out acceptances, with the exception of a few departments). Well... hopefully the music school is just taking a little longer than most, yeah? Congrats to all of those who have gotten interviews and acceptances so far!

I know someone who heard from Cal for ethno.  Results should be coming soon.

Hi everyone, new member here. I heard from Berkeley today for Ethno, and I'm ecstatic to say I was accepted! A few more Ethno applicants were also notified, according to the latest postings on the Results Forum. I haven't seen any news for Comp or History & Literature at Cal, though. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back! 

Hi everyone, new member here. I heard from Berkeley today for Ethno, and I'm ecstatic to say I was accepted! A few more Ethno applicants were also notified, according to the latest postings on the Results Forum. I haven't seen any news for Comp or History & Literature at Cal, though. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back! 

Congrats! :D

Congrats! I suppose I was just a bit too quick on the posting. I haven't heard anything from them, so at this point I'm just expecting a rejection letter. Ah well, it probably was the weakest fit for me in a number of ways... I had just met some of the faculty there at the SEM conference and they were really wonderful to talk to about the field and whatnot. If you choose to go, I'm sure you will have an awesome experience. Again, congrats to you and all who were accepted! (Oh, and also congrats to the UCSB acceptee; I saw that posted a few days ago). 

Stanford has sent out at least some rejections for the DMA in composition. I know 'cause I got one.

Can't tell if I'm really this unsurprised and sanguine about it, or if I'll realize that I'm super-bummed out later on. I think I expected this, but after all the work of applying (not to mention the $125), I'm not sure it's possible to completely believe that a rejection is coming.

I really did have reservations about my musical compatibility with the faculty and fellow students there, anyway, so a part of me agrees with their decision (except, of course, for the incontrovertible FACT of my awesomeness and the related conundrum of how any program could reject me! :-) but life is full of mysteries...).

Good luck everyone!

st

Congrats! I suppose I was just a bit too quick on the posting. I haven't heard anything from them, so at this point I'm just expecting a rejection letter. Ah well, it probably was the weakest fit for me in a number of ways... I had just met some of the faculty there at the SEM conference and they were really wonderful to talk to about the field and whatnot. If you choose to go, I'm sure you will have an awesome experience. Again, congrats to you and all who were accepted! (Oh, and also congrats to the UCSB acceptee; I saw that posted a few days ago). 

Thank you very much! The adcom director conveyed to me that there will likely be an extensive wait list, so you never know. Good luck with the rest of your applications! 

Congratulations!! That is good news.

Congratulations to the person accepted to UMKC, DMA Music Composition. I auditioned at UMKC when I was considering Master's programs. It's a beautiful campus -- a lot of walking uphill, though. The faculty I met were very nice.

So UChicago emailed me at midnight and I'm holding them responsible for my lack of sleep...

I'm gonna get my PhD!!!!!  :D  :D :D

Wooooo, congrats!

(And now I'm going to be extra anxious all day/everyday about when they'll start sending out Music History and Theory admits...)

Wahoo!!  That's super awesome!!

Beside myself with joy. The Logan Centre is stunning, the whole university looks like Hogwarts, the new library is like something from the future, I had the best time when I visited over the summer, and *the* guy in my field teaches there. Hoping to fly out for the prospective student day, and already looking at housing options :)

Wooooo, congrats!

(And now I'm going to be extra anxious all day/everyday about when they'll start sending out Music History and Theory admits...)

I see that someone posted an acceptance under "Chicago Musicology." Haven't heard anything yet though... nervous!

Edited by Harmonielehre

Beside myself with joy. The Logan Centre is stunning, the whole university looks like Hogwarts, the new library is like something from the future, I had the best time when I visited over the summer, and *the* guy in my field teaches there. Hoping to fly out for the prospective student day, and already looking at housing options :)

Right? It's like no place I've ever seen. So I guess Chicago is your #1 choice? In that case, extra congrats! 

Well, I was supposed to fly to Boston today for interviews, but I guess Jack Frost thought otherwise.  ^_^

Congrats to everyone who has received positive results so far!

Edited by musicbox

Right? It's like no place I've ever seen. So I guess Chicago is your #1 choice? In that case, extra congrats! 

I don't know really, I assumed that I'd be getting straight rejections so just applied to my 5 top places, thinking I'd take any of them in an instant. Still feeling the same way, but well...Chicago kind of has everything...

I don't know really, I assumed that I'd be getting straight rejections so just applied to my 5 top places, thinking I'd take any of them in an instant. Still feeling the same way, but well...Chicago kind of has everything...

Congratulations! And hey, you never know: you might have a few schools battling it out for your attendance! But I've heard really good things about Chicago's program; a friend of a friend goes there and really has enjoyed it. They also seem to have a good number of placements on the wikijobs page, which is always promising!

And PheonixKing: Thanks for the heads up about the waiting list. I'm not holding my breath (I figure a lot of people would consider Cal their top choice), but it's nice to have a little glimmer of hope. :)

Edited by airmusic

PS fellow Chicago theory/music history applicants, heard from someone today who got a Chicago acceptance yesterday, so it's not looking good for the rest of us. Drats. Thought I had a halfway decent shot there.

Big congrats to those accepted at Chicago!

I too am awaiting results for composition (and preparing myself for probable rejection)... what's the word, composers?