Help Appreciated

Hello,

I am in a difficult situation and would appreciate any insight that can be offered. I am currently an undergraduate sophomore in NC studying Human Development and Family Studies. It took me a while to find the career for me, helping others in the exact way I wanted, but I know that Speech Pathology is for me. My school offers Communication Sciences and Disorders as a Bachelors degree, but it is extremely competitive and they take a very limited number of students. My GPA is quite low, due to family emergencies since I began college, and admission is solely based on GPA. If I don't get accepted into the program the first time I apply, I will have to wait another year to apply (and I don't have other classes that I can take during that time). I also wouldn't be able to retake classes to raise my GPA because of my schools' policy.

Anyways, it seems that having a Bachelors in Communication Sciences and Disorders gives you a "leg-up" in the race to graduate school, so I am worried that if I choose to finish my degree in Human Development, that I will not be able to find a three-year graduate program near NC that includes the pre-requisites or a post-back that I can complete affordably (because no financial aid is offered).
Any advice is appreciated!

Sorry for the long post.

Slpassion,

Every year, many students enter great graduate programs without an undergraduate degree in the field. Majoring in Human Development should not really interfere with your hopes of Communication Disorders graduate work. Go ahead and apply for the CommD program at your school, and if you are denied entry all will still be well. Try to minor in Comm Sciences or just take as many courses in it as you can. If you are unable to do this, take related linguistics or psychology courses, anything you can to show a graduate committee your familiarity with the field. 

At the end of the day, graduate admission committees want to select prepared students that show drive, competence, and cleverness. Attach a list of "relevant coursework", a list of courses you really would like the admission committee too see that you've taken, to your graduate school application if you are worried they will view you as unprepared.

Try to boost your GPA as much as you can, precisely for the same reason. The grades are not arbitrary markers of intelligence; they show the committee that you have a set of skills. If you cannot take as many courses as you'd like, spend a lot of time perfecting your writing sample to show them your dedication. 

Everything will work out, so don't worry too much! Just work as hard as you can and think about your goal every day.

Edited by Horseshoe

I agree that not changing the major will work okay in the long run, but work hard on that GPA. You'll need it for grad school applications.

Can anyone chime in on 3-year programs in North Carolina or nearby? I know Vanderbilt has a 3-year option.

I believe WCU and Appalachian both have 3-year programs, but I would definitely double check.

ECU allows students into their program with as few as 18 CSD course credits (so basically a minor).

I don't know of others off the top of my head, but I'd recommend using ASHA's EdFind tool to assist you in finding schools.  The program websites are (often) even better, and usually have information about 3-year programs, leveling years, etc. in an FAQ or similar page.

WCU and App State both have three year programs and I know a few people who got accepted to their 3 year programs. Radford University in Virginia also has a three year program that I and several others who applied to got in to as well.

I also went the HDFS route, though as a second BS after a low GPA degree in Chemistry some 6-7 years earlier (I really was convinced I wanted to go into social work, and fell in love with language after some great SLI and ESL intervention courses.) I might also recommend looking into taking some leveling courses online or in-person if possible) if you don't get in to help prove to the admissions committee that you have some aptitude and demonstrate a commitment to the field. Just my limited experience, good luck!

UNC Greensboro also has a 3-year program.  ASU, WCU, and UNC G have limited spots in the 3-year program, so they are actually more competitive.  I got into App, WCU, and ECU - ultimately chose ECU on campus (although I was also accepted into the distance ed program) -- I am also coming from out of field.  slpassion, even though you know you want to apply for CSD master's programs -- I would seriously consider knocking out the 6 to 8 pre-req classes for the programs you intend to complete applications.  It is totally worth it.  Add a class or two every semester, or even do a few classes over the summer and you'll be done.  USU tuition is very affordable if you can't do the classes at your current institution.  I was told by a prof on a campus visit that I would be a lot more competitive as an applicant with as many classes completed as possible off the pre-req list.  You can always complete one to three classes that final summer (I am taking 3 classes this summer - 1 optional, 2 required), but definitely demonstrate your knowledge of the overall field plus your passion for learning SLP related stuff outside of your major.  I applied everywhere in NC as well as USC Columbia, and got in almost everywhere (waitlisted at Greensboro and USC, rejected from UNC for not enough pre-reqs completed at time of application), so let me know if you have any questions or would like any advice I could offer specific to the universities where you are applying.  I am SO looking forward to starting at ECU this Fall.  The on campus class has been filled-- we have 24 students in my class and there is a mix of backgrounds / majors throughout the entire class.  Diversity in everyone's personal and academic experiences is critical to most SLP programs now. 

Many people have suggested that I take the pre-requisite coursework, but that is not an option for me. I do not have the financial resources, even though I am currently working full-time in order to afford my tuition and rent. I would absolutely take them, if my school allowed it but in order to take any speech-related classes, you have to be accepted into the CSD major. Since I am a human development major, I cannot take the courses. I appreciate all of the feedback though!

Edited by slpassion

Quite a few people have gone the no-pre-req route and have gained acceptances into grad school, so don't let that issue deter you from pursuing your SLP dream!  As many on here can probably tell you, there are programs everywhere that offer three-year programs or add on an extra semester or extra summer for people who are out-of-field.  Since you can't do the pre-reqs where you are now, and are financially limited to take classes elsewhere, that may be the best option for you.  I noticed in your original post that your GPA is "low" (you didn't say how low, but just an observation) -- that is a pretty big thing to focus on between now and your final semesters where you currently are in school.  The cut-off for just about every single SLP master's program is 3.0, and while the schools accept a range of GPAs and GRE's (as far as the numbers go), they typically won't even look at applications that don't have GPA's at least at 3.0.  Don't know if that's you, you didn't state what yours is -- but just do everything you can to raise that GPA, re-take courses that you did poorly in ONLY if it will actually replace the grade (if it just adds in but doesn't replace the old course grade, it may not be worth the extra cost of retaking the class).  

Whatever you decide to do with your human development major -- you are going to bring skills and knowledge to the table that a person majoring in CSD may not necessarily have, and you will be able to contribute to the diversity of the master's classes.  So, that is a GOOD thing!  If you can volunteer or get some observation hours in with a rehab clinic, SNF, hospital, or even watching an SLP work with children in a daycare, record all of that and remember to write about it in your SOP.  Give your academic and personal profile the biggest boost you can without actually having the pre-reqs.  PLENTY of people on these forums got in to really great programs (UC Boulder, for example) and are doing the three-year option.  

Best of luck to you, and keep persevering!  With passion and a drive for what you want, you'll make it!! 

Because I currently don't have the option of taking the pre-reqs, I am looking for a 3-year SLP masters program or taking extra semesters, or as long of a route as I have to to become an SLP. I'm ashamed of my gpa because I took very challenging classes all at once, and will probably be able to take it from a 3.1 to a 3.5/3.6

I'm worried that because it is low, compared to other students, I won't have a chance at acceptance. My passion and drive have helped me to set goals though including:

-Studying as often as I can and doing well on the GRE

-Volunteering and shadowing in as many settings as possible (SNF, hospital,pediatric setting, ect)

-For my HDFS internship, get placed in a setting working with disabled/elderly/children population

-Gaining a job related to disabilities/speech disorders (even if it's desk work)

-Getting my GPA up as high as possible and focusing on doing well in my classes.

If there is anything I should also add to my list, feel free to respond

I think if you could get your GPA up to a 3.5 that you would be competitive,I have seen people this year with that GPA get accepted. As long as you write a really good SOP and get good numbers on the GRE I think you will be fine. Just be smart with the programs that you do apply to because there are some programs that are more competitive than others and may be harder to get into. If you apply to a good range of schools I think you will have a good shot at getting accepted!