Deferring enrollment to M.A. program

Virago

Is it possible to defer enrollment to a program for a semester while attending another? has anyone else done this? I am choosing between two programs and having a difficult time. Have any of you attended a program and switched to another school after the first semester because you had a hard time adjusting and/or weren't compatible with the program? 

I strongly advise against planning to transfer schools before you've even started. Transferring from one program to another should only occur because of SERIOUS grievances that you possibly couldn't anticipate now (and if you could then decision made! go to the other school...) MA programs are what you make of it. In your case where you don't have a clear winner (Rutgers vs. Temple right?) there is no bad decision to be made. But in order to get the most out of what the MA program has to offer then you have to stick around to benefit from it...e.g., LoRS from professors that have known you for more than one semester.

Have you talked to your undergrad adviser? If you're still stuck at the end of May you should definitely be asking for their help in making a decision.

Thank you Hegel's Bagels. I am actually stuck between Syracuse and Temple. I really like the faculty at Temple, the opportunities the city has to offer, and the proximity to NYC and DC. Syracuse offers a tuition scholarship however, and this is making me have second thoughts. Syracuse doesn't seem like the most exciting place to live and being a Southern Californian I'm sure I'd have a hard time adjusting to the cold weather. As you can see, I am not only conflicted by the financial situation but the fact that I'll potentially live in one of these two cities and that the living circumstances will affect me. Temple doesn't offer any funding, this isn't a deal breaker but it's definitely a con. 

The reason I asked about deferring is because I am a little afraid of commitment, I admit. I am afraid of putting all of my eggs in one basket. I like to have an exit strategy. I am coming to realize that I'll have to stick with whichever school I choose, and that's tough.

Edited by Virago

Thank you Hegel's Bagels. I am actually stuck between Syracuse and Temple. I really like the faculty at Temple, the opportunities the city has to offer, and the proximity to NYC and DC. Syracuse offers a tuition scholarship however, and this is making me have second thoughts. Syracuse doesn't seem like the most exciting place to live and being a Southern Californian I'm sure I'd have a hard time adjusting to the cold weather. As you can see, I am not only conflicted by the financial situation but the fact that I'll potentially live in one of these two cities and that the living circumstances will affect me. Temple doesn't offer any funding, this isn't a deal breaker but it's definitely a con. 

The reason I asked about deferring is because I am a little afraid of commitment, I admit. I am afraid of putting all of my eggs in one basket. I like to have an exit strategy. I am coming to realize that I'll have to stick with whichever school I choose, and that's tough.

Hey, Philadelphia, is cold, too!

Several years ago, I housesat for an extended period in Syracuse, NY. Personally, I did find a place like Syracuse kind of blah. Which may be actually an asset to you -- you'll focus on your studies.

The culture that I can think of on the top of my head is the small Museum of Art (Everson), and I believe there are galleries at the University. There is also this amazing grocery store called Wegmans, which is largely in Western New York. They have extensive selections of things like mix your own selection of craft beer, and an elegant layout (at least the Ithaca branch does). You've also mentioned transport. When I housesat, I had access to the person's vehicle. In the suburbs, a car makes things easier -- although, I never did look into the public transit system. Philadelphia, in contrast, has a significant underground and suburban rail system. You can get to the outermost, surrounding towns by suburban rail, which is a nice option for day trips. There's lots of little colleges out there.

Now for Syracuse, you'll be further from DC, but I bet it's accessible by rail (longer trip) or by plane (shorter trip). Personally, I have flown on jetBlue from Syracuse into New York City, and it was pretty easy. Once at the airport, I took the Airtrain and the LIRR into the city. While not as cheap as a bus or the train, the airfare was definitely affordable. You may be able to fly in, in the morning, and fly out the same day? However, as I have also stayed in Philadelphia, your access to the eastern seaboard cities, like DC, NYC, Baltimore, and Boston, will be much more plentiful. There's also a lot more life in Philly I feel, and culture that you'll have access to. Plus, Philly is a museum city. Benjamin Franklin Parkway is filled with them. Amazing cultural access in one spot!

As for weighing the scholarship... many people on GradCafe urge new students not to pay for the program themselves, or take on debt -- rather, take the scholarship option when it is offered. Unless there is something particularly compelling academically at Temple for you, I'd recommend going with Syracuse. 

Also, I'd check out the city guides on GradCafe to see if there's any for Philly and for Syracuse. That may allay some of your concerns -- and you can ask more specific questions there.
Edited by ArtHistoryandMuseum

Remember also that MA's are generally for two years. 

Maybe for your next career step, whether it is a PhD program or other, you'll have a warm and sunny spot to move to!

Honestly, though, I would suspect you'd adapt to the climate if you come to either Philly or Syracuse. And if you didn't, or didn't fully, adapt, then it's still a good experience to have, I think. 

However, I do totally get what you mean. After having flown from the West, into an east coast airport, like New York City, my heart always sunk in the jetbridge. In that tunnel, I could just feel the cold humidity. "Back to the cold," I thought. HAHA

I have also visited LA and Long Beach, CA. I could also imagine how nice that it must be in your area, and how you are not ready for the cold!

Edited by ArtHistoryandMuseum

Thanks for your advice ArtHistoryandMuseum and Mary Queen of Scotch. 

I guess I won't know if the decision I make will be the right one until I analyze in retrospect. It's my first time moving away from home and I just want to be someplace cool with great museums.

I have yet another question for you. Is it looked down upon if an M.A. student applies to PhD programs outside the school where the MA was earned? To be more specific, if I were to go to Temple (and since Temple offers the PhD) would it be fine to want to pursue my PhD at another program or is it expected that the MA students matriculate into the PhD at Temple. The purpose for my pursuing the MA is that I wish for it to be a platform. 

My last question. How accurate is gut feeling?

a) I think it's expected that you'll apply elsewhere. It's better for your career not to stay at one school and have input on your work from different faculties. I wouldn't worry about being at Temple forever if you go there (unless you later decide you want to be.)

b ) That's not bad advice, but I think ranking matters less for you in this situation. What are the placement rates like for PhDs, if that's what you're planning on? If Temple blows Syracuse out of the water, then maybe that's worth going into debt for. 

c) I'm guessing both are about equally strong in your area, but does one city have a stronger collection of the work you'd want access to? Or does NYC or DC? What about access to archives you might need? 

d) When all else fails, flip a coin. Usually you'll figure out which way you were hoping it would land.

Edited by runaway

If you want "someplace cool with great museums" and plenty of museum collections to visit over time -- that is definitely Philadelphia.

However, graduate school's main focus is not visiting museums. It's about setting yourself up for scholarly research.

It would be one thing if you are committing long term to this area -- perhaps for an ordinary job, where things to do outside of work is essential part of life -- OR if you needed to have access to a particular museum(s) for research, but I think your attention now should really be weighing "if this is the MA program for me?"

if you want to go for a phd after this, then you should be going to temple.  its a much better school. and most masters aren't funded.  also, i know a student at temples masters who offered to teach a course for funding and they said yes, so she wound up getting money.  its MUCH closer to nyc and dc, and also has a great museum.  temple is a great school.  go to the best school you can, i think, or youll find yourself in 2 years trying to figure out why you didn't get accepted into a t10 phd program....just my thoughts, feel free to ignore.

I love Philadelphia, it is one of my absolute most favorite cities. It's really muggy and hot in the summer and bitter cold in the winter (tons of snow and slush). The people who live and work there are tough, nosey and sometimes incredibly rude - I have never been put more in my place ANYWHERE than Philadelphia (one time, I accidentally stepped on this woman's foot and I went, "Sorry, I'm so sorry!" and without missing a beat: "You're sorry? Then write me a goddamn check." Trust me, I have a million of these quips.) . 

However, being in Philly with quite a few graduate programs within the region (Temple, UPenn, State College, Rutgers, Udel),there will definitely be more competition for those lucrative spots in Philly museums than if you were to attend a program at Syracuse where you will be attending the only art history program in the city and less than a few in the region. Opportunities for working at Upstate New York museums, which are smaller staffed and may provide a more fully immersible experience will serve you just as well or better than attending Temple. However, these things are ALL dependent on: 1) your field, 2) the connections your department has with the institutions,and 3) your own networking skills. It is so incredibly easy to network in Philly - every single time I've gone, I've made so many new art history friends without a beat (it's easier than NYC to me, honestly)  

However, I have never been to Syracuse, though I do have a friend who received their MA from there, but from her stories I was not really impressed with the program or her experiences (she, however, was very happy with her experiences). However, walking away from any kind of funding should not be taken lightly - especially if you account for the cost of tuition at Temple AND the cost of living remotely near Philadelphia, which can be quite steep. If you can afford it, then I say that you seem to like Temple so go for it, but if not, I would heavily consider Syracuse. 

I highly recommend having a conversation with alumni or current students at both programs to gauge how you'd fit there, especially if you are on the fence. 

Also, don't think that going to Temple will automatically make your degree more substantial; opportunities are honestly all about location and luck: I have a BA and work as a museum researcher; however, when I visited the PMA, a Temple Masters graduate had only been able to secure a job at the ticket desk since receiving their degree (we had a good, long conversation about this). This is a bit anecdotal, but it sometimes happens. 

Honestly, and this is coming from a family with more Art History PhDs than I care to admit (I tried to avoid it as long as possible, but Art History sucked me back in!), the work YOU do is more important, job or PhD program-wise, than the place you go, or even than the advisor you have. 

The research you do matters more than where you go, and, when it plays a part at all, the place you get your PhD at matters more than where you get your Masters.

Edited by fuzzylogician
edited for privacy at poster's request. --fuzzy