Fall 2014 Newbie Talk

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome scores, how did you study for the verbal section? I'm having such an issue with getting the vocab words to stick! 

I used "Verbal Workout for the New GRE" published by the Princeton Review. I went through the whole book and found it really helpful. I honestly didn't focus as much on the words as I probably should have. I reviewed the ones in the book and in Kaplan's GRE book but I mainly relied on Latin roots from my high school Latin courses. Sorry that's not very helpful.

I honestly don't remember. I want to say about a month.

Okay thank you!

Hi everyone,

I just took the GRE too...ughhhhh I keep refreshing the ETS website for the Writing score!  haha

I know how you feel! I actually got an email saying my scores were ready but then the website will not let me view them. It kept saying my information doesn't match their records but I literally copy-pasted from their emails. I just emailed ETS. Grrrr.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, everyone! It's been a few months since I've popped in here. Congrats to all who successfully survived the GRE! I am also very impressed with everyone's stats and experience. Here are some updates on my SLP journey:

1.) I decided not to go the online post-bac route. If I do a post-bac, I would prefer to do it in person. I also heard mixed reactions from schools about which online post-bacs offered the best preparation for a Masters. I think it still might be an option for me if I don't get in for next fall, but I'm not doing it now.

2.) I am taking a class at Cal State San Marcos in the evenings on hearing disorders. It's not exactly a speech-language class, but it was the only class that fits into my current schedule (teaching full-time). I figure since I don't have any specific speech-languge/hearing disorders classes under my belt yet, I should try to take some before I apply to show I can succeed in these types of classes. I'm doing really well so far and LOVE it! So interesting!!!

3.) I'm still applying to 3 year programs for next fall, but have narrowed my list quite a bit. I will just be applying to SDSU and University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (my first choice-love their program). I am worried about how competitive these programs are, but am hoping for the best.

Here are my stats since some people have started posting theirs:

Undergrad GPA: 3.73

M.Ed GPA: 4.0

GRE: V- 167, Q-159, W-4.5

I've also been volunteering with an organization that teaches theater and singing classes to autistic teens and adults (so fun!) and hope to volunteer in a speech-language clinic and shadow a SLP soon. 

So far I've been able to juggle everything with my teaching job, but it's been very busy the last couple of months and will continue to be busy until I submit my applications. Right now I'm working on my personal statement and waiting for my letters of rec to come in. I may be popping in again for application advice soon :)

Good luck everyone! 

I attended UNI for an out of field BA. I really like UNI, but they have a reputation for giving a lot of weight to thier own undergrads. Other than that, it's a great school and Cedar Falls is a nice little town. If you end up getting in there and want any advice on the area, feel free to contact me.

Hi everyone! I'm a prospective international student from the Philippines and I'm going to apply for 2014 admissions. It's just nice to be able to read threads like this. It helps a lot to know I'm not the only one going through this tough process. :) I'm currently studying for the GRE as well and I'm planning to take it in August. I'm going to apply to only 3 schools--WSU Spokane, U of Nebraska-Lincoln, and U of Northern Iowa--so I'm really crossing my fingers. Has anyone here heard anything about these school's SLP program?

Anyway, I'm actually already a practising SLP here in the Philippines where the entry level for the profession is a bachelor's degree. But I want to have the option of working in English-speaking countries so I want to do my grad studies already. I already got accepted in Macquarie University in Australia. Still, I want to have lots of options for my grad studies so like all of you, I'm also preparing for 2014 admissions.

Best of luck to all of us! :)       

Hello everyone! My name's Ben. I graduated from the CSD program at Western Washington in June 2012. I took some time off, but it's already that time of year again. I'd ideally like to go to the MedSLP program at UW, but we'll see how things turn out!

GRE: 162 (V), 157 (Q), 5.0 (AW)

GPA: overall 3.77, major 3.72, last 90 3.68

Schools I'm applying to (still a work in progress): UW - MedSLP, WWU, UC Boulder (maybe)

I'm a little bit worried about my GPA, since it slowly went downhill over the course of my undergrad... I pushed myself to graduate in 3 years, though, rather than 4. During my senior year, when my GPA took the biggest hit, I was also working as an advisor in the dorms, I was on the swim team, and I was preparing for my harp recital, so I definitely wasn't slacking off. My other concern is that I don't have much relevant experience. Aside from NSSLHA, the clinical practicum, and observation hours as an undergrad, the only other experience I have is from shadowing. Other than that, I've just been working to save up money the past year, and I've continued to work on harp. I did a lot of volunteering with exchange students as an undergrad, though - hopefully that will count for something. Any suggestions for how to make my application stronger in the time that's left? :)

AuD2018 - That's a little scary especially since I'm applying to 3 schools only. I appreciate that info though! I just hope it all works out for me!  

Sorry to scare you! All the programs are very competitive, as an international student your application will be different than a lot that UNI may see. Another thing about UNI undergraudate is that a lot of them have never lived out of the state so leaving for grad school is appealing. I truly do wish you luck, if UNI had an AuD program I would consider it. Also, if you like sports their teams are usually very good and the home tickets are included in the student fees. What made you pick UNI?

AuD2018- No worries. I appreciate any info that I can get and I will definitely message you if I do end up attending UNI. :) I chose it because of their curriculum and faculty. I also specifically chose schools in smaller cities which tend to be cheaper too based on my research. Those are my reasons among others.    

Yes AuD2018. I have read about Minot State. However, at this point, my school choices are already permanent. I have already sent in my application to 2/3 schools. I guess all I can do now is hope for the best! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I'm Aileen - I just graduated from SUNY New Paltz.  I transferred into their program after attending another school for two years with an Education/studio art double major.  I completed the major in two years, graduating on time, but struggled the first year due to undiagnosed Lyme Disease.  It was really hard jumping in that first year taking 5 classes in the major per semester feeling so terrible because of the Lyme!

GPA: 3.65

GRE: 158V 153Q 4AW

EC: NYSSHLA Member, two semesters as research assistant - presented at the ASHA conference in Atlanta

I'm applying to a lot of schools -

UNC Greensboro

UNC Chapel Hill

Appalachian State

CSU San Diego

CSU Redlands

CSU East Bay

Northeastern

Boston University

SUNY New Paltz (although I don't want to go back)

University of DC

My question is - should I address the issue of Lyme Disease in my letter of intent? My GPA isn't ridiculously low, however my first year GPA was around a 3.3, and my second was close to a 4.0.  I feel that the first year doesn't represent my academics accurately. Any advice would be awesome!

I always wonder the same thing. Is it worth drudging up something that happened in the past to explain a C on a transcript? With your experience and your GPA, I'd say it's better to explain yourself now, than use some of that precious word count to talk about "that year in college when..." As much as it may be informative and provide understanding, I don't think that will be the make or break point of your application. If you failed a semester- that would deserve some clarification. How was your GPA standing at the previous university?

Edited by NCAR823

Hey everyone! I'm Aileen - I just graduated from SUNY New Paltz.  I transferred into their program after attending another school for two years with an Education/studio art double major.  I completed the major in two years, graduating on time, but struggled the first year due to undiagnosed Lyme Disease.  It was really hard jumping in that first year taking 5 classes in the major per semester feeling so terrible because of the Lyme!

GPA: 3.65

GRE: 158V 153Q 4AW

EC: NYSSHLA Member, two semesters as research assistant - presented at the ASHA conference in Atlanta

I'm applying to a lot of schools -

UNC Greensboro

UNC Chapel Hill

Appalachian State

CSU San Diego

CSU Redlands

CSU East Bay

Northeastern

Boston University

SUNY New Paltz (although I don't want to go back)

University of DC

My question is - should I address the issue of Lyme Disease in my letter of intent? My GPA isn't ridiculously low, however my first year GPA was around a 3.3, and my second was close to a 4.0.  I feel that the first year doesn't represent my academics accurately. Any advice would be awesome!

I'd recommend it explaining the Lyme Disease - you're right that your GPA isn't "ridiculously low", but grad school is so competitive you want every edge you can get. Frankly, I think it's quite impressive that you managed a 3.3 GPA with an untreated health condition. Rather than take up precious space in your SOP (and so you can keep your SOP focused on positive things, rather than excuses), consider attaching a separate letter. Some applications have a place for "additional information", or you can ask individual schools what the best way is to communicate this info. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm new on here. Hope everyone's applications are going smoothly and everyone's staying sane in the midst of this whole process!

I'm currently studying at Bloomsburg University.

My freshman year (before I realized the kind of grades I'd need to get accepted to graduate school...eek), my cumulative GPA for the two semester was a 3.36.  Since then, I've gotten my butt in gear and really turned it around.  Pending I do not royally tank any of my final exams next week, I will earn a 4.0 which will bring my final cumulative GPA for presentation to grad schools to a 3.74.  I think this demonstrates my capability to succeed as a graduate student, and would like to reference this in my essays/personal statements.  What I'm wondering, however, is if it would be worth it to do so since the programs will be able to look at my transcripts and see the increase in my grades for themselves.  Would it benefit me to write about this, or should I save myself the space? Any advice on this is welcome :)

kayeff, I think a very brief mention focusing on the "why" might be ok, but I wouldn't dwell on it.

I got the following advice from a professor who sat on last year's committee at my university: If we can find the information in your transcript or your letters of reference, save yourself the writing real estate in the essay unless there's a compelling backstory that needs to be told.

Edited by lexical_gap

Hey everyone! I'm new here, although I've been browsing for a while. 

I'm currently a senior at Towson University applying for SLP programs in the fall. I'm almost done submitting my applications.

Hopeful schools: University of New Hampshire, Southern Connecticut State University, St. John's, SUNY New Paltz, SUNY Plattsburgh

Good luck to everyone! We can do it!

Hi all, I'm new on here. Hope everyone's applications are going smoothly and everyone's staying sane in the midst of this whole process!

I'm currently studying at Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania.

My freshman year (before I realized the kind of grades I'd need to get accepted to graduate school...eek), my cumulative GPA for the two semester was a 3.36.  Since then, I've gotten my butt in gear and really turned it around.  Pending I do not royally tank any of my final exams next week, I will earn a 4.0 which will bring my final cumulative GPA for presentation to grad schools to a 3.74.  I think this demonstrates my capability to succeed as a graduate student, and would like to reference this in my essays/personal statements.  What I'm wondering, however, is if it would be worth it to do so since the programs will be able to look at my transcripts and see the increase in my grades for themselves.  Would it benefit me to write about this, or should I save myself the space? Any advice on this is welcome :)

I would mention it, but briefly. I'm in the same boat and I think it shows a lot about your motivation and that you can succeed in the program. Good luck!

Edited by Sammehh

I addressed my situation in literally one sentence, and as a method to bring attention to the higher marks I have in other semesters. Best to draw more attention to your strengths! Good luck :)

• 3 months later...

Can I post a question here even though I won't be applying until Fall 2014?

Absolutely. :)  But, in the future, you might just want to start a new thread since this one hasn't been used since early December.