Semitics Programs?

HinnehMahTov

I'm looking to apply to doctoral programs in Semitics with a matriculation of fall '14. I came to the decision to apply very late in my master's program; consequently, I'm late to the game in researching schools and advisors. As I'm sure most of you can imagine, I'm feeling very ignorant and overwhelmed by the application process, and seeing as I have no idea what I'm doing, I would welcome any advice I can find!

The relevant (as I imagine it) background is as follows. My interests are broadly in comparative Semitics -- I just plain love learning languages, and I'd love to end up teaching them one day. I also have a real love for the text of the Hebrew Bible, though my passion for theology is secondary in terms of research interests. I have a solid background in Hebrew, Greek, and German; I also have a semester of biblical Aramaic. I'm married with young kids, and we've decided that funding is a must for our situation. I'm currently studying for the GRE and talking to anybody and everybody I can find who might have something worth my consideration.

I was glad to find helpful lists of good programs here and Would anyone add any schools to what's written there? Better yet, does anyone know of any programs that sound like they might be a good match for someone like me? As ambiguous and unhelpful as this plea for help may be, I'd appreciate some input from those who have been here and done this. Thanks!

The first link you posted has more than enough helpful comments from recent graduates of top Semitics programs (Brandeis, JHU, ect). 

As for which is the best? That largely depends on your specific interests. As in any field search each program and find the best fits. Then apply accordingly! 

A friend of mine is aiming for something similar. His first choice is Chicago. I've also heard really good things about Toronto, but funding could be an issue there. Can you narrow it down a bit in terms of specific interests? If theology is secondary for you, you may prefer to go through a department of near eastern studies or similar (as opposed to religious studies, divinity/theology, or even Jewish studies.) you have lots of options :) Are there particular academics whose books you enjoy? Any sense of who you would like to study with? Good luck!

For Comp. Semitics, I don't think UT Austin can be beat right now. Huehnergard and Pat-El, Plus Hackett and Kaplan, and very strong Arabic faculty. Of course Chicago and JHU are great, esp. for ANE etc.--but if your interest is *linguistics* UT should be at or very near  the top of your list.

Qaus-gabri is absolutely correct. UT Austin has to be the top program in comparative semitics right now. I'd probably put Chicago second. Though 5 years ago Chicago was definitely at the top of semitics (under the supervision of Pardee), they're having a lot of faculty turn over right now, and it remains to be seen what the landscape will be like when the dust settles. 

You should take some time this summer to seriously consider what your interests are. You should especially consider job prospects in various fields after completing your doctoral studies. As everyone knows, the job market is dismal. This is especially the case for semitics PhDs. Right now, the best you could hope for with a semitics PhD is a renewable lecturer position. I'm at Yale right now, and both semitics professors here are in non-tenure track positions. In numerous conversations I've had with both of them, they have strongly recommended against getting a semitics PhD. If you have an interest in Hebrew Bible, you should look into HB/ANE programs (my list you refer to above is a good starting place). These programs will afford you the opportunity to study semitics and still provide you the remote possibility of getting a tenure track position somewhere (emphasis on remote). I'd be happy to recommend a few programs from my list for you to look into further. 

Best of luck with your applications. 

I'm sure Wela is right about most all of that--though I would add that UT's program is, properly, in the Middle Eastern Studies Department---the degree is "Middle Eastern Languages and Cultures" and the track is "Hebrew Bible / Ancient Near East." So, at least on paper, it's not a "Semitics" program (a la UW Madison). Of course, everyone knows that's where its emphases lie, but know that, as with most doctoral programs, students have to pick a secondary field---like religious studies, etc.---which could help to diversify your CV. I'm guessing if you can get some Islam, NT, or something like that, it should be helpful.

At least that's what I'm telling myself . . . 

Wow -- thanks for all the feedback! It's all very, very helpful. 

Wela isn't the first person to advise looking outside a narrow focus on Semitics due to the job market. For that reason, I've been looking into the possibility of working on Qumran literature (especially targumim). In my head, that would let me indulge in plenty of language work (especially Hebrew, Aramaic, and LXX Greek) while also qualifying me to do more than parse verbs. So I've been seriously considering Notre Dame, where VanderKam and Ulrich both teach and where a more generalist program is offered.

With that added, does anyone have any more suggestions or advice?

Yeah. ND has a great program. However, ND is one of the most competitive apps out there (perhaps THE most competitive, since you'll be applying with NT/Second Temple folk) and it wouldn't surprise me if either Ulrich or VanderKam (or both!) retired before you would finish.

Just a thought.

Yeah. ND has a great program. However, ND is one of the most competitive apps out there (perhaps THE most competitive, since you'll be applying with NT/Second Temple folk) and it wouldn't surprise me if either Ulrich or VanderKam (or both!) retired before you would finish.

Just a thought.

I was told Ulrich was not taking on anymore students...anyone else hear this?