Laptop vs Ultrabook advice

TheFez

I know there are related posts on the board.  But the technology changes often and my question is more specific.

I have $1200 (say including tax etc.) to spend on a portable computer.  I don't want an Apple. My cohorts all have idiosyncratic issues with drivers, software, etc.

So lots of questions....

1. Ultrabook or Laptop?

2. What Operating system? Is Windows 8 good? Is 7 better?

3. If I go Ultrabook, what else will I need? (external CD drive?) that needs to be in the $1200 budget.

I have a desktop at school and home but I plan to carry this around for most of my work. So I like the idea of light and small - but I also want a decent keyboard and display. So I am not looking to go uber compact.

I want something that boots up fast. My current machine (see below) takes forever.

I don't do anything that requires crazy high speeds (like simulations, etc.)0 - Mostly web access, Office stuff, some math programs (e.g. STATA, SPSS, R). I don't do gaming. Just school stuff.

I'd like to present Powerpoint presentations from it  (I know, I know switch to LaTEX)...

Do I need 4GB RAM? 8?   How about a touchscreen?

I don't want to get something I will regret because it doesn't have flexibility for stuff we don't even know about yet.

By way of comparison - my current laptop is a Dell Latitude D610 running Windows XP Pro - so pretty much anything is going to feel better.

TNX

I can't really help you since I decided to switch from Dell computers to Macbooks last fall when I started my PhD. But I have to say one thing -- stick with Powerpoint for presentations. LaTeX presentations (i.e. the "beamer" class) are not only really ugly (in my opinion) but all the presentations also look pretty much the same! If your school grants you a license to use Powerpoint, or if you can buy Powerpoint for cheap, I would definitely invest in it!

I just ordered an Asus Zenbook (13.3") myself, regular price is $1100 but it was on sale for $800. My personal bias is for Windows 7 unless you're getting a touchscreen. I think the consensus is that Windows 8 is weird without a touchscreen. I also like Asus because they often have a two year warranty that includes accidental damage.... very unusual nowadays unless you're paying extra for it! They also have better reliability than the cheaper brands like HP and Acer, on par with Apple. I'm going to try it without an external drive; so much of everything is downloaded nowadays.

From your description you would probably want an i5 processor and 4-8GB of RAM. I'd also look for computers with an SSD/HD hybrid (if you want more disk space.... I've seen lots of 24GB/500GB combos) or just a 256GB SSD (if you can pay more). That SSD really makes a difference in boot time and battery life, it's probably the best thing you can do to increase your computer's responsiveness. If you're not a gamer then don't worry about the video card.

I got a Windows 7 ultrabook last year and I really like it. It has a 14" screen, 4gb ram, and a core i5 processor. You probably won't need an external cd/dvd drive since most come with those. Mine did. I didn't go with SSD but I kinda wish I had in hindsight. Windows 8 only makes sense, imo, if it comes with a touchscreen. You can definitely find an ultrabook for $800 or less.

Laptop.  There are SEVERAL 4LB or less laptops out there that do not skimp on power. My recommendation would be the Thinkpad T430s (or if you want the newest T431s).  Both come in at under 4LBS, and are a lot lighter than they look (and I believe the T431s is classified as an Ultrabook).

I would also go for an SSD, but NOT manufacturer provided (ripoff).  By stock, and then get the Samsung 840 (whichever one fits your price point) along with the NEWMODEUS Hard Drive Caddy (not sure if they provide one for the T431s yet. . .)  This will allow you to take the stock HDD on your Thinkpad, slap it in the DVD/CD drive and use the SSD for everything computation related and leave the HDD for bulk storage.  This process is about as easy as can be and is just a matter of swapping out some screws.

If you go for a T430s, look in Lenovo's outlet for a returned model - you can often shave 200 or so bucks off.  You can get them for as low as 700 bucks.

And Windows 7.  Come on now.

I am looking into buying a new computer in the next few months as well, but I need a bit more of a workhorse computer (also not a mac). I am an engineer, so I need to be able to use CAD programs like solidworks, probably finite elements programs, and Matlab.

I need a i7 processor, and a good graphics card, but I do not know the specs for the graphics card or the hard drive. 

I was thinking of getting a laptop to be portable with a docking station and external monitor at my desk at home. I have heard that Lenovo Thinkpads are a very good option, but I am not sure much beyond that. What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

I can't say the specific laptop/ultrabook that's best for you (though the upcoming Asus Zenbook Infinity looks like my perfect laptop).  I will give some advice, though, and answer some of your questions.

First, ultrabook is a marketing term.  They're all laptops (or notebooks, rather).  Generally, ultrabooks are small, lightweight, thin, and have an ultra-low voltage Intel processor (sacrifice processing power for longer battery life).  They almost always have solid-state storage rather than a traditional hard disk drive and are typically much more difficult to upgrade or fix yourself.  If none of that means anything to you, don't worry.  The main thing is that ultrabook vs. laptop doesn't matter outside what will be the best fit for you.

Which operating system?

I lean towards Windows 7 unless you have a touch screen, but Windows 8 should be perfectly fine as well.  Windows 8 has some performance increases, but it also has some relatively radical shifts in design and user interface.  Windows 7 will more closely approximate what you're used to having used Windows XP or Windows Vista (7 is basically an improved version of Vista).  

What else will you need?

If your laptop/ultrabook doesn't have a DVD drive, you may want an external drive.  Unless you know you need to install software using a DVD, I'd skip ordering one until you know you need it.  Most people very rarely/never use their disc drives anymore as downloading software is much more convenient.

Boot-up Speed

Both Windows 7 and Windows 8 machines are capable of booting very quickly.  To boot quickly in Windows 7, hibernate instead of shutting down.  Turning your computer back on should take only a few seconds.  If you completely shut down the computer, it'll take anywhere from 15 seconds to 2+ minutes depending on Windows version/configuration and the software you have installed.  Windows 8 machines more or less only hibernate (they basically changed their classifications to make "shutting down" much quicker) and will boot very quickly.

Amount of RAM

The amount of RAM you want will most likely depend on the size of your data sets.  None of your other usages will benefit from more than 4 GB.  If you have some very large data sets, you might benefit from 8 GB.  

OTHER CONSIDERATIONS

Hard Drive vs. Solid-State Drive

Your primary storage will be either a hard drive or a solid-state drive.  Cheaper laptops almost always have hard drives.    Ultrabooks typically have solid-state drives.  Hard drives give you significantly more storage space for every dollar spent.  Solid-State drives are much faster and provide a better experience.  I'd highly recommend a solid-state drive as they have enough storage space for most users (exceptions are if you have a huge movie/music/other media collection) and are much better. 

Screen Resolution

When looking at specs, screen resolution typically comes in at 1366 x 768, 1920 x 1080, or 1600 x 900 on most laptops.  Higher resolutions will result in sharper images on the same size screen.  On default settings, higher resolution screens will give you more real estate to work with.  

Other Screen Considerations

Your best bet will be seeing the screens in person.  If the computer touts an IPS panel (type of display technology), it's likely a very nice looking screen.  Different quality panels will effect color accuracy, viewing angles, etc.

Keyboard and Trackpad

Your keyboard and trackpad can have a deceptively large influence over how much you enjoy using a computer.  I'd recommend going in-store to try some out.  It's one of the most important considerations for me.

Convertible vs. Traditional Laptop

Convertibles offer both a tablet and a laptop experience in one.  I don't have much experience with them and can't comment too in-depth.  The Lenovo Yoga seemed quite nice when I played around with it.  The Microsoft Surface was a cool device, but I would never want to use the keyboard cover on a regular basis.

Size and Form Factor

For similarly priced machines, the size and form factor will involve some tradeoffs.  Bigger machines are generally more powerful, less likely to break, and have poorer battery life.  Smaller machines generally are less powerful (will probably be most notable for you when working with larger data sets) and have better battery life.

Battery Life

More power means less battery life and vice versa.  

Brand (just my impressions/experiences)

Acer- Solid price-performance ratio in my experience, though more geared towards the low-end market

Asus- Great hardware, poor customer support

Dell- Cheap, decent, and the easiest/cheapest to repair or get repaired.  Middle of the road quality.

HP- Avoid.  Their consumer laptops have been downright awful for awhile now.

Lenovo- People generally love the Thinkpad line.  I'd avoid the Ideapad laptops unless you get a great deal.

Samsung- I love their $250 Chromebook, but don't have any experience with their Windows laptops.

Sony- Higher-end models are nice, but the price premium is usually not worthwhile.

Toshiba- Have done well in the reliability surveys I've seen (though the surveys are dated).  In my experience: mediocre build quality, awful glossy keyboards.

First, ultrabook is a marketing term.

That's. . .not really true at all.  And then you go into why it's not quite true.  Ultrabooks (like Netbooks) focus on portability first and foremost, and are targetted to a specific type of user.  If someone needs a desktop replacement (as was mentioned in this thread) an Ultrabook is NOT going to be what they go for.  

They may be "all laptops. . ." (or all computers) but there is enough differentiation to know how to parse the difference between a request for an Ultrabook and for a Laptop.

If you really want to go into the semantics of it, there's no universal definition of what "ultrabook" entails.  Intel has a set of guidelines for what constitutes an "ultrabook" that they change with every refresh of their microarchitecture.  Not all manufacturers adhere to those guidelines when calling their product an "ultrabook."  Further, because Intel's specifications for what's considered an "ultrabook" change from year-to-year, what's called an ultrabook in one generation of models may not be considered an "ultrabook" by Intel's new set of specifications (e.g. Intel's newest specifications require the laptop to have a touchscreen for them to meet Intel's definition of "ultrabook").  You may feel strongly that "ultrabook" is clear enough, but I chose to focus on the different features/components/tradeoffs that I felt were most relevant as I felt there's enough ambiguity in the term- and enough differentiation between products within such classifications- that the simplistic classifications of "ultrabook" and "not an ultrabook" weren't particularly helpful to the OP or anyone else.

I'm not sure how the "ultrabook" monitor isn't considered a marketing term. 

That's. . .not really true at all.  And then you go into why it's not quite true.  Ultrabooks (like Netbooks) focus on portability first and foremost, and are targetted to a specific type of user.  If someone needs a desktop replacement (as was mentioned in this thread) an Ultrabook is NOT going to be what they go for.  

They may be "all laptops. . ." (or all computers) but there is enough differentiation to know how to parse the difference between a request for an Ultrabook and for a Laptop.

I have an ultrabook...its either and Asus or an Acer (lol)

All I can add is that owning one has immensely improved how fast, easy, and light I can pick up my work and move around. I cannot study at home....and sometimes need to walk around to clear my mind and meditate so...I guess I am the target user for this type of work book.

I am looking into buying a new computer in the next few months as well, but I need a bit more of a workhorse computer (also not a mac). I am an engineer, so I need to be able to use CAD programs like solidworks, probably finite elements programs, and Matlab.

I need a i7 processor, and a good graphics card, but I do not know the specs for the graphics card or the hard drive. 

I was thinking of getting a laptop to be portable with a docking station and external monitor at my desk at home. I have heard that Lenovo Thinkpads are a very good option, but I am not sure much beyond that. What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

The Thinkpad W series is the performance workhorse if you don't care about weight and need a dedicated graphics card.  Docking stations are about 300 bucks.

+1. I have the W520 and it would be perfect for what you're describing. Just be aware that you will need to keep it well cooled if you plan on doing heavy duty work with the graphics card. :)