Just have to say.... the GRE scares me.

NavyMom

Sometimes professors will email you a copy of the letter, no need for the university to find out!

If a professor does something in confidence (e.g. gives a copy of a LoR to an applicant) is it prudent to announce that fact on an internet forum-- especially when one puts enough personal information in one's posts, profile, and screen name to figure out who that applicant is?

If a professor does something in confidence (e.g. gives a copy of a LoR to an applicant) is it prudent to announce that fact on an internet forum-- especially when one puts enough personal information in one's posts, profile, and screen name to figure out who that applicant is?

I'm not really here to determine what's prudent for others to do.

Yes... I DO know this.  That is why my professor sent me an original sealed copy in an envelope for my application..  He just decided to email me an unofficial copy for me to read.

Then I would suggest not talking about it on GradCafé where you have a picture and a pretty good description of who you are. Given that you sign off on an application saying that you swear to have made all of the statements to your best knowledge blah...

Just saying. People, this is the normal Internet. It is not anonymous.

Edit: Just read Sigaba's post and fully agree...

Edited by Duna

Then I would suggest not talking about it on GradCafé where you have a picture and a pretty good description of who you are. Given that you sign off on an application saying that you swear to have made all of the statements to your best knowledge blah...

Just saying. People, this is the normal Internet. It is not anonymous.

Edit: Just read Sigaba's post and fully agree...

Thanks for the response and your concern and perhaps I will limit my information on my page, but honestly I was not looking for an opinion regarding your thoughts on LoRs.  This thread is regarding the GRE test.  And besides, my professor has never met me in person so he would not know what I look like.

Thanks for the response and your concern and perhaps I will limit my information on my page, but honestly I was not looking for an opinion regarding your thoughts on LoRs.  This thread is regarding the GRE test.  And besides, my professor has never met me in person so he would not know what I look like.

You are the one who changed the topic of this thread from the GRE test to LORs. If you don't want people to pick up what you put down then you stay on topic.

In any case, you can change your screen name and can change your avatar and you can scrub your profile and you can down vote comments all you like. (And if you're this thin skinned, graduate school may not be the place for you after all.)

However, none of your belated efforts at PERSEC are going to change the central fact that you've exercised profoundly poor judgement by betraying a professor's confidence, especially after you've broadcast your identity in a public forum frequented by academics.

(You do know that your profile shows your previous user name.)

You are the one who changed the topic of this thread from the GRE test to LORs. If you don't want people to pick up what you put down then you stay on topic.

In any case, you can change your screen name and can change your avatar and you can scrub your profile and you can down vote comments all you like. (And if you're this thin skinned, graduate school may not be the place for you after all.)

However, none of your belated efforts at PERSEC are going to change the central fact that you've exercised profoundly poor judgement by betraying a professor's confidence, especially after you've broadcast your identity in a public forum frequented by academics.

(You do know that your profile shows your previous user name.)

Bullshit! I've seen people who are racists get into Ph.D programs. I've seen people who believe luxury sports cars cost about $1,000 to make get admitted into Ph.D programs. I've seen people whose whole career was based on sucking up to their PI, rather than any hard work get, into Ph.D programs.Shitheads can get admitted into Ph.D programs as well. It was a mistake. Learn from it and grow.

• 2 weeks later...