MPA 2014 Applicants

Are you getting ready to apply? 

The application date is October 1st for the CSU family of schools in California.

So far I have 3 schools I am considering:

Sacramento State

CSU Northridge (online program)

University of Southern California (online program)

I will be applying to five schools:

1.Michigan Ford MPP (Dual with MUP)

2. Washington Evans MPA (MAYBE dual with MUP, need more info)

3. Wisconsin La Follette MPA (Dual MUP)

4. USC Price MPP ( Dual w/whatever they call their city planning degree)

5. Maryland MPA*

*I am interning here in College Park and the PPIA is having a grad school fair on Friday in DC. my fifth slot could change with the fair, but the top four are cemented

I will be applying to five schools:

1.Michigan Ford MPP (Dual with MUP)

2. Washington Evans MPA (MAYBE dual with MUP, need more info)

3. Wisconsin La Follette MPA (Dual MUP)

4. USC Price MPP ( Dual w/whatever they call their city planning degree)

5. Maryland MPA*

*I am interning here in College Park and the PPIA is having a grad school fair on Friday in DC. my fifth slot could change with the fair, but the top four are cemented

Very Nice!  When does your application deadline start?

Hi! fellow 2014 applicant here! This will be my second shot at getting in somewhere. I am looking at UT's LBJ School, plus two other smaller and more regional schools (UT San Antonio and UT Dallas) as safeties. I am unsure on a fourth choice, but am (at this stage) leaning towards Syracuse's Maxwell school. All the application deadlines are in January and February (as well as next June for the regional programs...wow!) but I would like to get everything out of the way. I am both going to begin asking for recommendations and signing up for the GRE next month.

Hi! fellow 2014 applicant here! This will be my second shot at getting in somewhere. I am looking at UT's LBJ School, plus two other smaller and more regional schools (UT San Antonio and UT Dallas) as safeties. I am unsure on a fourth choice, but am (at this stage) leaning towards Syracuse's Maxwell school. All the application deadlines are in January and February (as well as next June for the regional programs...wow!) but I would like to get everything out of the way. I am both going to begin asking for recommendations and signing up for the GRE next month.

Welcome and Good luck!!

The application period for me (for all schools) is Oct. 1s through Dec. 1st, to be considered for priority admission...  I am hoping to get it all done very soon.

I realized after pushing back my GREs a couple times that I actually need to study.  Taking it August 31st and studying as much as possible before then.  Planning on applying to:

SAIS

Georgetown SFS and probably GPPI

SIPA

Trachtenberg

UTexas LBJ

Michigan Ford

Indiana MPP

Have 5 years Navy experience (enlisted, not officer, which I'm worried might hurt a bit) including a year in Djibouti with a really awesome/relevant sounding job title.  I'll have great LoRs from some really good people professionally.  Academic LoRs I'm a little worried about.  I haven't really talked to any of my old profs for quite a while.  I'm guessing the academic LoRs will be pretty generic/cookie cutter which is a bit worrying.  3.88 in econ and poli sci from a lower Big 10 university.  My verbal is consistently in the mid 160s, but my quant is lagging significantly.  I'm not too worried about it as I always did really well in math through HS and college, but I definitely need to get the rust off.  It's tough getting back after just sitting around pushing papers for 5 years, doing no math higher than basic arithmetic, and doing pretty much nothing mentally taxing :/

I realized after pushing back my GREs a couple times that I actually need to study.  Taking it August 31st and studying as much as possible before then.  Planning on applying to:

SAIS

Georgetown SFS and probably GPPI

SIPA

Trachtenberg

UTexas LBJ

Michigan Ford

Indiana MPP

Have 5 years Navy experience (enlisted, not officer, which I'm worried might hurt a bit) including a year in Djibouti with a really awesome/relevant sounding job title.  I'll have great LoRs from some really good people professionally.  Academic LoRs I'm a little worried about.  I haven't really talked to any of my old profs for quite a while.  I'm guessing the academic LoRs will be pretty generic/cookie cutter which is a bit worrying.  3.88 in econ and poli sci from a lower Big 10 university.  My verbal is consistently in the mid 160s, but my quant is lagging significantly.  I'm not too worried about it as I always did really well in math through HS and college, but I definitely need to get the rust off.  It's tough getting back after just sitting around pushing papers for 5 years, doing no math higher than basic arithmetic, and doing pretty much nothing mentally taxing :/

JCT,

I'm also navy enlisted with similar profile as you. 3.9 from mid-level school, low 160s gre's (only 4.0 written though). I'm sure if you can get one decent academic rec youll be in good shape. I went through this last year, and my enlisted experience for sure got me into SIPA and HKS where I was pretty borderline. I'm sure you'll get into most, if not all of those schools. Good luck with the GREs

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

I'm currently a PCV hoping to join a MPP program for the Fall of 2014.

I'm looking at programs with strong international concentrations and ties to the DC community.

Currently, I plan on applying to:  Georgetown, Duke, Uni. Maryland College Park, and American.

For me, the biggest challenge of this process has been the GRE.  I know it's just a piece of the application puzzle, but I feel like if I could get a handle of on it than I would feel more comfortable applying to these schools.  

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Hollaywood,

Not yet. But they said they would tell us this week, right?

I'm not sure. The only thing I've seen on their website said the end of February. But in previous years they've sent notifications in the second week of February so I've been frantically checking for the past week. Where did you see they'd tell us this week?

I'm not sure. The only thing I've seen on their website said the end of February. But in previous years they've sent notifications in the second week of February so I've been frantically checking for the past week. Where did you see they'd tell us this week?

oh sorry, i thought it was a common mail that was sent out to everyone. I had asked Jennifer from admissions about it last week and she said they'll start telling people this week. Anytime now, guys! 

Btw, where else have you applied?

oh sorry, i thought it was a common mail that was sent out to everyone. I had asked Jennifer from admissions about it last week and she said they'll start telling people this week. Anytime now, guys!

Btw, where else have you applied?

I applied exclusively at UW-Madison.

Where else did you apply?

I also applied to La Follette. Checking both my email and the website twice a day is driving me crazy. My status on the website says pending. I almost begin to believe that I'm wait-listed. :unsure:

I hear you. I've been checking everything several times a day. I'm not sure how to expect notification, either. I've heard email, but they've done it via mail or just website, too.