I have RA experience but no publications. Is that a Kiss of Death?

abrayto1

Hello,

I am thinking of applying to Social/ Personality or Developmental grad programs this fall and I am concerned that my experience is scattered. I am  also worried about the fact that I don't have any real publications. I have also been out of school for 2 years working at my University in their Career Center. Do I even stand a chance or will my other qualifications help me?  

My Qualifications:

• GPA: 3.94-graduated Magna Cum Laude
  • GRE: 315, 153Q, 162V, and a 4 for the writing
  • Worked as a Camp Cousnelor for a Summer Treatment progam
  • Did field work with a Clinical Professor that was similar to the camp- Social skills training for kids with ADHD, Autism, etc.
  • I have 3 years working in an agression lab but my name did not make it onto publications
  • I also did my Honors Senior Thesis on CBT as a treatment for Social Phobia

My main interests lie in Self-esteem and Narcissm. I am also interested in how these two issues play out in emerging adulthood, especially in correlation to hovering parents.

You don't need publications to get accepted. A large proportion of admitted students only have research, but no publications, so don't worry about that. I think your qualifications look good. Make sure to get good letters of recommendation and write a good SOP, as well. Good luck!

Agree with previous posters. Your experience will help and your lack of publication record won't hurt. I'd like to add: Retake the GRE! You will need better than above -average scores to be competitive, especially in clinical programs. Study like it's your job and retest.

Hello,

I am thinking of applying to Social/ Personality or Developmental grad programs this fall and I am concerned that my experience is scattered. I am  also worried about the fact that I don't have any real publications. I have also been out of school for 2 years working at my University in their Career Center. Do I even stand a chance or will my other qualifications help me?  

My Qualifications:

• GPA: 3.94-graduated Magna Cum Laude
  • GRE: 315, 153Q, 162V, and a 4 for the writing
  • Worked as a Camp Cousnelor for a Summer Treatment progam
  • Did field work with a Clinical Professor that was similar to the camp- Social skills training for kids with ADHD, Autism, etc.
  • I have 3 years working in an agression lab but my name did not make it onto publications
  • I also did my Honors Senior Thesis on CBT as a treatment for Social Phobia

My main interests lie in Self-esteem and Narcissm. I am also interested in how these two issues play out in emerging adulthood, especially in correlation to hovering parents.

Research experience is better than nothing. Pubs certainly help, but aren't required. I would retake the GRE, though.

I feel like not having publications used to be the norm--however, almost everyone I know who has gotten admitted into grad school recently (psych programs: social and clinical PhD) has had manuscript(s) in progress or already published.

I feel like not having publications used to be the norm--however, almost everyone I know who has gotten admitted into grad school recently (psych programs: social and clinical PhD) has had manuscript(s) in progress or already published.

I had a manuscript submitted and didn't get into a clinical program. I know someone with not even a manuscript in prep that got into a top social program with his dream mentor. Pubs are not the end all be all.