Choosing the best US cell phone carrier

Hi there! My adventure as a grad student in the States is coming in a couple of weeks, and I'm starting thinking about all the thing I will need to take care of the minute I will land there.

So, my question is: which phone carrier to choose? Since I'd like to wait for the new iPhone (reportedly coming out in September/October), I think that it's worth getting by with my current phone for the first time and thus buy a US sim card. In this situation, which carrier should I choose? I thought of T-Mobile, but unfortunately it's covered in the campus area, but not in my intended area od living.

When the time of grabbing a new phone will finally come, which carrier do you recommend, all things considered?

Thank you a lot!

Google the following companies: Tracfone, Virgin Mobile, AT&T pay as you go. Also "pre paid phones", or "pay as you go phones"

That will get you started. I know Walmart has entire displays with multiple brands.

I had tracfone as an emergency cell when bicycling. It was very easy:simply buy cards at Walmart or similar store -even gas stations - and enter the codes into the phone to use them. However I don't know how capable they are regarding data. I had mine back in 2006ish, and only needed the ability to make a ten-minute phone call. I don't know where their tech stands today, but I would look into them.

You might be able to make it work with Metro PCS. I like it because I I have unlimited calls, unlimited texts, unlimited internet and data, and unlimited international calls and texts for $60 a month, and I don't have a contract. You'd just need to take your iphone and have Metro PCS give you one of their SIM cards.

I think this is an useful plan specially if you have family outside of the U.S

Just a tip -- check with your school to see if they have a discount with any providers. I am getting 15% off my monthly plan plus no activation fees from T-Mobile because of my school. I know that my school also has directly partnered up with other providers as well.

Bringing over an unlocked ATT, VERIZON etc. phone to Metro is currently limited to a few select cities.  If you happen to live in one of the seven - I would say go with Metro if TMobile doesn't have service in your area.  My suggestion, grab a Nexus 4 (from Google) and go with their 40 dollar plan.

Any carrier that allows you to bring in your own phone.  I have TMobile (30 bucks for 100 minutes, unlimited text and 5GB of data - far more than you will ever need), but there may be a carrier in your area that "rents" space off ATT/Verizon towers that offers competitive data/talk plans.

All things and offers considered, I think that the best solution for me would be to grab a SIM card by T-Mobile with your offer of 30 $, and then wait for iPhone 5S.

By the way, is there any offer that allows you to pay only for data? Since I'll be newbie in the States, I don't think that unlimited calls will be useful for me, and unlimited messages are useless with Whatsapp/Facebook Messenger.

Any carrier that allows you to bring in your own phone.  I have TMobile (30 bucks for 100 minutes, unlimited text and 5GB of data - far more than you will ever need), but there may be a carrier in your area that "rents" space off ATT/Verizon towers that offers competitive data/talk plans.

Do you know if the $10 international add-on is valid with that one?  I currently have the $50 unlimited plan with $10 international add-on but I hardly make any US calls.  

Hey!

If you already have a phone you might want to check out Ultra or Pageplus. They are MVNO using verizon or t-mobile networks and are a lot cheaper than "traditional" providers.

I had a look at Ultra.  I'd be looking at the $39-49 plans.  What is your experience with them?  

Just a tip -- check with your school to see if they have a discount with any providers. I am getting 15% off my monthly plan plus no activation fees from T-Mobile because of my school. I know that my school also has directly partnered up with other providers as well.

You might also want to wait until you get to your school and ask around about the network service in the areas where you'll be spending most of your time (e.g. your apartment, your department, your favorite library). 

The best service nationally may not have the most reliable local coverage.

I had a look at Ultra.  I'd be looking at the $39-49 plans.  What is your experience with them?  

I don't have any yet nut I'm planning to order a sim card from them this week. I'll let you know! Anyway since this is a no-contract plan, the worth thing that can happen is "losing" one month payment!