Canadian MPA/MPP programs

Hi All,

I'm currently finishing a Carleton U undergraduate degree in Political Science (focusing on Public Affairs) and am looking into grad MPA/MPP programs.

Much of this board seems focused on US programs but I was thinking that I would ask if anyone has opinions or experience with Canadian programs.

What do you think?

• Which are best?
  • What are the advantages and disadvantages of each program?
  • If you were accepted, what is your background and how do you like it?

Thanks

-K

I would focus on applying to programs that interest you and ones that you are qualified for. At the moment, you don't know how competitive you are against the other candidates as there is no way of knowing who will be applying this time around.

After you get your offers, try to find out which program is best. It will be much easier to choose when you have a shorter list to work with. I also find it can reduce your disappointment  if you get any rejections (as most people get one rejection or more) if you only rank the schools that give you an offer.

I would focus on applying to programs that interest you and ones that you are qualified for. At the moment, you don't know how competitive you are against the other candidates as there is no way of knowing who will be applying this time around.

After you get your offers, try to find out which program is best. It will be much easier to choose when you have a shorter list to work with. I also find it can reduce your disappointment  if you get any rejections (as most people get one rejection or more) if you only rank the schools that give you an offer.

This is very good advice. Maybe I should have provided additional information about my qualifications. I have a 3.9+ GPA, 6 years of political expericence and very good references ... so I'm in the range that with good GRE scores I would be probably be competitive for top US schools.

But I wasn't necessarily thinking of this as a "Am I competitive?" post (I've been browsing enough of those to have a strong sense) ... I was hoping this could be a discussion on the relative merits of the various Canadian programs and experiences.

Thanks, those were interesting readings on the differences between the programs.

Any idea of a ranking?

I've been told that Carleton, Dal and Queens are considered the best but haven't been able to have that confirmed in any way ...

It may be helpful to approach your search by answering these questions:

1) What type of job do you want after the program ends?

2) Are the alumni from these programs pursuing career paths that you are interested in?

3) Where do you want to work?

Thanks for kickstarting this thread everyone. I have a 3.3 GPA (3.4 last 2 years) and like CarletonU am looking at MPA/MPP Programs. I've been doing some research and it seems like.

NPSIA- Probably the most difficult program to get into, but the best in terms of one's career prospects with DFAIT

GPSIA- New program (2007), understandably not as prestigious as NPSIA, easier to get into (read someone with a 3.2 on these forums was admitted) However I can't seem to find any reports/information on what post-grad has been like compared to NPSIA

Munk- Requires a GRE score, I've heard that its more of an academic program, which might be a good idea if you have any plans to do a PHD

Balsille School of Global Governance-  Like Munk, supposed to be more Academic

Laurier- Masters of International Public Policy- Haven't heard much about this program, emailed the department and never recieved a response

I have looked into Public Admin/Policy programs, but I am more interested in an international focus/career. Anyone care to share what they know about these programs?

Thanks, those were interesting readings on the differences between the programs.

Any idea of a ranking?

I've been told that Carleton, Dal and Queens are considered the best but haven't been able to have that confirmed in any way ...

When I was applying in the last cycle, I was told that the MPP program at U of T was not mature enough (i.e. the school was still figuring out how best to structure the program). I was also told that Carleton was relatively more connected with the federal government, Queen's with Government of Ontario, and Ryerson with City of Toronto. So, in addition to school rankings, it might also be helpful to think about which policy areas or jurisdictions that you would like to work for. For example, if you are interested in social policy, which falls mostly in provincial jurisdiction, you probably wouldn't want to work in Government of Canada, in which case Carleton would be less appealing than Queen's, and vice versa.

• 6 months later...

I'm also looking for advice regarding the strength of MPA/MPP programs in Canada. I am currently living in Ottawa and am hoping to stay in town to capitalize down the road on the professional relationships I have made in the city already (have been working for two years post graduating with my BAH from Queens in 2012).

I have been accepted to the MA of International and Public Affairs and UOttawa and the MPA at Carleton with a VERY nice funding package. However, still waiting to hear from Queens, UofT, and Ryerson. Does anyone have any advice insofar as rankings of these programs?There doesnt seem to be much out there...

Anyone have an opinion about UOttawa's MA in Public Administration? I've seen a lot about the GPSIA program but nothing about the public administration program. I was offered a very generous funding package but I am not sure about the quality of the program, job prospects, etc. 

Anyone have an opinion about UOttawa's MA in Public Administration? I've seen a lot about the GPSIA program but nothing about the public administration program. I was offered a very generous funding package but I am not sure about the quality of the program, job prospects, etc. 

I have recently also been accepted to the Queens MPA, with no words on funding however. Would anyone know anything about a comparison of these 2 programs? Which one would be best/what are their strengths and weaknesses?