MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

Oh and last night I told my boyfriend I was passing on Cranbrook (not sure about how interdisciplinary it is) and then I got a mysterious call from that area code. Coincidence? Hmmm.

Are there any current UW-Madison MFA students reading this forum? If so, do you have any thoughts about school culture, funding availability, and program structure? I won't get to visit until the end of March, so I'd appreciate any info people have to offer.

Are there any current UW-Madison MFA students reading this forum? If so, do you have any thoughts about school culture, funding availability, and program structure? I won't get to visit until the end of March, so I'd appreciate any info people have to offer.

I'm not, but I read recently that UW-Madison has the #2 rated Printmaking department. Would seem the place to be for a Printmaking grad.

Good luck!

That's funny, though -- based on my research, I was pretty sure Davis didn't do interviews. I wonder if that's changed across the board. Anyhow, I'll wait a few more days before crossing them off my list. And meanwhile, Glasgow School of Art just contacted me for an interview this Thursday. (25 minutes, phone.) So soon! Their application deadline hasn't even passed yet.

I don't know about previous years, but when I met with someone to talk about their program, they definitely mentioned it. I feel like they had some new blood come into the dept so maybe things changed? Most of the few schools I talked to mentioned interviews, so I'm just assuming they all do.

It's not looking good for Berkeley. If I don't hear by the beginning of next week, I'm gonna start mentally letting go of the idea so as to not be stringing myself along for the next month...

Ashamed to say, but was going to not apply to Yale since acceptance rate is so low it feels almost like the statistical equivalent of a Pick 5, and since rejection is tough for me why put myself in this position but I just threw up my hands and said what the heck and applied thinking that's precisely a reason not to feel bad about getting a rejection. Now that they're about to notify I'm all- ack! I hope they like me, I really hope they like me. Lame!

I wish all schools would let you know at once! So much is hanging in the balance ......

I think it is great that you applied anyway. I think most of us are similarly conflicted (to varying degrees) and have some mental version of "there is no way they'll pick me" accompanied by "I hope they like me." Not so lame. We'll all get through this ok...that's a big part of why I am on this forum.

ismewilde: I was thinking about Skowhegan, but decided against it, for this year, because of the time commitment.

I think it is great that you applied anyway. I think most of us are similarly conflicted (to varying degrees) and have some mental version of "there is no way they'll pick me" accompanied by "I hope they like me." Not so lame. We'll all get through this ok...that's a big part of why I am on this forum.

ismewilde: I was thinking about Skowhegan, but decided against it, for this year, because of the time commitment.

That is my concern as well. I have family commitments and two dogs. Not sure any of us could handle the 9 weeks away from each other. That and it would probably be best if I "work" as much as possible to be able to afford to move if I get accepted to grad school and can go

Oh and last night I told my boyfriend I was passing on Cranbrook (not sure about how interdisciplinary it is) and then I got a mysterious call from that area code. Coincidence? Hmmm.

What department were you thinking of applying to at Cranbrook? Some of the departments are pretty insular, but others are pretty open to students doing whatever they feel like doing. For instance in print media, there are a few of us that do very little to no printmaking. It was actually a big deal when everyone did print-related things for a crit.

There's also an elective system, where you can take part in crits in another department, and get studio visits with their artists-in-residence, etc.

Hi,

I am currently a second yea MFA @ UW and searching the forum forum for possible UW students.... The structure at UW is very conceptual. Even the "crafts based programs such wood ceramics and metals are geared towards concept. They boast a interdisciplinary approach but you still have to jump through hoops to gain access th all the shops. Funding is great.  A lot of TA, PA and TASS. MOving here from Philly I must say I miss the access to NY and othe "cultural" big museums. But Chicago, Milwaukee and Minneapolis are day trips. Professors are legit. let me know if you have specific questions. Printmaking is stellar, those kids rock.

-b

What department were you thinking of applying to at Cranbrook? Some of the departments are pretty insular, but others are pretty open to students doing whatever they feel like doing. For instance in print media, there are a few of us that do very little to no printmaking. It was actually a big deal when everyone did print-related things for a crit.

There's also an elective system, where you can take part in crits in another department, and get studio visits with their artists-in-residence, etc.

I guess it would have to be sculpture. My undergrad major will be in sculpture, but I am doing a lot of time-based work with video and sound as well as those that rely on interactivity with the viewer/public. Performance is also an element.

I meant sculpture if it were at Cranbrook. I really need access to faculty/grads/doctoral students with coding and advanced technological knowledge for me to be able to proceed in the direction my work is going. Currently I have little access to such departments and I have to do a lot of research on my own. Not that I mind that, but my work would develop much more quickly with such access.

I'm not unemployed! Yay! It wasn't as exciting in the aftermath as it is during the fire.

"The flames then spread to the exterior of the main building, specifically a rear overhang, but apparently did not burn anything inside."

But this gave me time, working from home, to plan out a cheaper way for flights. It is much cheaper to fly into Portland and take a bus down to Eugene than to fly directly to Eugene. By half. I wish I knew if I was accepted before I plunked down more money traveling.  :unsure:

Can anyone in this forum speak about Yale painting? I remember seeing some articles about that program losing some of its prestige but it's been on my list for a long while (half because of the mythology, half because of the possibility of funding). I'm almost certain I would qualify for finaid as I've lived well below poverty for most of my days which, judging by their site, is the only factor in determining funding. 

Is the school still carrying the weight of yore? Who are some artists of note to have come from there in recent times? 

Just finished my phone interview with Glasgow School of Art. Ooof. Not that they asked anything exceptionally tricky or unusual -- I just alternately freeze up and talk myself into a corner in these sorts of situations.

Questions: Pick a piece in your portfolio and tell us what you were thinking about when you made it. Can you expand upon x thing in your statement. Which thinkers/writers/artists influence you. Why this program. (When I mentioned I'd looked at & enjoyed recent student work, they asked if I meant anyone in particular. I couldn't remember specific names.) Any questions for us.

Just finished my phone interview with Glasgow School of Art. Ooof. Not that they asked anything exceptionally tricky or unusual -- I just alternately freeze up and talk myself into a corner in these sorts of situations.

Questions: Pick a piece in your portfolio and tell us what you were thinking about when you made it. Can you expand upon x thing in your statement. Which thinkers/writers/artists influence you. Why this program. (When I mentioned I'd looked at & enjoyed recent student work, they asked if I meant anyone in particular. I couldn't remember specific names.) Any questions for us.

That is what I am most concerned about happening in an interview situation. That I will completely blank out and be all "Lamp, I love lamp"

Just got a lovely rejection letter from SCAD Savannah. This bodes well as this one was a fallback.

I love how between the lines it was a slap to the face. Subtly saying one can qualify for the BFA with their portfolio is just kinda mean.

Just got a lovely rejection letter from SCAD Savannah. This bodes well as this one was a fallback.

I love how between the lines it was a slap to the face. Subtly saying one can qualify for the BFA with their portfolio is just kinda mean.

That's brutal.

I'm really sorry. *hugz*

Back in the day when I was going for theatrical design (and got into a few places with funding after this story, mind you) I had an interview at a portfolio showing with a few different schools. Thing called URTA. I had been given the wrong return time, and was "late" (through no fault of my own) for some of my scheduled interviews with schools who expressed interest based on my portfolio.

Well, the URTA people went to bat for me, fessed up they screwed up, and got some of the schools I missed to make time for me. One guy came back and said..

"You present yourself well, but.. having time to reflect and look more closely.. since you weren't here and I was all alone and so bored.. I've decided you're not nearly as good as I thought you were and I'm not interested anymore. Oh, and there's a typo in your SOP. See? Here. If I didn't have the time to sit here and wait for you, I'd have never noticed and you'd have been my top pick. The industry is tough kid, be on time."

Then he got up and left.

So.. there's lot of art world a-holes :P Don't feel too bad, you just ran into one.

Edited by Loric

I meant sculpture if it were at Cranbrook. I really need access to faculty/grads/doctoral students with coding and advanced technological knowledge for me to be able to proceed in the direction my work is going. Currently I have little access to such departments and I have to do a lot of research on my own. Not that I mind that, but my work would develop much more quickly with such access.

Yeah, if you do tech art, Cranbrook probably isn't the best place. I don't think really anyone is doing coding. There are a few seminars where they teach students rhino or Arduino, but it's pretty introductory-level stuff that we're expected to build off of on our own. That's one of the things I really want Cranbrook to improve on as a student, because I'd love more of those types of resources myself.

They have a 3d printer, a laser cutter, a CNC, and a plasma cutter, but it's sort of like "there's the tools, have at it."

Edited by herki

Also, congratulations on the interview! It may have went better than you thought.

I had a professor that went to Cranbrook for sculpture in order to make kinetic sculpture and he loved it. He learned a lot about programming (he works almost exclusively with the arduino) and used their other high tech tools (such as laser cutter, 3d printer, etc) to design and cut his own gears and other mechanical parts. I know that the faculty of Cranbrook changes frequently, and I know that he went to study under a specific person that he had researched before hand, so I don't know if this story is very applicable to you, but he did really enjoy going there and, for what it's worth, is an amazing artist that is doing quite well at the moment. 

Sorry to hear that meece. I don't think it is so unusual for people to be turned down by their fallback, only to get in some where else. Time will tell!

Thanks marzipanned for letting us know how things went for your interview. I guess...chalk that up to experience? As a general rule, interviews are awkward all around and anyone who comes away feeling satisfied, is pretty lucky.

I had a professor that went to Cranbrook for sculpture in order to make kinetic sculpture and he loved it. He learned a lot about programming (he works almost exclusively with the arduino) and used their other high tech tools (such as laser cutter, 3d printer, etc) to design and cut his own gears and other mechanical parts. I know that the faculty of Cranbrook changes frequently, and I know that he went to study under a specific person that he had researched before hand, so I don't know if this story is very applicable to you, but he did really enjoy going there and, for what it's worth, is an amazing artist that is doing quite well at the moment. 

would you mind sharing the name of your professor? i have been focusing on kinetic sculpture for the past two years and am always interested in finding other kinetic artists. Thanks

I'm not unemployed! Yay! It wasn't as exciting in the aftermath as it is during the fire.

"The flames then spread to the exterior of the main building, specifically a rear overhang, but apparently did not burn anything inside."

But this gave me time, working from home, to plan out a cheaper way for flights. It is much cheaper to fly into Portland and take a bus down to Eugene than to fly directly to Eugene. By half. I wish I knew if I was accepted before I plunked down more money traveling.  :unsure:

I am in the same boat!  I want to go to the open house at Oregon but I live all the way in Massachusetts.  Why can't they have the open house afterwards!  I am not sure if it is worth it..I am still thinking about it though.