MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

Hey BLR, fellow Michiganian here :-) My feelings towards the motherland vary on a day-to-day basis, but I think Detroit has a lot to offer artists and entrepreneurs right now. We've got problems, for sure, but the cost of living is low and the art scene is wide open for experimentation. No set style predominates, and I've found the artistic community to be pretty inclusive. In times of crisis, opportunities for change and innovation have a chance to flourish. "Barn's burnt down- now I can see the moon."- Japanese poet Masahide, as quoted by John Gallagher in "Reimagining Detroit".

At the same time, I totally understand your desire to get away. I wish there were more galleries here featuring contemporary art, more public support for the arts in the form of grants, and a larger base of wealthy art patrons. $$ Not to mention the debacle that is ArtPrize (aka DragonPrize). But enough about America's high-five… haha

Anyway, like you, I chose my prospective schools on the basis of location, faculty, alumni work, and numbers (acceptance rates, tuition, etc). One former professor of mine recommended the CAA directory and it became a very helpful resource in my final selection. Peterson's guide was good too. I ended up applying to one school in Michigan (WSU in Detroit, my fav city) and a few others all over the country. I think it was a logical strategy, time will tell! I wish you the best of luck. Just curious, did you do your undergraduate studies here in MI? 

Hi there EDay27,

All good points. I live in northern lower Michigan, although I have lived in Brighton in years past, originally growing up in Indiana. I don't *hate* Michigan per se, but I'm itching to get out of the touristy area I live in and have my children experience larger cities with more to offer outside of Michigan. As a family of five, we've made a big decision to relocate across the country based on the school that offers me the best funding package (and acceptance of course). 

Had to chuckle on your ArtPrize mention... lol I think ArtPrize is a great thing for our state and for residing artists.... but yeah. 

In regards to Michigan colleges/universities. I was considering EMU, UM and MSU at varying times during my grad school research. UM just turned me off in regards to program offerings so they got crossed off the list. I reached out to EMU & MSU before app season (in Oct / Nov) and was a bit disappointed with the communication (or lack there of). A prof from EMU spelled my name wrong and seemed reluctant to meet up so I could tour the facilities. Never heard from MSU. I wouldn't have even considered State, but a good friend of mine graduated with her Bachelors in Graphic Design and talked the program up. Oh well.

I did not receive my undergrad from an instate school. Actually, I'm a mid-thirties professional that decided to go back to school after going to school originally for Computer Science/Networking. Due to having a family and professional career, I opted for an online program and will graduate with my BFA in Vis Comm (specialization in Web Design) this April from American InterContinental University.

Whether attending an online school that isn't well known for the arts will hurt my chances getting into a grad school or not doesn't have me worried. Either they will like my portfolio or not, will appreciate my 3.9 GPA and relevant professional experience or they won't. I think being older and a bit wiser in some regards (compared to how I was when I was 21) makes me realize some of the little things peeps worry about in regards to grad school doesn't matter at all. Either you're a fit or you aren't. And, that being said, Michigan schools weren't a fit for me unfortunately, so I took the chance on the possibility of a big time move. 

Forgot to mention, the CAA directory was invaluable in my research, as well was Peterson's. All full of a wealth of knowledge. Even better than that, was just straight up asking profs for stats. I even emailed graduates of the programs I was interested in, and found them on LinkedIn. Got some great and helpful replies. The profs that responded told me straight up their stats for various programs. UCF has all of that listed right on their website! 

What program are you apply to at WSU? What's your field?

Got a call from Davis today!!! I am official in! I guess they really meant it when they said "soon."

I think I'd be totally happy to go there but because of finances I will wait to see what else happens and what the package is like. I'm not looking forward to the commute but the school that wants you suddenly starts to look a lot better than the schools that don't.... :) I think would go rather than wait to apply again next year to more places. No more waiting, asking people for recs, distilling your life into a nugget...!

Got a call from Davis today!!! I am official in! I guess they really meant it when they said "soon."

I think I'd be totally happy to go there but because of finances I will wait to see what else happens and what the package is like. I'm not looking forward to the commute but the school that wants you suddenly starts to look a lot better than the schools that don't.... :) I think would go rather than wait to apply again next year to more places. No more waiting, asking people for recs, distilling your life into a nugget...!

Great news! I hope they offer you a great package! 

I see that some people have started to list their results in the "submit results" at the top of the page. If we all remember to do this, there will be good, easy to find info for the next round of applicants.

I hope to hear something back from Tennessee tomorrow. It's been one week since the interview and tomorrow is when they said I would hear back from them. Also, I checked the status of my application online and it says that a decision has been made. Has anyone else seen their online status change but not been contacted directly? 

Also, not everyone who gets accepted to UCLA gets a phone call...their official stance is that they don't interview but sometimes they give you a call.

What program area did you apply to FAR?

Interdisciplinary studio

Ok, entered results. I did a couple of searches and looks like notification times for the same program can vary each year - do schools usually do a version of rolling admissions where they accept stronger candidates earlier, then keep debating the rest? Or can we assume they make all the notifications in a batch?

It sure looks like we're heading into the heart of notification season. I just hope I don't get rejected on.my birthday!

Going to be visiting the campus during my other department's decisions are sent out, at least according to the search results from prior years. Maybe they will take pity on me traveling so far and not reject me while I am out there. 

Needless anxieties, I am just going to go back to refreshing my email every 10 minutes.

So far, the friendliest and most personal emails (though I know that are sent to all applicants) that I have received have been from Mills. I know it doesn't mean anything, but they are nice to receive anyway. 

I seemed to have valley-ed in the "despair" low of the emotional roller coaster today. 

Blah. I know this feeling will pass, it has before, but it just seems very hopeless right now.

Today I found myself rethinking applying and putting myself out there to be judged. I hate days like this. Just wish I could fast forward to decision time.

Today I found myself rethinking applying and putting myself out there to be judged. I hate days like this. Just wish I could fast forward to decision time.

I feel like every day I'm lurching toward the inevitable "timelock." Strangely enough, my timelock forces an optionlock.

None of this probably makes any sense unless you're familiar with Dramatica theory though, so here's a link that might be worth reading:

http://dramaticapedia.com/2010/03/07/story-limit-timelock-or-optionlock/

I think this whole process is actually really helpful- and if nothing comes of it this time, I will be better prepared the next go around. But, I understand what you mean. Its difficult to wait and sometimes the thoughts go to: what if I get rejected all around? The answer: enjoy the break and make your application stronger.

I know that I will still be a working artist (even if not paid), just not within academia- so it won't kill me. I think that is the best way to look at it. There are alternatives out there- even internships, etc.- no matter what your field.

Well, MICA is reviewing my portfolio now. So I should hear back soonish.

I've entered the valley of 'despair' and 'desperation' on that coaster all in one go.

I really need to start a new photography series, but I just have no time. That and winter doesn't agree with me. The outdoors is something I particularly rely on, but the places I go are becoming either dangerous to traverse or too popular. That and the cedar waxwings. Poop everywhere man.

Urgh, February is gonna be fun. Not to mention that the regional manager came in today and she doesn't like me at all. We will see if I still have my job at the end of the week

I think this whole process is actually really helpful- and if nothing comes of it this time, I will be better prepared the next go around. But, I understand what you mean. Its difficult to wait and sometimes the thoughts go to: what if I get rejected all around? The answer: enjoy the break and make your application stronger.

I know that I will still be a working artist (even if not paid), just not within academia- so it won't kill me. I think that is the best way to look at it. There are alternatives out there- even internships, etc.- no matter what your field.

I agree and love the positive message. I already have an excellent paying job in corporate America, which I could sludge through for another year if I had to, but I'm really anxious to move forward on my education now that I've made up my mind. The waiting... Well sucks, lol.