Is applying to two programs at the same school frowned upon?

persimmony

I'm looking at Duke University's PhD programs, particularly the Cell and Molecular Biology, as well as the Developmental and Stem Cell Biology. It appears they are umbrella-like programs, wherein a more specific PhD is awarded. I've been working in a stem cell lab the past year and would like to pursue it further into my graduate school studies. Most of the other schools I'm applying to don't have a stem cell program, and I'm not really sure I would want such a specific PhD anyway so I'm applying to Molecular&Cell bio programs. 

My question is, if I'm highlighting my stem cell research in my SoP and CV, would it be strange not to apply to their Dev and Stem cell program in favor of the CMB? I could apply to both but I heard that's frowned upon?

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same question as Persimmony. I am afraid that if I apply to two departments at the same school  (say biology department and then the Ecology department) that professors who may be involved with both programs may question why I am so indecisive. If both admissions committees find out that I applied to both, then they may not like that I dont known fo sure what I want to do.

I don't see why it would be a problem. In my case, I am applying to two at UCSD (biomedical and biology) and they must be okay with it, since once you pay for one app you can submit up to 2 more free. Two years ago when I applied to Neuroscience at UCSD, the app actually said "we recommend you apply to the biology program as well." If you are worried call one or both of the programs and ask, phone calls are anonymous!!

• 5 months later...

I recently interviewed for two programs at the same institution. Got accepted to one. Awaiting a response from the second. I asked the graduate secretary prior. She said it was more than ok.

• 2 weeks later...

My POI recommended me to apply to the two programs that he was appointed in (psychology and biology) because I would have a higher chance of getting into one or the other rather than choosing one and putting my full faith into it. It's not necessarily frowned upon. I would be an international student, so I'm at a disadvantage because the university can take only so many international applicants. One program might be able to take me in while another cannot. It can depend on circumstances.

I think that it completely depends on your motive.

For me, the research that I am getting into is so incredibly interdiscipanry. I have seen professors associated with chemistry, biochem, biophysics, bioinformatics, computational biology, and even 1 in a statistics department working in my specific area. If there are 2 professors at a university who I am interested in working with and they are associated with two different departments then I certainly think that any school will understand why I applied to both departments. Keep in mind that your applications may be shared (probably not but who knows?) so make sure that they dont come off as indecisive, but rather let them einforce that you know exactly what you want to study and because of that, you needed to apply to 2 departments within the school.

I also think that it may be possible to apply to 2 departments for the same POI, to increase chances as mentioned above. I suppose here that you would essentially submit the same exact application. I would not do this without asking the POI whether it is recommended and definitely make sure the POI knows that you are doing because they are your 1st choice research advisor, not because you cant make up your mind.

If you are just applying to 2 departments because you want to increase chances of getting into the school (and havent discussed it with a POI) then I think you risk coming off as the sort of person who just wants to get into grad school and isnt applying for scpecific research goals.