Contacting departments (when told not to)

was1984

Since so many people seem to be contacting departments, and my schools all have some clause somewhere asking me specifically not to do so, it leads me to the following question: Are those of you that are contacting departments doing so despite requests not to?

Should I contact them anyway? I had a school that told me I should hear something in 7-10 days, and it has now been 13 days. Their website requests that we don't contact them, but I'm afraid if I don't contact them I may lose my marbles. Any suggestions?

Start a thread on here with your program name as the title and see if anyone else has info (or can commiserate)? In the end, I doubt your app would get thrown in the reject pile just for inquiring, but you know, "patience is a virtue" (I'm waitlisted, so this is my mantra).

If you are worried about them not having everything to evaluate your app then I say absolutely contact them. I got the please do not contact us letter when I turned in one app only to find out over a month later that they never received my GRE scores from ETS.

If you know they have everything and are just waiting on a decision I would give it a few more days. As long as you are nice when you call and are just looking for information they can't fault you for wanting to know when to expect a decision. I wouldn't call the department head or anything but it can't hurt to talk to someone in admissions.

I have contacted everyone and their brother at all my schools, and it didn't hurt me with admissions. NYU Steinhardt, for example, specifically requested no contact, but I emailed and phoned them until I heard good news. =) I was always polite and definitely "spread the wealth" - ie didn't keep contacting the same office over and over. And today I bugged Columbia into making my decision available online, and as I have yet to receive an email from them, I'm not sure I would have found out for a while yet otherwise (they were telling me 2-3 weeks).

If they haven't reviewed your application this can be a nuisance for you. If they have - they're not going to revoke your acceptance (or rejection) because you made a call or contacted.

I'd give it a little more time before you jump at them and any time you do be super sincere, very patient and all that. And only bug 'em once.