NELC/Middle Eastern Studies Fall 2014

Hi all, first time starting a forum on GradCafe - I poked around the site and haven't yet seen a NELC/MES forum for this year's application cycle yet so I thought I'd get a head start on it. Currently working on studying for the GRE exam that I'm taking October 5th. Would love to give/get support throughout the application process. First thing's first - a little about me:

Undergrad: I graduated in 2012 from a big state school with a BA in NELC, 3.9 overall, 3.96 departmental

GRE: Don't know what my GRE scores are yet, but I'm guessing it'll be in the 150-155Q and 165-170V. 

Languages: Italian, Arabic, French - in order of strength.

Major awards/scholarship: Graduated magna cum lauder, Boren scholar, Phi Beta Kappa, Fulbright finalist

Study abroad: Spent a year in Italy researching refugees seeking asylum from the Arab Spring revolutions

Research interests: nationalism, intellectual constructs of ethnicity, culture and national identity in the Arab Middle East, post-colonial transculturation in the M.E., ethnogastronomy

Applying to (list will likely be changed based on actual GRE scores):

Harvard (PhD Anthro/MES)

Washington (the only M.A. program I'm applying to)
Berkeley (PhD NES)
Georgetown (Joint degree, PhD Arabic/MA Arab Studies)
NYU (PhD MES/Islamic Studies)
Princeton (PhD NES)
Michigan (PhD NES)
U Penn (PhD NES)
Chicago(PhD NES)

Your turn! 

• 5 months later...

Hey there,

I tried to start the same forum as you, sorry I never saw yours, I've had a few people answer over at 

"NELC 2013 - Middle East, Near Eastern Studies"

I'm interested in Arabic language ideology and intellectual production, applying to Berkeley, UT, and UCLA

• 4 weeks later...

I emailed the DGS cos I have to respond to a different offer...but she was quite vague and didn't say what it meant if you didn't hear. So obviously I've been unable to concentrate all week 

Oh dear, this process is going to wear out my "refresh" button on my web browser.

*refreshes inbox*

I see someone has posted an NYU acceptance in Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies. I was previously informed that they can accept a maximum of five, including the joint history program. Anyone know if the decision for the joint history program is likely to have been sent today as well?

Hey - if it helps, this is exactly what the DGS said when I emailed her on Monday: 'Our expectation is that people will hear from us by the end of this week, so while there's a little bit of indeterminacy, it really shouldn't be very much longer.  I hope that's helpful'. Obviously I spent all week trying to analyse precisely what that meant...make of it what you will!

I'm the one who posted the acceptance btw, and my subfield is late Ottoman lit/culture. Has anyone else heard? 

Congratulations Idoone! MEIS, for all I've heard, is an outstanding program!

Was the email notifying you of acceptance an official one including an offer? An email from your POI or DGS?

I've heard nothing, and like Conmel, I'm waiting on a response regarding the Joint MEIS/History Ph.D.. Perhaps now that you've crossed the Rubicon, Idoone, you can be the one to ask whether all accepted students (including those applying for the joint Ph.D.) have already been notified? :ph34r: Just tell them you want to know for the sake of your friends up on the Grad Cafe.

Again, congrats!

It was an email from the Dean with the letter as an email attachment. And hahaha thanks. I'm going to request to Skype my potential advisor next week so maybe I should slip the question in...only maybe a bit more subtly than that....

It does sound like they're notifying the joint program at a different time though, and I think that's what they've done in recent years (though I mean I'm judging purely on the results page). Maybe it takes longer from going through 2 departments or something?

Edited by ldoone

Awesome. So a proper offer then :) I've yet to receive one of those.

And yes, if I were you I would prioritize the "asking for my buddies at TheGradCafe," rather low during that conversation.

I hope you're right about the joint program, or else that means I'm out...

Congrats Idoone, you've given us a glimmer of hope, although it's the hope that's killing me right now! With two official rejections in the last week and Columbia likely gone as well, I'm down to three schools (the joint MES & History programs at NYU and Harvard, and NES at Princeton) and starting to think in terms of Plan B.

^ thanks so much. But also don't give up - i feel like it's still really early in the process, it's not even march...

Congrats to whoever the Columbia acceptance was btw!

Edited by ldoone