Unsuccessful but promising PhD apps forwarded to MAs?

kdavid

My goal is to get a PhD. However, I'm worried my background may not be strong enough and that an MA may be needed for the programs I want to get into.

For the upcoming cycle, I have about 10-15 different programs I'm very interested in. Many of these programs also have strong MA programs in which I'm interested.

My question:

If I apply to a PhD program and the committee sees me as promising but not yet ready for a PhD, will they automatically forward me to the relevant MA program, or, should I apply to both?

Clearly, applying to both programs makes more work and potentially higher application fees.

I also think it would be a bit strange writing one SOP which states I'm clearly ready for a PhD, but then another for an MA (for the same university and potentially same readers!) stating that an MA would be beneficial prior to starting a PhD. I also wouldn't want to write in an MA SOP that I'm only applying to the MA as a back-up.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by kdavid

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, there are schools that automatically forward applications, but they tend to forward them to their general humanities MA programs. For example, Chicago may offer you a place in its MAPH program, or NYU in the Draper program. Other schools allow you to check a box on your PhD application that will give you the option of having the application forwarded. I second jenste's advice to look into each school individually to see how they do this.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, there are schools that automatically forward applications, but they tend to forward them to their general humanities MA programs. For example, Chicago may offer you a place in its MAPH program, or NYU in the Draper program. Other schools allow you to check a box on your PhD application that will give you the option of having the application forwarded. I second jenste's advice to look into each school individually to see how they do this.

Small correction: UChicago forwards its PhD apps for History to its MAPSS program, not the MAPH. I mention this because there is significant difference in how these programs are perceived and represented on the interwebs.

Edited by telkanuru

After my PhD app was rejected (years ago), I called for it to be forward to another dept for their MA program (which my adviser was a chair of) so I could have another shot at working with her.  Worked out just fine :)