Chances of getting in?

social_treehugger

Hey everyone - after months of lurking, today I got an account and am making my first post! Hopefully I'll get some responses. I'm wondering if anyone can offer an opinion in terms of my admission chances. I'm applying to a diverse collection of Canadian social psych MA programs (Ryerson, Waterloo, U of T, U of M, SFU, UNB).

• Grades: My university only does percentages (90.1% - probably 3.9x GPA)
  • GRE: 165 V, 160 Q, 5.0 A
  • Research experience: 1 paid research internship this summer (my official title was lab manager but I was basically a super active RA). I also hope to RA in a lab this school year
  • No real publications, just 1 in an undergraduate journal
  • Volunteer editor for 2 undergraduate journals (psychology and women's studies)
  • Other random things sort of related to my research interests: volunteer at suicide hotline, rep for uni women's studies student council

I feel super average; thoughts? If my interests align really well with my POI (they do), would my application be competitive?

Edited by social_treehugger

I agree with Lisa; you'd be super competitive in US MA programs (the GRE score is great!). And you can actually check admissions criteria for Canadian schools using the APA's Graduate Study in Psychology, 2014. The last section of the book covers Canadian schools exclusively, and usually provides you with info on median GRE scores of applicants, etc. 

The link to the book is here, should you want to find it: http://www.apa.org/pubs/books/4270098.aspx

Your responses actually makes me feel a lot better. I WAS feeling confident before I found this website, but everyone's resumes on here seem so amazing. I guess some people are well into their MA already, so I should remember that. 

SocialConstruction, thanks for the tip. I'd love to look at those stats but unfortunately I don't have the money to drop on the book (I'm a member of the CPA but not the APA, so I don't even qualify for the discount). I know it's just $30 but after buying my textbooks and writing a cheque for tuition, I'm expecting a lot of ramen noodles this September!

Social_treehugger,

I don't know about Canadian schools, but most US schools post admissions criteria on their program websites.  (At least for I/O and clinical, they do.)  Do they not have this information on the Canadian social psych program websites?

So to clarify, I'm looking for opinions on how competitive my application would be, not whether or not it would technically allow me to gain admission.

Got it.  Your stats are certainly comparable to mine as far as GRE and GPA.  But I'm in a different psych discipline. ;)  

I don't know how it is with MA programs in Canada, but PhD programs here - all other things being similar - put the most emphasis on research interest fit with faculty.  I take this to mean, for two candidates who both meet the minimum qualifications, they would just as likely accept the student with the lower GPA and GRE scores who is the better research fit rather than the student with the higher scores who does not fit as well with the faculty research.  US schools also tend to value research experience and I think the same logic would apply for choosing between two candidates with comparable grades/GRE scores; the one with the better research experience would likely have the edge.

Am I understanding correctly that in many programs in Canada, you are accepted into the master's program and then from the master's you go on into the PhD program?  So research fit might be as important there as it is here. . .?  Sadly, one's chances for any given application cycle seem to be contigent on the field of other applicants.  And outside of folks posting here, there is no way to really gauge that.

Edited by Bren2014

Thanks for the response Bren :) The progression varies a bit, but in Canada students usually go from Honors BA, to MA, then PhD. However, lots of programs fast track students after a year in the MA program and many explicitly state that students uninterested in obtaining their PhD need not apply. Also, Waterloo admits straight from undergrad into a PhD program. So basically they really value research experience. Luckily I have an interview for an RA position this Friday, so hopefully I'll get into a lab and start some work asap.

You're also right about research interests; I'm hoping my mutual interests will help out quite a bit because lots of profs up here seem to study prejudice and gender/queer issues. 

Ultimately I'll just have to let the chips fall where they may! I'm glad that my scores were comparable to yours, though.

CPA has a guide to graduate studies pdf posted on their website somewhere.

I have connections to one or two of those programs you listed but prefer not to say it here, so if you want any inside info on it send me a PM and I'll say what's what.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little late to this party, but I think you are competitive. I can't speak for all POIs, but from my experience, your lab manager job + 1 year RA before grad school is a good start (are you doing a thesis-- could make you even stronger?). I think having fresh ideas/being a good match to the POI will ease any concerns regarding your research experience. 

Edited by psychgurl

Thanks psychgurl. I am doing a thesis, and it involves original data collection using 2 very different samples (more complex than it had to be, but I'm hoping it'll yield a publication). I also got an RA volunteer position for this year.

Like you said, I'm hoping my passion and compatibility with POIs will carry me through. I'm a nervous person which is why I'm questioning my competitiveness, I suppose.

It isn't really a combined program, or at least not like how many other schools do it.  E.g. Schools like UBC have a combined program, where you actually pursue your masters, obtain it, then pursue your ph.d and obtain that as well.

At waterloo, you (excluding outstanding exceptions) begin with ph.d. work and along the way can be given a masters. 

Sorry to be unclear, I think we're probably just using different words for the same thing. I meant that UW is direct-entry PhD like you're saying. I've seen that referred to (e.g., by SSHRC) as "combined MA/PhD programs" or "fast-track" programs. Now we're getting pretty esoteric, but you're also right that people there don't get MA's at UW unless you need one to maximize scholarship eligibility or you want to leave mid-program and it's their way of letting you have something for your time.

The more important points for anybody thinking of applying there are: (1) Even though it's a PhD program you don't need a MA to apply and (2) you're treated like a PhD student from day 1 regardless of what they call you on paper--there's no division between masters students and PhD students like there might be at other places.

The program is still 5-6 years, you probably won't save any time relative to places with separate degrees. And of course everybody still recognizes that you're a first-year grad student and still learning (i.e., nobody expects you to have the knowledge of somebody with an MA). I just mean there isn't a stratified hierarchy distinguishing the two.

Thanks psychgurl. I am doing a thesis, and it involves original data collection using 2 very different samples (more complex than it had to be, but I'm hoping it'll yield a publication). I also got an RA volunteer position for this year.

Like you said, I'm hoping my passion and compatibility with POIs will carry me through. I'm a nervous person which is why I'm questioning my competitiveness, I suppose.

Although it's tempting to compare yourself to others on gradcafe, resist! It will drive you crazy. I remember my year, there was someone on here with a 1500 GRE (don't know the new scoring system...) and pubs, etc. Of course, I freaked out ...but I did end up having a couple interviews/acceptances. In short, don't sweat it. Also, people only advertise a small snapshot of their applications here (GREs basically)...a HUGE piece of the puzzle is the statement of purpose. I think that's what makes/breaks people.