NDSEG 2013-2014

InquilineKea

Thanks smb888! Any inputs on the questions? :)

I'm pretty sure for (1) you can do whatever you want, as long as you stay in the *field* you applied under (I guess Mathematics for you?). 

For (2)...I have no idea, but I'd talk to your grad coordinator to figure it out. Most programs (like mine) require SOME teaching as a graduation requirement, and NDSEG has to work with them on this, so I'm sure there's some nice solution.

Congrats!!

Edited by bluebla

I'm pretty sure for (1) you can do whatever you want, as long as you stay in the *field* you applied under (I guess Mathematics for you?). 

For (2)...I have no idea, but I'd talk to your grad coordinator to figure it out. Most programs (like mine) require SOME teaching as a graduation requirement, and NDSEG has to work with them on this, so I'm sure there's some nice solution.

Congrats!!

Thanks bluebla. Your answer to (1) cleared some doubts in my mind. And ya, will probably talk to my chair about (2) and figure stuff out. Thanks again. Good luck to everyone else!

Messaged NDSEG on facebook:

We are currently still waiting on more information from the DoD. However, it is the goal of our program office to make sure that all notifications are issued by the end of this month. We are currently on track for this to happen, so please stay tuned!

I emailed the NDSEG today and received the following. I have also given up any hope.

Thank you for your message. Applications are still being considered for awards, and we are awaiting further instruction from the DoD. Please note that we have begun the award process; however, not all awards have been issued yet. Unfortunately, the Department of Defense has not yet given us a timeline as to when the remaining awarded applicants will be announced. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

The NDSEG Program Team at ASEE
1818 N Street NW, Suite 600
Washington, DC 20036
Phone: (202) 649-3831
Fax: (202) 265-8504

Messaged NDSEG on facebook:

We are currently still waiting on more information from the DoD. However, it is the goal of our program office to make sure that all notifications are issued by the end of this month. We are currently on track for this to happen, so please stay tuned!

Great, so just like how decisions were supposed to be released the second week of April? Getting ready for another "We are pleased to inform you that we are still considering you" email.

So.... is there any new news to be had? Or are people starting to give up hope?

Given up hope, yes. I'm glad I'm still qualified for the next cycle.

After 3 years of applying for this grant, it's baffling to me why ASEE sticks to the "we're waiting for feedback and this isn't a waitlist" story. That doesn't make sense since the process is: almost all the acceptances go out at once (along with some rejections), everyone else is told to wait, a few more acceptances are sent out, and then everyone else is sent rejections. Is it just me or does that not sound like a waitlist scenario??

Anyway, if the past 2 years are any indication, we should be getting final rejections this week.

I was informed on April 17th that I had gotten the fellowship. They received my paperwork today morning, and called me to tell me they did not have my name as one of the awardees. Apparently some IT glitch sent me an email, and had the congratulations page on the 

www. ndseg.asee.org/award

website. So now, I have spent a shit load of money in anticipation of a better future, and have no fellowship (as of now). Very highly disappointed.

I was informed on April 17th that I had gotten the fellowship. They received my paperwork today morning, and called me to tell me they did not have my name as one of the awardees. Apparently some IT glitch sent me an email, and had the congratulations page on the www. ndseg.asee.org/award website. So now, I have spent a shit load of money in anticipation of a better future, and have no fellowship (as of now). Very highly disappointed.

That's terrible, I'm so sorry to hear that. I can't imagine how they managed to screw up that badly. Talk about a let down :(  

Thanks. I know, it sucks big time. I am now hoping they give it to me out of pity. 

If you received an email from NDSEG congratulating you on your award and they didn't catch this mistake until AFTER you tried to turn in your paperwork, they most certainly owe you some special consideration or some formal apology. These awards can make or break plans for students grad careers especially if you are looking at schools with little to no funding. If they claim it really was an IT "glitch" on their website, then there may be other applicants who are in the same boat (anyone?) However, if this is an isolated case, they may have accidentally given the award before they were allowed to release the second round of acceptances? I don't mean to get your hopes up, just trying to throw out some possible explanations. You would think that since there are only 200 awards given out, it isn't too much to ask for the program team to double check the list of names once or twice before sending out emails. 

Has this happened to any other applicants?

Edited by krahill

If you received an email from NDSEG congratulating you on your award and they didn't catch this mistake until AFTER you tried to turn in your paperwork, they most certainly owe you some special consideration or some formal apology. These awards can make or break plans for students grad careers especially if you are looking at schools with little to no funding. If they claim it really was an IT "glitch" on their website, then there may be other applicants who are in the same boat (anyone?) However, if this is an isolated case, they may have accidentally given the award before they were allowed to release the second round of acceptances? I don't mean to get your hopes up, just trying to throw out some possible explanations. You would think that since there are only 200 awards given out, it isn't too much to ask for the program team to double check the list of names once or twice before sending out emails. 

So, what if this happens the other way? If you are accidentally rejected, how will you ever find out?

Thanks krahill! Ya, I talked to the people, and from what I could understand they were terribly sorry. They apologized profusely, when I told them how much distress this had caused me. They said this was an isolated incident, and they have never had anything happen like this before. 

For everyone else, they said they are still making decisions, and hope to have them ready by the end of the month (today!), or atleast by the end of this week.

Anyone else not get an email?

Neither I nor my roommate have received an email since  the "congrats you are sill being considered" email on April 10th. 

Would you mind sharing your department? Mine was MSE/Bio

I can't remember if put in regular Bio or Biological Engineering, but my roommate is definitely straight Bio.