NDSEG 2013-2014

InquilineKea

Another Biochem student and I got the same "We are pleased to inform you..still being considered." Hopefully everyone who got this e-mail will find out soon. I found a website that reported the responses people got and last year those who received this email found out the first week in May. Here's to finding out sooner.  :rolleyes:

And congrats mcknoche!

Edited by Shibi12

I think it's different from the NSF setup because the DoD facilities are the final decision makers.  Since they all probably submit their decisions at different times, even though they probably have the same deadlines, it makes the award offers more of a lump thing..and also might explain why certain disciplines hear together...who knows..

I got offered the award!  But I also was offered the NSF GRFP, so it's decision time. 

Congrats! That's fantastic. I was offered the NSF GRFP as well, no NDSEG as of yet.

What are the benefits of one fellowship over the other beyond what's listed on their webpages? As far as I can tell: NSF has a slightly higher stipend (also you can begin it in June or Sept, NDSEG begins Sept, so you could get more $$ through NSF if you are eventually graduating at the end of the school year), NDSEG covers $1K of health insurance (not sure about NSF), both offer some sort of super-computer access, international research options for NSF... anything else? Especially any pros/cons you wouldn't know until you begin the award?

Got it!

Dear 2014 NDSEG Applicant,

Congratulations! You have been selected to receive a 2014 National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship.  The NDSEG Fellowship is sponsored and funded by the Department of Defense (DoD).  NDSEG selections are made by the Air Force Research Laboratory/Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFRL/AFOSR), the Office of Naval Research (ONR), and the Army Research Office (ARO). The American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) administers the NDSEG Fellowship.

Congrats mcknoche & galapagos!! What was the acceptance deadline they gave you? My guess is that's when us waitlisters can expect a final decision.

Edited by sandyo

If anyone else got both NSF and NDSEG, do you know which you will accept? Maybe we can get together and compare notes. I know NDSEG is more tuition money (full tuition vs $12k/yr for NSF), but honestly that only matters for my department (I am a PhD student, so all my tuition is paid for by the dept.). I care more about whether one fellowship has a better community, more oppportunity for outreach with alums (obviously NSF has a larger alum network), more specific opportuniites like NSF GROW (the abroad thing).

Send me a pm if you want to compare notes!

I got offered the award!  But I also was offered the NSF GRFP, so it's decision time. 

I think you can actually accept both, since NSF allows you to defer funding for two years (it gives three years of funding over five years). Just defer the NSF for a year or two, depending on whether you're an undergraduate or first-year graduate student and use the NDSEG for your first year or two. Then start your NSF funding. Obviously you should check with your program director at your graduate institution to make sure everything's okay, but I'm pretty sure you can work it out. Congrats!

Note that the NDSEG is non-deferrable. So you have to use the NDSEG first. 

Edited by brusselsprouted

I think you can actually accept both, since NSF allows you to defer funding for two years (it gives three years of funding over five years). Just defer the NSF for a year or two, depending on whether you're an undergraduate or first-year graduate student and use the NDSEG for your first year or two. Then start your NSF funding. Obviously you should check with your program director at your graduate institution to make sure everything's okay, but I'm pretty sure you can work it out. Congrats!

Note that the NDSEG is non-deferrable. So you have to use the NDSEG first.

Awesome!I'm going to have to check into that. For those of you wondering, we have to accept the NDSEG by April 17. Also, my field of study is Electrical Engineering.

From the NSF solicitation: http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2013/nsf13584/nsf13584.htm

The GRFP fellowship cannot be accepted concurrently with another Federal fellowship.

Since the award period for the NSF is five years (and three years for actual tenure), this means you cannot accept both.

On to differences: you have to accept the NDSEG immediately, which is sort of less flexible than the ability to put the GRFP on reserve for up to two years. Any other differences besides the ones listed?

I got one of the "We are pleased to inform you that your application is still being considered for an award." email messages. Does the fact that some people got actual award notices mean that I haven't been awarded one and probably won't be?

*is really neurotic*

I got one of the "We are pleased to inform you that your application is still being considered for an award." email messages. Does the fact that some people got actual award notices mean that I haven't been awarded one and probably won't be?

*is really neurotic*

2 years ago, we didn't get any initial notification. Last year, there were a few people who got an award after getting the waitlist email - so there is still hope! Both years, I got the final notification the 1st week of May. Since the acceptance deadline is 4/17 (per mcknoche, above), seems like we should hear about the same time again, as they notify waitlisted people based on acceptance replies.

*is really neurotic*

I'm assuming wait-listed people got that email, too, no? April 17 is not much time to decide!

What (so far) seems different this year is that no one got outright rejections today. Last year, this email seemed like a waitlist, but maybe this year they just sent it to everyone who wasn't awarded.

What (so far) seems different this year is that no one got outright rejections today. Last year, this email seemed like a waitlist, but maybe this year they just sent it to everyone who wasn't awarded.

That's what I'm thinking.  *Le sigh*

Congrats to everyone who got it!!

It seems like in previous years, awards went out by discipline...has anyone in Biosciences heard back positively?

Also, what do people see when they log in here: https://ndseg.asee.org/award/awardees/19270 

I get a message that I've declined the award, which freaks me out a little..

It seems like in previous years, awards went out by discipline...has anyone in Biosciences heard back positively?

Also, what do people see when they log in here: https://ndseg.asee.org/award/awardees/19270 

I'm in biosciences and have the "still being considered" email.

The site is not taking my password from this login screen. Is anyone encountering the same problem?

The site is not taking my password from this login screen. Is anyone encountering the same problem?

So if I go to https://ndseg.asee.org/award and try to log in, it won't let me. But I think since I am logged into the application site, this site is up: https://ndseg.asee.org/award/19270/overview and gives me a message that I've declined my offer...which I have / would not :)