NDSEG 2013-2014

InquilineKea

Since so many people are wondering the same thing, I contacted the NDSEG. 

The people who received the email about still being considered are not waitlisted. Only a certain number of the awards have been announced. They still have awards to distribute, but are waiting on the DoD to provide them with more information. 

Hope that helps!

The people who received the email about still being considered are not waitlisted. Only a certain number of the awards have been announced. They still have awards to distribute, but are waiting on the DoD to provide them with more information. 

Hope that helps!

Ahh thank you! Any word on possible timeline (e.g., relax for now because they will take weeks..)?

I received the "still being considered" email as well. I applied last year and received the same email in early April and then a rejection letter on the 2nd of May. I am also in the Biosciences.

I already received the NSF GRFP but I considerably restructured my NDSEG application and have a lot more publications than last year so I am really curious to see if I fare better in the NDSEG review. 

ETA: last year they sent out a wave of rejections at this point as well and it doesn't seem like that has happened, so that's curious.

Edited by th3catalyst

Ahh thank you! Any word on possible timeline (e.g., relax for now because they will take weeks..)?

No known timeline, at least that the NDSEG is aware of. We are at the mercy of the DoD and their various organizations. 

Hope that helps!

Thank you for checking! Although they said exactly the same thing last year. Overall, given the lack of transparency in this process, we won't get very far by speculating.

If the last 2 years are any indication -- we should be getting the final decision 1st week of May.

I received the "still being considered" email as well. I applied last year and received the same email in early April and then a rejection letter on the 2nd of May. I am also in the Biosciences.

I already received the NSF GRFP but I considerably restructured my NDSEG application and have a lot more publications than last year so I am really curious to see if I fare better in the NDSEG review. 

ETA: last year they sent out a wave of rejections at this point as well and it doesn't seem like that has happened, so that's curious.

I'm also in Biosciences, and I received this. My labmate is a semi-finalist for SMART and she got the "still being considered" from NDSEG as well. Sounds like they are doing it by DoD facility. Another three weeks to wait is better than waiting till the end of the summer for a yes or no.

Anyone in Computer and Computational Science get the award?

Yup, I heard back a bit earlier this morning. Applied under heterogeneous computing. The email I got:

Dear 2014 NDSEG Applicant,

Congratulations! You have been selected to receive a 2014 National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship.  The NDSEG Fellowship is sponsored and funded by the Department of Defense (DoD).  NDSEG selections are made by the Air Force Research Laboratory/Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFRL/AFOSR), the Office of Naval Research (ONR), and the Army Research Office (ARO). The American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) administers the NDSEG Fellowship.

If you are unable to accept the fellowship, please provide a brief explanation in the comments section of the award portal. We ask that you please accept or decline yourNDSEG award online at https://ndseg.asee.org/award by Thursday, April 24th at 11:59 p.m. EST.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact ASEE at (202) 649-3831 or by email atNDSEG@asee.org.  We will be happy to assist you.

Sincerely,

The NDSEG Fellowship Program Team at ASEE

I just got the award! I'm in Mechanical Engineering, and I'm another one of those people who got both the NSF GRFP and the NDSEG. I think I'll likely be accepting the NSF (the money is slightly better and I'm interested in NSF GROW), so hopefully I'll free up an NDSEG spot for someone else!

Got the email saying still being considered. Computer Science.

I was super excited with the "We are pleased to" but then saw "still being considered" and I was all "WTF?"

Who the hell writes a sentence like that? It's like if your boyfriend/girlfriend were to say "We need to talk... Nutter-butters are a seriously underrated cookie."

Do successful applicants receive reviews (i.e. as in the NSF-GRFP?) It would be helpful to have insightful feedback.

Negative. In NSF-GRFP all applicants who weren't auto-rejected for not following the proposal requirements receive reviews.

Question for anyone who might know: How does NDSEG view disabilities in terms of academics and GRE scores? I read somewhere that if you're not in the top 80th percentile academically, there's a good chance you won't be ranked high enough to be reviewed by the DoD.

My disability is cognitive and related to a birth defect. My GRE scores are low and I have a relatively mediocre GPA. I expected to not even make it past this first round but did manage to recieve the "still being considered" email. However, I have 3 publications (2 in press, technically), have worked in 2 DoD laboratories, and have 5 awards (all research, none academic). What exactly does NDSEG weight more? 

Question for anyone who might know: How does NDSEG view disabilities in terms of academics and GRE scores? I read somewhere that if you're not in the top 80th percentile academically, there's a good chance you won't be ranked high enough to be reviewed by the DoD.

My disability is cognitive and related to a birth defect. My GRE scores are low and I have a relatively mediocre GPA. I expected to not even make it past this first round but did manage to recieve the "still being considered" email. However, I have 3 publications (2 in press, technically), have worked in 2 DoD laboratories, and have 5 awards (all research, none academic). What exactly does NDSEG weight more? 

Not sure how they view disabilities. Their initial reviews are all point based out of 100 total points. GPA/GRE's are lumped together and represent 25 points. I heard from a past reviewer that GPA of 3.7 and GRE's in the 80th percentile would get approximately 20/25, but that was from a different pool of applicants. The next biggest point items are scientific or research experience (20 points), research goals (15 points), and then references (10 points) and publications/presentations/patents (10 points), everything else is 5 points. If you leave a certain field empty, then you automatically receive 0 points…so helpful to put something in each field, even if minor to get 1 point. Now what I just said pertains to the initial cut-off (first-round) that are sent to the DoD agencies. I don't know how the individual DoD agencies look at and review the applications. They may just be looking for strong candidates doing research that is pertinent to their agency's current research interests.