Should I retake the GRE?

ImGradBound

I'm a little unsettled about my GRE scores. I'm applying to Humanities programs. On my Verbal and Analytical Writing, I scored in the 73rd percentile (157) and the 78th percentile (4.5), respectively. It's not like I'm applying to Harvard or anything, but I'm also not applying to DeVry ... get my gist? I just don't know if I should retake it or not. Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by ImGradBound

Hi,  ImGradBound,

I just created this account to post right around the same question that you did (I didn't see a point in starting a new topic). I'm in the same boat, so hopefully somebody can help us out. I scored the same as you did in V (157), and Writing was a 4.5. Like you, I'm not applying to Harvard but I do want to get into a good medieval program. Good luck in your applications!

Many institutions post the average stats for incoming students in previous years. I would suggest that you look up those numbers and see how close you are. If you're not in the general area, then you might want to retake. Honestly, your stats aren't great but they're not horrific either. It really depends on where you're applying. Good luck!

Hello, would either of you be willing to provide your Quant scores. I would like to compare the percentile rankings as reference for when I take the test in a couple of weeks.

Thanks.

p.s., I would think Quant would not have a strong effect on an application for graduate work in History. You can ask graduate students at the campus's you would like to attend what their scores were via e-mail.

Scarf,

My Q was a subpar 145 weighted. I know this needs improvement so I'm retaking in two weeks. My V was a weighted 157, which I am more focused on raisng to 160 and above. I also want to add that I'll be attending an international research conference this month, presenting at a national conference in February, and gave a paper last spring. I'm also doing a department research assistantship. I've got a 3.90 MA gpa and passed my departmental language exam. I'm also moving along with acquiring German.Thanks!

Edited by Leighton

Hi there,

O sat the GRE today, I am just so disappointed in myself and in my scores. I have no idea how you guys manage to score good in verbal, I messed it up. and scored 141 in Verbal...I scored 158 in Quant. And waiting for my writing scores. I am applying to engineering. not to Ivy's....but, I have no idea if I can even aply to mediocre schools with those horrible scores....They will reject me because of my Verbal :(((((((((((

I also sat for mine today. In all of my many practice tests I had been doing awesome on Quant (160-164), and poorly on Verbal (150-155). I was so worried for the verbal section, but once I started it was the exact opposite! I choked on quant, just wasnt getting problems that I was well studied for. Luckily, I pulled a verbal score out of my ass that salvaged my results.

V-162    :)

Q-157   :(

I am confident that if I re-took, I would score 160+ on Quant, but I am equally certain that I would score <160 on Verbal. I am happy with my results, overall.

Newlyadmit, I think the best way that I was able to bump my score was to get some flash cards (Kaplan, in my case). I locked in on 500 of the most common difficult words. From there I "learned to love" vocabulary, and really paid attention to when I would read a GRE sounding word. It is impossible to learn every word that they can throw at you, but you can certainly get a good solid base. Additionally, the test comes down to "luck of the draw", meaning you may get questions with all words you know, and you may not recognize a single word. Such was the case with my quant section, and I am certain that I would do better if I re-took this.

I am always equally amazed at the 170 Verbal scores we hear about on this forum, but I hope that I helped you a bit.

Hello SportPsych30,

First, congrats on your GRE; your major is not engineering, therefore your Q is still very good, I think. Wow, you really aced in Verbal, so good.

Yes, I too was doing better during my practices (although I studied only for 3 weeks from scratch), yet, during the exam, I was just so inundated with the pressure or I don't know what it was, but I was stuck somehow. Yes, Q section had really ''very hard'' questions, some had too many words just to confuse, in fact, when I refreshed my mind after skipping those questions and returning back, I realized they were solvable, yet my time was not so enough.

I think, I will re-take in October, as the November is full, I could not find any spot where I live. I really have to study for Verbal, and practice Q for the last time. As it's very expensive for me considering I also paid for TOEFL, and if I don't score good in that then I am gonna have to pay for IELTS....So, it's very costly, very stressful, I am just so disheartened and disappointed....Thank you for your suggestion, I will search for Kaplan Flash card and will give it a shot for the last time.

Good luck in your endeavors ! Thanks again.

Edited by newlyadmit13

Newlyadmit,

Don't get discouraged pal, you even said so yourself that you didn't perform as well as you could/should have. That should be reason enough to motivate you to get back up on the horse and give this thing another whirl.  Three weeks probably wasn't enough time, especially since I see that English is not your first language. I've been surrounded by English for 20 years, and I studied dilligently for 4 months straight. I was fortunate enough to have the time available to me this summer, but I understand that this is not the case for everyone. Re-taking it will likely result in better performance. At least you will be less nervous and know what to expect.

Rooting for you,

SP30

Scarf in the Wind,

Thanks for your suggestion. I will look at the websites you advise; though I have no idea if the vocab that I will have memorized will be on the test or not. I memorized so much vocab, but only 1 or 2 were on the test; this is my concern. Phew ! V-150 will be good for me ....As to Q increasing 157 or more, I can only state that try not to miss the easy questions, if you realize you cannot solve some 'very hard' questions, skip them and re-check the easy and medium questions, just guarantee that you did answer 27 questions correctly.

I shouldn't have missed geometry questions, for instance. I am normally scoring full in geometry, however, in the exam, I don't how and why, my mind went blank and I could not remember the 'arc formula' :(( So, I scored less than I expected.....I will re-take, too...I hope we will score better next time, let's cross our fingers...Good luck!

Edited by newlyadmit13