GRE Vocabulary list

PhDF2014

Could anyone please give me the best GRE common voc list? Is there anyone who just took the exam-esp international? if yes, could you please tell me how did you do on the verbal and which list did you use and if you got some voc from it on the actual test or not?

Check out those vocab flashcards on Quizlet. The ones from Manhattan (essential and advanced) and Barrons should have all the most common words. You might also want to take a look at Magoosh vocab flashcards as well.

I'm an international applicant but I have yet to take my GRE. But judging from my practice test scores I can say that I don't do really well in verbal - it's ridiculously tough to break the 80th percentile barrier (or even 75th for me). Nonetheless with a good amount of practice, I think everything is possible.. I'm taking it this October and I'll let you know how it goes.

Edited by obviousbicycle

Check this site:

GRE Words

In the aforementioned site, one can find words from the following books:
Priority 1: From Kaplan - GRE EXAM Verbal Work Book - 200 TOP GRE Words
Priority 2: From Barron - Essential Words for the GRE - 300 Absolutely Essential GRE Words
Priority 3: From Barron - Essential Words for the GRE - 800 High-Frequency GRE Words
Priority 4: From Princeton

Please first learn the most important words (priority 1) and then go to the next level and learn ones in the Priority 2 group and so on.

Check this site:

GRE Words

In the aforementioned site, one can find words from the following books:

Priority 1: From Kaplan - GRE EXAM Verbal Work Book - 200 TOP GRE Words

Priority 2: From Barron - Essential Words for the GRE - 300 Absolutely Essential GRE Words

Priority 3: From Barron - Essential Words for the GRE - 800 High-Frequency GRE Words

Priority 4: From Princeton

Please first learn the most important words (priority 1) and then go to the next level and learn ones in the Priority 2 group and so on.

thanks do i have to learn the synonynms and antonyms of these words.

thanks do i have to learn the synonynms and antonyms of these words.

Hi, you'r welcome.

No, all the synonyms and antonyms aren't useful and you shouldn't memorize all of them. The ones that are bold and have larger size are GRE words too (are in the list) so I think one should only learn them. For example, look at  http://www.killthegre.com/words/view/abate in the list, the following synonym words are GRE words and are in the list:

subside, allay, quell, subdue

You can click on the GRE words on the synonyms and antonyms section. By learning the synonyms and antonyms of a GRE word one can learn faster because in this way one divides the words in several groups and each word in a group has similar meaning.

Please note that to see all the synonyms and antonyms of a word you should click the word on the list (on the worldlist, for each word, 10 synonyms and antonyms are shown at most)

Edited by yeki

Hi, you'r welcome.

No, all the synonyms and antonyms aren't useful and you shouldn't memorize all of them. The ones that are bold and have larger size are GRE words too (are in the list) so I think one should only learn them. For example, look at  http://www.killthegre.com/words/view/abate in the list, the following synonym words are GRE words and are in the list:

subside, allay, quell, subdue

You can click on the GRE words on the synonyms and antonyms section. By learning the synonyms and antonyms of a GRE word one can learn faster because in this way one divides the words in several groups and each word in a group has similar meaning.

Please note that to see all the synonyms and antonyms of a word you should click the word on the list (on the worldlist, for each word, 10 synonyms and antonyms are shown at most)

thanks.. a lot. Do i still need to get the Manhattan essential and advanced words.

• 1 year later...

https://crackoo.com/ h as comprehensive GRE wordlist.

Also, It allows you to memorize and practice GRE words, track and review your progress as you go along, focus on a narrower set based on your needs, get unique insight and improvise your skills using the reports and analysis tools.