Should I retake GRE?!

shngergis

Hi,

I am Shady, from Egypt. I have taken the GRE a week ago, and I got 148/159/3.5 in Q/V/A. I want to apply for masters in top 10 schools in civil engineering (UIUC, Stanford, Berkeley, U of Texas..etc.) . In particular, I am interested in Structural Engineering. Do you think I should retake the test or not. I just want to know which part of my score is most detrimental is it the AW? or anything else?!

If I should retake it, what target score should I aim for?!

Thanks

Edited by shngergis

I don't know enough about engineering to be certain, but it is my understanding that quantitative scores are pretty important. If that is in fact the case, you will probably want to brush up on your math skills and raise that Q score..

Cheers,

SP30

That Q score is abysmal, disregarding any major considering the math required for the GRE is at hardest secondary school. While structural engineering, in class and in practice is one of the least quantitative engineering, that score would probably get your application automatically rejected by software unless you have an IMMACULATE supplementary package. Seeing as you are international, your application must be much better than that of a domestic student; There are plenty of domestic students with less than desirable test scores that they would rather take than an international student whom did not perform well on the GRE. This is just the case; international admissions is tougher. You realistically need to get a 162+ on the quant for a top 10 program... but I would shoot for even higher.

GeoDUDE!....I agree that Structural Engineering is the least quantitative branch of engineering, and I am planning to increase my score in that area even though I do really good in practices, and I usually finish before time. I guess all I have to do is to practice more. I am actually concerned about my Verbal and Analytical writing scores are they considered Okay?! I know I am an international student, but I spent a semester at Iowa State University, and I graduated from the American University in Cairo, and the program is ABET accredited. My GPA is 3.64/4.0 I currently work as a TA, and RA, I will be submitting a paper next month to the annual US Earthquake Engineering. Conference Do these  things make any difference? 

That Q score is abysmal, disregarding any major considering the math required for the GRE is at hardest secondary school. While structural engineering, in class and in practice is one of the least quantitative engineering, that score would probably get your application automatically rejected by software unless you have an IMMACULATE supplementary package. Seeing as you are international, your application must be much better than that of a domestic student; There are plenty of domestic students with less than desirable test scores that they would rather take than an international student whom did not perform well on the GRE. This is just the case; international admissions is tougher. You realistically need to get a 162+ on the quant for a top 10 program... but I would shoot for even higher.

Edited by shngergis