phd Brown vs. masters at Cornell?

Hello all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice, of course. :)

I applied to and received offers from 6/8 schools, am currently trying to decide between a Comp Lit PHd at Brown and a (fully funded) "Area Studies" masters at Cornell.

Am I crazy to seriously consider turning down a PhD program for a masters program? The thing is, I seriously feel drained after 4 years of undergrad and while I don't want to take time off-- I really would like some time to solidify my interests.

I've spoken to several profs at the area studies masters, one of which ( my potential adviser) warned me that getting into graduate school is going to be even tougher in the coming years. He seemed to be hinting that I should take the PHd offer...but I'm starting to have doubts about a) my fit in the program B) the potential of jobs after graduation in comp lit or a national literature program...etc,etc, etc.

The only reason I'd take the Phd offer is because I'm quite worried about my grades this semester and I don't want to go through the whole application process again. Really, I nearly died of angst this Jan/Feb, lol.

Any thoughts?

Best,

NF

I agree with the above poster. It will be harder to get into a phd program a few years from now, and it's pretty damn hard now.

I had a similar feeling about going on to a phd program when I was in my last year of undergrad, so I applied to just get my MA. After half a semester of my masters program, I knew this is what I want to do. So, I now am finishing up at a terminal masters program, and I really do feel that I'm at a disadvantage. I've talked to a handful of DGSs and they all have said that programs aren't to keen on a terminal masters degree. I already have been trained to read, write, and teach according to another department's standards and opinions... which may or may not mesh up well with another departments. I wish I could go back and do it differently... and now I think I'm paying for it, because I've got 11 rejections and 1 weightlist under my belt. Woot. Woot. Go with an open mind to Brown. IF you hate it, say thanks for the masters see you guys later! People do that all the time. Good luck!

tuck that Brown University acceptance under your arm like a football, briefly pull a Heisman Trophy pose, and run for the damn hills.

Best image ever.

But seriously, you are crazy if you turn down a funded PhD offer at Brown for a funded MA at Cornell. I mean, maybe if you were deciding between East Bumblefuck U and Cornell, I would say take the MA, but come on. It's Brown.

Best image ever.

But seriously, you are crazy if you turn down a funded PhD offer at Brown for a funded MA at Cornell. I mean, maybe if you were deciding between East Bumblefuck U and Cornell, I would say take the MA, but come on. It's Brown.

You're all right, of course. I feel a bit silly for posting in the first place but thank you for humoring me. :D I think it's just pre-grad school jitters; I'm going to miss thinking that I know what I'm talking about. :/

Best of luck to all!

NF

As someone regretting deeply not getting into the Brown PhD this year, I wholeheartedly agree with the above posters. I opted for a masters last year thinking I would get another shot at the PhD, only to have everything change and not get in after completing the masters. Don't make my mistake - if you're sure you want a PhD go for it while you have the chance!

You say you need time to think? Well, it seems that Brown is the audience favorite, so why not look into deferring for a year in order to travel and rest up a bit? I did not apply to the same program, bu the one I did apply to at Brown let me defer for a year, and I've been having a blast. If you're feeling the burn-out and need some space, this might be a good compromise. Just a thought.

Good luck either way!