Rhetoric/Composition 2014 hopefuls

As of today, Purdue R&C has once again placed all of our job candidates, with one taking a job in industry and the rest in TT positions.

Yay you guys! I think this means I can make Purdue people buy the first round in Pullman, right?

For realsies, who is going to Computers and Writing this year? I know bhr is. Anyone else? 

I want to go. I just can't justify the cost.

I'm not presenting.

I'm unemployed.

Its a long plane ride.

Now if someone wanted to do a live stream (it's not that hard! it's not that hard! it's not that hard!) I'd be "going". If someone kept a twitter feed up during Q&A I'd be "participating".  I'd even pay a small fee to be in on the stream.

ETA: And the cheese champion title doesn't carry any monetary reward.

Edited by BowTiesAreCool

I want to go. I just can't justify the cost.

I'm not presenting.

I'm unemployed.

Its a long plane ride.

Now if someone wanted to do a live stream (it's not that hard! it's not that hard! it's not that hard!) I'd be "going". If someone kept a twitter feed up during Q&A I'd be "participating".  I'd even pay a small fee to be in on the stream.

ETA: And the cheese champion title doesn't carry any monetary reward.

In the past, they've hosted online versions of the conference (called CW99 I believe). The SiteSlab sites that are used for cwcon every year are created by Dan Anderson at UNC, has they've been designed to promote as much interaction and engagement as possible, even if you're not at the conference.

Last year in Maryland, I've never seen so many people live tweet at a conference, so you can follow the feed. Last year they gathered as many people as possible to volunteer and videotape sessions. While I haven't heard anything about that this year, I imagine that it would be happening. 

You can also read panel reviews on the Sweetland DRC after the conference http://www.digitalrhetoriccollaborative.org/conference-reviews/cw-reviews/ 

In the past, they've hosted online versions of the conference (called CW99 I believe). The SiteSlab sites that are used for cwcon every year are created by Dan Anderson at UNC, has they've been designed to promote as much interaction and engagement as possible, even if you're not at the conference.

Last year in Maryland, I've never seen so many people live tweet at a conference, so you can follow the feed. Last year they gathered as many people as possible to volunteer and videotape sessions. While I haven't heard anything about that this year, I imagine that it would be happening. 

You can also read panel reviews on the Sweetland DRC after the conference http://www.digitalrhetoriccollaborative.org/conference-reviews/cw-reviews/ 

I'm also pretty sure that we are going to be recording at least a few of the panels with Glass as part of our panel. 

First, bowties, no worries about not attending cwcon! In all honesty, I won't travel to a conference if I'm not presenting; it's just too much time, money, and energy! I think most academics follow the same line of logic. Heja proposed some great solutions to virtually dropping in. Heck, the conference tweeting actually started months ago with the hashtag #cwcon; it seems that the community is in discussion about computers and writing year round! 

Second, I'm excited to see a few cwcon attendees! How are y'all getting to Pullman? I'm flying to Spokane and hoping that the shuttle they promised will be an easy mode of transport to the campus. Anyone else staying in the dorms? 

Unrelated, but I was incredibly excited that next year's is in Wisconsin. Now to prep my own proposal for 2015.

I'm excited, too! It's only an hour from the Cities, so I'd totes use it as an excuse to visit family & friends. 

As for the trip to Pullman, I bought my plane ticket a couple of weeks ago--flying into Spokane. There's no way I'm flying all the way out to that area of the country without bringing my bike, so I'll be doing the Ride2CW this year (probably ride out to Idaho and back). Anyone else thinking about participating in the Ride2CW?

I'm also staying in the dorms, and I'm also hoping that I can find a shuttle returning to Spokane on that Monday. Just like it was last year, this trip is going to be ridiculously expensive (even worse now that I'm transitioning between institutions). I applied for one of the GRN Travel Grants to ease the pain.

...wow, that ended up being a dismal reply. I really am excited for the conference.  

Edited by heja0805

• 5 weeks later...