NDSEG 2009

t_ruth

Has anyone tried calling? I reached the voicemail for a lady that works there. I wish that they would just tell us which of the online messages is correct (today vs later in the week). Is that too much?

Maybe they are held up by NSF. The website says you have a week to accept their fellowship. Anyone know if you get both, which one do you take 1st. If you take NSF 1st, one would think that they have to wait until NSF is close to announcing. Maybe this is a bad sign for NSF too!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were to get the NDSEG I would accept it immediately.

- More money than the NSF (by a couple thousand, but no travel support like the NSF grant, so I guess it evens out)

- They give out between 1/5 and 1/10 as many NDSEG awards as NSF, anyone who you want to be looking at your CV should know the difference.

Can anyone think of any cons? I suppose your CV will have a defense-related stigma, but the way the economy going that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I guess grandma wouldn't know what NDSEG was at thanksgiving dinner, but it's not like they understand why you're in grad school anyway :|

Day 2 of waiting commences.

My field is aero related, so definitely the NDSEG if I had a choice. As for my family, I'm pretty sure I'd get the "that's nice sweetie" that I usually get when I start speaking about what I do. According to my older sister, I make more efficient engines and my brother builds "super secret spy technology".

If I were to get the NDSEG I would accept it immediately.

- More money than the NSF (by a couple thousand, but no travel support like the NSF grant, so I guess it evens out)

- They give out between 1/5 and 1/10 as many NDSEG awards as NSF, anyone who you want to be looking at your CV should know the difference.

Can anyone think of any cons? I suppose your CV will have a defense-related stigma, but the way the economy going that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I guess grandma wouldn't know what NDSEG was at thanksgiving dinner, but it's not like they understand why you're in grad school anyway :|

Day 2 of waiting commences.

If you were so blessed as to receive both, I think you can defer the NSF for two years and that way you get five years of funding (two on NDSEG and three on NSF).

Do I have this right?

You can accept both, but I think there is an order that you have to take them. I do not know this order. In the worst case, the probability of getting NDSEG is 1/2 of NSF chance. I think the probabilities for some of the disciplines are equal. Both of them are a good thing to have on your resume.

Based on this webpage (and talking to the author directly): http://www.stanford.edu/~pgbovine/fellowship-tips.htm

you can use both fellowships in five years by:

accepting both, deferring the NSF for two years, forfeit the NSF on the third year (to use the 3rd year of the NDSEG), then use the NSF for the last two years (thanks to Philip Guo for this advice).

So, in the really-super-awesome case of being offered both, you can get five years out of it.

Based on this webpage (and talking to the author directly): http://www.stanford.edu/~pgbovine/fellowship-tips.htm

you can use both fellowships in five years by:

accepting both, deferring the NSF for two years, forfeit the NSF on the third year (to use the 3rd year of the NDSEG), then use the NSF for the last two years (thanks to Philip Guo for this advice).

So, in the really-super-awesome case of being offered both, you can get five years out of it.

ah, yes! that's what I thought, but missed the part about forfeiting the NSF for one year to get the higher amount from the NDSEG.

I plan on applying for NSF again (and again) if I don't get it even in the off chance I do get NDSEG.

FUCK:

You have been selected as an alternate in the 2009 National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship competition. You will receive an email notification as to whether you have been selected to receive one of the 2009 NDSEG Fellowships on Monday, April 20. We thank you for your interest in the NDSEG Fellowship Program, and will be in touch soon!

Sincerely,

The NDSEG Program Team at ASEE

Just got it...ugh.

I just received the fellowship. My guess is that the emails are going out at the moment.

Good luck everyone.

Tim Weninger

go you rock star! congrats!

Does anyone know what the chances of being selected as an alternate are? I guess the important question is: am I waiting for someone else to turn down their offer, or for the DOD budget committee to decided that additional funds are available? Seems like the chances are non-existent in the former case - can't really envision anyone turning down this offer, but maybe there's hope for the latter case?

I'm no expert, but it's my understanding that government spending was budgeted for this as well as other fellowships a while ago. I'd assume if that stimulus package goes through it'll get trickled to next year. Maybe not.

I definitely thought this sentence:

"NDSEG is very competitive and there were many more qualified applicants than could be funded"

was going to read...

"NDSEG is very competitive and there were many more qualified applicants than you"

Still have the NSF hope alive...

can those of you who made it (or are on a waitlist) post some basic stats (gpa, gre, publications, etc.)?

Well I got the award. And I am no grad school stud. I got a 730Q/580V have a 4.0 GPA, never took the CS Subject GRE. I did have a Top Secret Clearance and several publications.

See http://www.cis.ksu.edu/~weninger if you are interested. I can post my essays if anyone is interested.

Good luck to you all.