Generic Response for Analytical Writing?

clandry

Has anyone here tried using a generic response for the analytical writing section? 

By that I mean, you have a template and maybe even some of the sentences filled in. Of course, this would be a generic sentence, but all you'd have to do during the test is change a few words in the sentence to match the prompt? 

I'm thinking of making up a template and just using that to save some time during the actual test. 

That's a good idea and I honestly have thought of that but what worries me is that I will most likely waste more time adjusting the response to make sure it fits the prompt rather than analytically writing the essay. And you still have to come up with specific examples for every point you make, which I think are unique to the prompt.

That's a good idea and I honestly have thought of that but what worries me is that I will most likely waste more time adjusting the response to make sure it fits the prompt rather than analytically writing the essay. And you still have to come up with specific examples for every point you make, which I think are unique to the prompt.

im just going to wing the essays. If they suck they suck, if not then that's a win too. I jsut hope I understand the questions, and theya ren't cryptic, abstruse, recondite, esoteric, byzantine, or arcane!

i HOPE that I can garnish a copious amount of points, and the Gre will be one step towards the zenith, acme, and pinnacle of my education, a apposed to the nadir of it.

It will be a very lugubrious situation if I don't do well on it :P

hopefully the words  i know are on the test :P i want to do so well that I am lionized by ets :P

I'll be crestfallen and morose, as opposed to sanguine, and elated, if I don't get lionized :P.

Edited by powerlifterty16

I think that's completely unnecessary.  You'll spend time trying to remember what you created as a template, and the wording of your generic sentence, and how to fit it to the prompt.

You need to know the general skeleton outlay - intro, example 1, example 2, example 3, conclusion.  Maybe having a little more fleshed out (like with example 3 you know you want to address a counterpoint, or you want one example to be personal).  But other than that, it's probably best to write it day of because you don't know what you'll get.

^Also, it's perspicacious :D

It seems by using the 3 body paragraph template, at least 2 of the paragraphs should be examples supporting your claim. Should the 3rd be an additional example or a counterpoint to your claim or perhaps a combination of the two? 

It seems by using the 3 body paragraph template, at least 2 of the paragraphs should be examples supporting your claim. Should the 3rd be an additional example or a counterpoint to your claim or perhaps a combination of the two?

I would not approach the essay as you're suggesting. Yes, you will need examples, but the examples should be introduced to support a reason/idea that supports your thesis. If you approach the essay like a middle/high school essay where you have 3 examples that work to support the whole thesis you will not do well -- this model does not allow you to develop a complex point or to show strong critical thinking skills. It is better to have each paragraph address a reason that supports your position or a reason why the position in the prompt is problematic. Examples should then be introduced to help support the reason/idea.

Good luck.

I would not approach the essay as you're suggesting. Yes, you will need examples, but the examples should be introduced to support a reason/idea that supports your thesis. If you approach the essay like a middle/high school essay where you have 3 examples that work to support the whole thesis you will not do well -

Wait. Isn't that what it's suggested - the 3 example/essay rule?

I'm not sure what the middle/high school standards were, but I'm under the impression that you should have 3 body paragraphs with an example for each, but an elaborated example with specifics.

On a side note, Magoosh suggests that for the issue task you have 2 examples supporting your argument, but the 3rd body paragraph should be a concession point, that is, one that is in opposition of your side. They claim that the analytical section is also testing to see if you can make up counterarguments to your side. However, I do not remember Magoosh stating to disprove or undermine this opposition that you come up with, but if you don't do that, I feel like you're weakening your argument. Maybe, even though that Magoosh didn't explicit say this, but perhaps you're supposed to disprove/undermine that opposition? 

Edited by doubled