Modern/contemporary theory and criticism

stephd016

Does anyone have any suggestions for a contemporary theory and criticism program? I would like to do a straight phd track if possible. I'm looking at Pitt, Princeton, Case Western, SAIC, and university of Chicago so far. I want to focus on research with the hopes of becoming a professor.

I took a year off after getting my BA. Graduated with honors from a liberal arts college, presented my original research at two symposiums, and have had a few internships. I'm interested in abject art, contemporary and modern theory. I'd like to think my application is pretty competitive. Any help will be appreciated! I'm pretty confused about where I want to go and where I can get in.

Edited by stephd016

• 3 weeks later...

A few top programs in modern & contemporary that have faculty with a strong emphasis on theory include Harvard (Buchloh), Princeton (Foster), Chicago (Mitchell), MIT (Jones), Columbia (Joseph, Alberro), Stanford (Lee), Yale (Joselit), UC Berkeley (Bryan-Wilson, Davis), UCLA (Kwon, Baker).  Obviously, a lot depends on your advisor, what you want out of a program, how much you care about teaching, etc.  Each of these programs is very different and has strength and weaknesses.  Size matters.  Location matters.  Funding matters (though all of the above should offer you a full ride).

Best,

C.

Just wanted to note that Joselit is leaving Yale for the CUNY Graduate Center. No doubt the department will make a suitable hire shortly. Still, something to keep in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the help! I'm sitting in on a graduate seminar at Princeton this week, so fingers crossed.

I know SAIC doesn't have a phd program but just incase I don't get into one, I figured applying to a few MA programs would be a safe bet.

... Chicago doesn't do much in contemporary. 

This isn't accurate, FYI.  Chicago has Matthew Jesse Jackson and Christine Mehring (and until very recently, Darby English), who advise students in contemporary fields. Though the department recently lost Darby English to the Clark, they're sure to replace him with someone very strong in the very near future.  Additionally, there is productive cross pollination with Cinema Media Studies as well as with the English department (WJT and Lauren Berlant, in particular).

Also, stephd016 - I wouldn't rule out throwing my hat into the ring for Williams for an MA - though they don't have a reputation for theory/contemporary art, they're actually quite strong in these areas... with ties to MASS MoCA, and the option of working closely with Ondine Chavoya and now Darby English -- it could be a very conducive environment.

Oh wow, I didn't know Darby English left Chicago. 

But yes, there is huge emphasis on interdisciplinary work between Art History and Cinema and Media Studies there. Dan Morgan, who just joined CMS there, is co-authoring a book on film and philosophy with Richard Neer (who I believe is already affiliated with CMS despite being primarily in Art History). Gunning and Tsivian both regularly offer courses of interest to both disciplines. And as pointed out, WJT Mitchell and Lauren Berlant both work on cross-disciplinary issues. It really is a fantastic place for anyone interested in modern/contemporary work (because a lot of contemporary art moves between CMS and more traditional "art history").

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to note that Joselit is leaving Yale for the CUNY Graduate Center. No doubt the department will make a suitable hire shortly. Still, something to keep in mind.

i did hear that. when i talked to Yale about a month ago, they haven't hired a replacement yet and don't have plans to in time for the 2014-15 term.

Since Joselit's departure does leave a significant gap in the program's strengths, I have faith in the department that they'll do what's necessary. On the other hand, it'd be unreasonable to expect a lightning-fast replacement, especially in academia where these things take time. 

This isn't accurate, FYI.  Chicago has Matthew Jesse Jackson and Christine Mehring (and until very recently, Darby English), who advise students in contemporary fields. Though the department recently lost Darby English to the Clark, they're sure to replace him with someone very strong in the very near future.  Additionally, there is productive cross pollination with Cinema Media Studies as well as with the English department (WJT and Lauren Berlant, in particular).

Also, if I may add, the department is hiring a replacement for English, as well as a contemporary Latin American scholar. There are other contemporary art curators, with strong theoretical backgrounds, working at UChicago, also offering classes in the Art History department. Come Fall Quarter 2014, the department will never have been stronger in contemporary art and theory. And yes, there is lots of theory at UChicago, but it doesn't have to be in the art history department for a student to take advantage of it.