Chemistry Applications Fall 2014

Chemisto

Damn! Not long ago I made a post about getting into Princeton. I just got an email saying I was admitted to YALE University!!! What a DAY!!!!!!!!

Congrats!! And for everyone, it's still really early. Go to the results page, type in the school and chemistry, and see when most acceptances were last year. Most schools didn't even start giving acceptances until mid-late january. If not for a professor from my SOP emailing me, I still wouldn't know, because I haven't yet received an offer letter. Good luck everyone!

Just got into Washington.

Also, I spoke to Berkeley's Grad Admin Office today (for an unrelated matter. Not my app), and for those interested, here's part of the convo that proceeded:

Me: "I'm not calling to check on the status of my app or anything..."

Nice Lady: "If you were, that'd be fine. But honestly, I always tell applicants they probably find out before we do as the Chem program accepts you way before the actual school does. Anyway, what was your call about?"

Just thought someone might appreciate the info. Good luck everyone!

Just got into Washington.

Also, I spoke to Berkeley's Grad Admin Office today (for an unrelated matter. Not my app), and for those interested, here's part of the convo that proceeded:

Me: "I'm not calling to check on the status of my app or anything..."

Nice Lady: "If you were, that'd be fine. But honestly, I always tell applicants they probably find out before we do as the Chem program accepts you way before the actual school does. Anyway, what was your call about?"

Just thought someone might appreciate the info. Good luck everyone!

Well, don't know about Chem Program in UC berkeley, but I actually got rejected by their MCB program (biophysical chem) today. Although this is the only school I did not apply for the Chem Department, just thought people should be glad that they have not been rejected yet. Am I helping? 

Got 160V, 165M, 1 JACS pub, little weak on GPA, though....Guess that did not impress Berkeley....

Damn! Not long ago I made a post about getting into Princeton. I just got an email saying I was admitted to YALE University!!! What a DAY!!!!!!!!

I also did my college and masters in US, had to apply as international student....and UC irvine had to ask me for TOEFL....anyways, congrats, just wondering what field are you applying for?

More news... got an email for acceptance into Berkeley today. Applied to Department of Chemistry (chemical biology specialization). The stipend for 2014-2015 is $29,250.

So excited since this is my dream school!!

4 visiting weekends (Friday-Saturday, apparently they coordinate with Stanford which has their visits on Wednesday-Thursday in the same weeks):

Feb. 28 - Mar. 1 (organic and pchem emphasis)
Mar. 7-8 (inorganic and pchem emphasis)
Mar. 14-15 (all emphases)
Mar. 21-22 (chembio and pchem emphasis)

Good luck everyone :D

More news... got an email for acceptance into Berkeley today. Applied to Department of Chemistry (chemical biology specialization). The stipend for 2014-2015 is $29,250.

So excited since this is my dream school!!

4 visiting weekends (Friday-Saturday, apparently they coordinate with Stanford which has their visits on Wednesday-Thursday in the same weeks):

Feb. 28 - Mar. 1 (organic and pchem emphasis)

Mar. 7-8 (inorganic and pchem emphasis)

Mar. 14-15 (all emphases)

Mar. 21-22 (chembio and pchem emphasis)

Good luck everyone :D

Congrats!! That's huge. I bet you're elated. Also, thanks for posting the visitation dates

Accepted to Berkeley via phone call from POI in SOP. Organic. Email to follow. He said the acceptances are coming a little late this year so don't panic if you haven't heard!!!

One thing that is confusing is that professor said inorganic and organic dates are switched compared to what @westcoastchemist said. I'll probably call to inquire/confirm. 

Edited by asaprocky

I also did my college and masters in US, had to apply as international student....and UC irvine had to ask me for TOEFL....anyways, congrats, just wondering what field are you applying for?

I applied for Inorganic. UC Irvine asked for your TOEFL? That's ridiculous. Normally if you get an advanced degree (masters) from an American university, the TOEFL is waived. What are you applying for?

Accepted to Berkeley via phone call from POI in SOP. Organic. Email to follow. He said the acceptances are coming a little late this year so don't panic if you haven't heard!!!

One thing that is confusing is that professor said inorganic and organic dates are switched compared to what @westcoastchemist said. I'll probably call to inquire/confirm. 

The professor I talked to mentioned the dates that you heard, I think (i.e. the opposite of what westcoastchemist said).  Figure we'll find out the proper dates soon enough.

Not that guy who posted in the results.  (Wow 5 pubs???)

Anyways, I also got into Columbia with the Dean's Fellowship.  170/165 (Q/V), 850 Chem, 3.6ish GPA (not extraordinary, I know), 3 summers and 1 school year of research, double major.  I've taken quite intensive courseloads, with a ton of music (piano, voice) on top.  No publications.  Interest in Atmospheric Chem.  Think I got good LORs.

Hope that helps.

Not that guy who posted in the results.  (Wow 5 pubs???)

Anyways, I also got into Columbia with the Dean's Fellowship.  170/165 (Q/V), 850 Chem, 3.6ish GPA (not extraordinary, I know), 3 summers and 1 school year of research, double major.  I've taken quite intensive courseloads, with a ton of music (piano, voice) on top.  No publications.  Interest in Atmospheric Chem.  Think I got good LORs.

Hope that helps.

Thank you! When did you receive the notification if you dont mind me asking?

I got into Columbia as well (I was one of the posters). 163 (91%)/164 (89%)/5.0 (93%) on GRE, 760 Chem GRE, 3.81 GPA. 2.5 years of research in a biorganic chemistry lab, no publications as of yet (but possibly one soon *fingers crossed*). Interested in organic chemistry. Three awesome LORs.

I received my email yesterday morning. I'm surprised anyone was sending out acceptance emails on a Sunday morning... But I can deal :P

I just got waitlisted for Princeton. *~*

If I accept x waitlist position, I'm essentially gambling that x number of people will decline, right? But if they don't, I've essentially thrown away the Fall 2014 application season...