Chemistry Applications Fall 2014

Chemisto

It sounds very confusing. Like the previous poster said, try to contact them to clarify the situation. If I may decipher it correctly, I think they are trying to say that your application has gone to the next stage, and you may have to visit them to see if the faculties you are interested in would give you a thumbs up.

I called them. You were right!

Just joining in on the post. I found out from UC-Irvine on Dec. 7. I had only applied 6 days before, but it helps that when I visiting Southern California, that I took a tour and talked to some POIs.  I also found out from Rice Jan 11.  Got a call from a POI.

Currently, I am anxiously waiting for CalTech to get back to me. I had an informal chat with someone from AdCom on Friday who started talking about visiting weekend and the professors there and what I would see. All this before I get official letter. I asked him if I had missed an email or something. He said my acceptance was "likely" and I would hear positive or negative this week. 

He then emailed me to get my last semester grades yesterday. I'm SO NERVOUS.  I thought CalTech was a longshot with my application, but now that its so close, I really want it bad. When I visited, I loved everything about the school, the atmosphere and Pasadena.

Congrats! Schools are obviously thinking really highly of you. Which division are you thinking about pursuing your PhD in?

So...it's another Friday in a long journey. Hope I and you all have at least one official admission email from your wanna be schools today. The weekend is coming but it's not delightful...Cheers everyone. 

So...it's another Friday in a long journey. Hope I and you all have at least one official admission email from your wanna be schools today. The weekend is coming but it's not delightful...Cheers everyone. 

Similar emotions here. Application process followed by couple of months waits has been grueling .Hope it ends today!

may be Berkeley will be nice enough to release their acceptances today and we'll be in the list :) Hoping!

Anyone else getting this notice on the MIT website? WHAT MESSAGES?

13yecdw.png

I don't like to sound as a pessimist but I've heard that MIT usually calls the successful applicants and they are preparing these messages for massive rejections. :(

I, too, am anxious to hear back from Berkeley. Hopefully we will hear by the end of this month! Thanks for looking into it, YABoyAR.

Random question though: I applied to the Scripps-La Jolla campus, and I received this response:

"Based on your research interests, we feel that you would be a great fit for our campus in Jupiter, Florida and invite you to visit during one of our recruiting weekends (see below) to meet with faculty and students.

We note that you have an interest in our California campus; CA admission decisions have not been completed at this time."

I have yet to hear back from the California campus, and I am in the midst of planning out all of my grad school visits. Do you think Scripps would invite me to both the Jupiter and La Jolla campuses? Otherwise, I feel like I would have to switch my visitation dates around.

Anyone else getting this notice on the MIT website? WHAT MESSAGES?

13yecdw.png

Calm down. I've been accepted and when I just checked, the same message pops up. No reason to postulate what message may one day present itself.

IT CHANGED TO BLUE

11il7qp.png

btw thanks YaBoyAR

@mitchemistry #whyareyoudoingthistous

I just checked mine right now and it's blue too.

Also, have any of you received an official letter of admission from Yale?  I've had a professor email me that I would be accepted way back in December, but still no official letter with stipend and other information.  It's making me worry that they might have changed their minds or something.

Hi Everyone!

So I have been a heavy stalker of this site and decided to join. I applied to mostly chemistry, material science, and biomedical engineering programs...so far I have heard back from two schools (interview) but I am still nervously waiting for my top choice  :( . My stats are

International student attended small private college in USA.

GPA: 3.83 

GRE: V 150 Q 157 W 4.5

Research: 2 years including research in my area of interest. I have 2 poster presentations and 1 Oral presentation.

My top choices are: RICE!! ( chemistry- research here is exactly what I want to do) UPENN (material science), JHU (Material science), WashU (Material Science)

Applied: Rice, JHU, UPenn, University of Florida, Vanderbilt, Washington University in St. Louis, University of Nebraska- Lincoln, University of Georgia. 

Accepted:

Rejected:

I am soo nervous!!! Did anyone apply to any of these schools? Have you heard anything? :(  :(  Thanks!

I, too, am anxious to hear back from Berkeley. Hopefully we will hear by the end of this month! Thanks for looking into it, YABoyAR.

Random question though: I applied to the Scripps-La Jolla campus, and I received this response:

"Based on your research interests, we feel that you would be a great fit for our campus in Jupiter, Florida and invite you to visit during one of our recruiting weekends (see below) to meet with faculty and students.

We note that you have an interest in our California campus; CA admission decisions have not been completed at this time."

I have yet to hear back from the California campus, and I am in the midst of planning out all of my grad school visits. Do you think Scripps would invite me to both the Jupiter and La Jolla campuses? Otherwise, I feel like I would have to switch my visitation dates around.

I would call them and ask. I'm sure scripps as a whole is winding down on their applications reviews since the visiting weekends are quickly approaching. 

I would call them and ask. I'm sure scripps as a whole is winding down on their applications reviews since the visiting weekends are quickly approaching. 

I agree. I would call. It seems to me that (not unexpectedly) most people apply to the La Jolla campus. Perhaps they are just saying, "Hey, would you consider our Florida campus instead? Barry Sharpless and Valery Fokin don't work there, but our other profs would love to have you!"

Also, have any of you received an official letter of admission from Yale?  I've had a professor email me that I would be accepted way back in December, but still no official letter with stipend and other information.  It's making me worry that they might have changed their minds or something.

I don't think they've sent out official notices yet from the admissions department. If a professor wants you, which it seems like is the case, I'm sure you'll be fine. I know one person just posted on the results that he was accepted, take that as you'd like. I, personally, think they'll be coming within the week. This is around the time they made decisions last year.

I don't think they've sent out official notices yet from the admissions department. If a professor wants you, which it seems like is the case, I'm sure you'll be fine. I know one person just posted on the results that he was accepted, take that as you'd like. I, personally, think they'll be coming within the week. This is around the time they made decisions last year.

Yea...but the week is almost over and that is the sad point. Btw YaBoyAR, would it be alright if I ask when you received the mail from the UW-Madison? I submitted to it on 1st Jan but haven't heard any from it. I can see many accept letters from Madison in Result page, so almost disappointed but don't want to let the hope go away. I applied to the inorganic. It's my dream school and by looking the decisions last years it seems that if a person don't hear from it until Jan, it is very highly possible to get the rejection on Feb. It do the rolling system..so did you apply early? 

Yeah I received my official Yale admissions letter today actually. It also said to check the website since the decision has also been updated on the online application site. 

Yea...but the week is almost over and that is the sad point. Btw YaBoyAR, would it be alright if I ask when you received the mail from the UW-Madison? I submitted to it on 1st Jan but haven't heard any from it. I can see many accept letters from Madison in Result page, so almost disappointed but don't want to let the hope go away. I applied to the inorganic. It's my dream school and by looking the decisions last years it seems that if a person don't hear from it until Jan, it is very highly possible to get the rejection on Feb. It do the rolling system..so did you apply early? 

My application was complete at the end of October. I got the acceptance on December 30th. I also applied to inorganic. It looks to me, according to the results page, that they're still making decisions. Someone just posted today, in fact. Keep the hope alive and good luck!