Chemistry Applications Fall 2014

Chemisto

Ugh, I got an email from the director of graduate studies (also a POI in my SOP) from Yale saying I was accepted in early January--no update to the website and no letter in the mail.  This is starting to seriously mess with me--I just want to have  concrete offer in my hands!

Yeah I was informed unofficially that I was accepted back in December... Then three more professors informed me that I was in, still unofficially... But I still haven't received the official letter in the mail, although I did get an official acceptance via their website. I'm pretty sure you're concretely in if the directer of graduate studies emailed you though. Don't worry about it. 

Speaking of which, what is the funding information for Yale? I guess I'll be notified soon, but just curious. 

Yeah I was informed unofficially that I was accepted back in December... Then three more professors informed me that I was in, still unofficially... But I still haven't received the official letter in the mail, although I did get an official acceptance via their website. I'm pretty sure you're concretely in if the directer of graduate studies emailed you though. Don't worry about it. 

Speaking of which, what is the funding information for Yale? I guess I'll be notified soon, but just curious. 

Yale: $31,000/year

I emailed them and asked about my status and here is the response " Our decisions are rolling, and as such you can expect decisions to be made from now until about April 1st. That said, once our committee has reviewed and made a decision regarding your application, our department notifies you immediately by email."

Thanks! Boulder is my top choice school, but unfortunately one of my LOR was submitted a day late. I think this put my application on the bottom of the stack. :/

It's nice that Berkeley has four weekends-- if I do get in, they apparently coordinate visits with Stanford so you can visit both on the same weekend. Does anyone have MIT, Caltech, and Carolina visitation dates?

If by Carolina, you refer to UNC-CH, those dates are Mar 14-16 and Mar 28-30

Wow! Congratulations. Thanks for the information.

Thank you!

If by Carolina, you refer to UNC-CH, those dates are Mar 14-16 and Mar 28-30

I appreciate the information, thanks for letting me know. This conflicts with Stanford, Berkeley, MIT, and Washington!

Here's a gem from my NYU acceptance letter: "NYU's offer is not only financially very lucrative..."  I look forward to comparing their offer to Columbia's fellowship.  :)

May I ask what else did they say about funding? I am waiting for the official letter..

May I ask what else did they say about funding? I am waiting for the official letter..

My NYU acceptance was an unofficial email from a PI that contained that sentence and promised details in a few days. Columbia offered $35k +fees and health insurance.

Is there anyone who knows about the application process of University of Wisconsin-Madison? They do the rolling admission process but still haven't heard from it...so nervous.

First post so sorry if formatting gets super messed up. I am an undergrad at UW but am really close to multiple people on different admission committees as well as helping out the graduate coordinators. It is a rolling admission and it depends on which program you are applying to. My PI and another professor I am close with are on the admissions committee for inorganic and still have many more applications to sort through. Materials is also not super far along. That being said analytical, organic, and physical are fairly far along or have decided already. I would say don't be nervous but considering my anticipation to hear from the schools I haven't yet (especially given my rejection from northwestern today) I know this advice would not be listened to =). Hope this information helps.

First post so sorry if formatting gets super messed up. I am an undergrad at UW but am really close to multiple people on different admission committees as well as helping out the graduate coordinators. It is a rolling admission and it depends on which program you are applying to. My PI and another professor I am close with are on the admissions committee for inorganic and still have many more applications to sort through. Materials is also not super far along. That being said analytical, organic, and physical are fairly far along or have decided already. I would say don't be nervous but considering my anticipation to hear from the schools I haven't yet (especially given my rejection from northwestern today) I know this advice would not be listened to =). Hope this information helps.

Thanks Intermetallics. Surprised that you really know such a many things. Really helpful. Thanks again! 

Invited to UCSD interview weekend. It is a little later than others' but it's my first. 

For those who are nerve-racking about MIT, I was told that they will be making majority of their decisions in the period mid-late February,i.e. if you are of average awesomeness that's probably when you should give up hope....

Edited by Chemcki

I am a bit confused about the Tax issues in US.  What percents of the stipends are reduced due to taxes?

I think it varies by state and your nationality. Different country students pay different amount of taxes due to treaties with US govt.