Chemistry Applications Fall 2014

Chemisto

Any internationals committed to a school yet, I'm also an international was wondering when I should commit, not sure how long the visa process would take..

Anyone going to the University of Tennessee Campus Visit?

Btw do any of yall know when Ohio State Visit is?

Has Vanderbilt finished accepting applicants?

Hi! As far as I know, they have a waitlist (10 applicants as of now). Accepted students were emailed encouraging those who are certain they will not take Vanderbilt's offer to decline as soon as possible so as to accommodate those who are in the waitlist. :) I believe deadline for the response is April 15, so they may extend offers to those in the waitlist by then.

PS. I have no idea if they notified the people in the waitlist :)

Hi! As far as I know, they have a waitlist (10 applicants as of now). Accepted students were emailed encouraging those who are certain they will not take Vanderbilt's offer to decline as soon as possible so as to accommodate those who are in the waitlist. :) I believe deadline for the response is April 15, so they may extend offers to those in the waitlist by then.

THANK YOU for the information, greatly appreciate it! :D

Any internationals committed to a school yet, I'm also an international was wondering when I should commit, not sure how long the visa process would take..

Anyone going to the University of Tennessee Campus Visit?

Btw do any of yall know when Ohio State Visit is?

I visited Ohio State for Biophysics this weekend and loved it.

Thanks for this information. I saw recently on the results page that they sent out some more rejections. I haven't heard anything yet, so maybe that is good news? Guess I just have to keep waiting.

Anyone still waiting on Georgia Tech?

I don't think they're done yet. They often take a while longer than many places to finalize all decisions. The snow here wiped out 2 solid weeks of sifting through applications as well.

For people who visited UT this weekend, how was it? 

Some impressions I had, interviewing mostly Inorganic and Analytical professors:

• Funding is difficult: students typically do not get RA funding until after their qualifyings (end of 2nd year), and I met many 3rd to 5th year students who were still teaching, and not because they wanted to.
  • Professors work hard. Graduate students are mostly laid back and have good work-life balance-- the vibe actually borders on unmotivated, at least from what I saw. Some exceptions in the organic division. Austin is an awesome place to live after all.
  • Despite being a top ranked program, a lot of prospectives and students there admitted they didn't really know what they wanted to do, and largely didn't give an impression of being consummate experts in their fields. Exceptions in the 5th years. Many graduate students said that "I didn't really know anything about my project until my 3rd year."
  • Incredible facilities for synthesis and characterization. These are very accessible and open to everyone. Labs are never closed and students can come in at night and during the weekend. Roughly 1:1 student to fume hood ratio.
  • $400 tuition out of pocket. Not sure if this is per year or per semester, but they never brought this up until someone asked it during the initial presentation. However, cost of living is very low and you can live very well without having to drive a car, making the stipend very liveable.
  • The graduate students are largely geared towards joining industry. Many alumni in labs have apparently gone on to tech companies in Dallas, San Antonio and Austin, plus plenty of students in Dow and the oil companies down in Houston.

Anything in particular you were wondering about?

Edited by loginofpscl

For people who visited UT this weekend, how was it? 

I was impressed by the school and the department. I am applying for pchem/theoretical division, and I thought science is really well done there. I loved the variety and any-time access to any equipment you pretty much can imagine. The faculty seemed to be very enthusiastic and encouraging, and well-prepared for the visit.

Graduate students' environment is definitely different from that of Purdue. Graduate students are easy to talk to, but sometimes they seemed not to know what they were going to do, and their goals. However, it was all very friendly and nice, and the hosts were available for questions and conversations.

I looooooved the city! The weather is gorgeous, and it was in 70's during the day, that allowed to walk around in a sleeveless shirt! I've been missing this at Purdue. The campus is huge, and the chemistry building is enormous (although very hard to find the room that you need - pretty confusing numbering of rooms). I loved how the collaborate with other chemistry/biology buildings and share their equipment, and everything is very accessible as I mentioned earlier. Their union is great, and the University coop store is lie 10x larger than that of Purdue - they even have their own water that they produce.

Overall, everything was organized pretty neatly. I met a lot of prospective students as well as current graduate students and I think it was definitely a good choice to go to visit.

Just a question for those who visited - did you guys get charged $100 by the hotel for some reason? I just checked my account and I was charged and I don't know why exactly.

Some impressions I had, interviewing mostly Inorganic and Analytical professors:

• Funding is difficult: students typically do not get RA funding until after their qualifyings (end of 2nd year), and I met many 3rd to 5th year students who were still teaching, and not because they wanted to.
  • Professors work hard. Graduate students are mostly laid back and have good work-life balance-- the vibe actually borders on unmotivated, at least from what I saw. Some exceptions in the organic division. Austin is an awesome place to live after all.
  • Despite being a top ranked program, a lot of prospectives and students there admitted they didn't really know what they wanted to do, and largely didn't give an impression of being consummate experts in their fields. Exceptions in the 5th years. Many graduate students said that "I didn't really know anything about my project until my 3rd year."
  • Incredible facilities for synthesis and characterization. These are very accessible and open to everyone. Labs are never closed and students can come in at night and during the weekend. Roughly 1:1 student to fume hood ratio.
  • $400 tuition out of pocket. Not sure if this is per year or per semester, but they never brought this up until someone asked it during the initial presentation. However, cost of living is very low and you can live very well without having to drive a car, making the stipend very liveable.
  • The graduate students are largely geared towards joining industry. Many alumni in labs have apparently gone on to tech companies in Dallas, San Antonio and Austin, plus plenty of students in Dow and the oil companies down in Houston.

Anything in particular you were wondering about?

About tuition - it's $400 per year, because their yearly tuition for graduate school is $4200

Guys has anyone of you Texas A & M? What are your views about its chemistry department? 

Also, if anyone has visited both Texas Universities i.e. Texas and A & M. What difference you found in the location and the overall University?

I looooooved the city! The weather is gorgeous, and it was in 70's during the day, that allowed to walk around in a sleeveless shirt! I've been missing this at Purdue. 

As a Texan, I can say that the weather is only this gorgeous during the winter. April-October will be humid, 95+ (often 100+) weather everyday. With that said, Austin in one of the coolest cities I know, I'm glad you guys enjoyed the weekend!

Thanks for this information. I saw recently on the results page that they sent out some more rejections. I haven't heard anything yet, so maybe that is good news? Guess I just have to keep waiting.

Good luck!! You can always ask them. Their coordinator is one of the nicest out there, and they respond pretty quickly :) 

Guys has anyone of you Texas A & M? What are your views about its chemistry department? 

Also, if anyone has visited both Texas Universities i.e. Texas and A & M. What difference you found in the location and the overall University?

(TAMU's visit weekend isn't until Mar 6-7th so I doubt there's anyone who has visited both TAMU and UTA (or UTD?) unless they're already a grad student, in which case there are fewer already attending than applying students frequenting this thread.)

(TAMU's visit weekend isn't until Mar 6-7th so I doubt there's anyone who has visited both TAMU and UTA (or UTD?) unless they're already a grad student, in which case there are fewer already attending than applying students frequenting this thread.)

Ohh I am sorry! I thought maybe the visiting weeks have passed. If you or anyone you happen to visit TAMU then do share your experience. Thank You. :)

Anybody visiting UChicago next weekend? or Northwestern? How are you guys getting from the airport to the hotel? thanks!

I actually visited UChicago last weekend. Great place. I took the cab, which costed a lot, while shuttle is a much better choice (like ~1/2 price).